Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2011, 05:34 PM

3 posts, read 3,726 times

Advertisements

Hi. I live in West Orange NJ and have been offered a fantastic job at Montefiore in the Bronx. 27 miles and it has only taken me under 1 hour...so far. Do you all think I am crazy for attempting this? THe ride home at 3am will probably not be an issue, I am just wondering how the traffic might be at 1:30pm and if 1 1/2 hours is realistic to get from NJ to the Bronx. It is a fantastic opportunity for me, and I want to take it, but am nervous about the GWB traffic and 87.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 05:43 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,692,542 times
Default i think the miles might be a little

more like 30-35 miles, as it's about 15 miles from WO to the GSP, then 12 miles to the GWB, then about 4-5 miles to Monte but it's not significantly more

may take 90 mins with I 80 traffic and GWB traffic but less without

there are alternates to the Deegan such as 178th street to B'way to 207th street; H Hudson(toll) to the Mosholu Pkwy or H Hudson to Dyckman Street to 207th street to I 87, you can learn alternates when the Deegan gets backed up like taking 179th street into Sedgwick Ave to cut down on waiting in traffic

Old 05-02-2011, 05:54 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,407,048 times
As long as you are mindful of the traffic on the Hudson crossings, you should be able to make the drive to work within your time frame. The monkey wrench can be afternoon Yankee games, since the Deegan can back-up the GWB and the NJ approaches. The return trip will only be an issue when there is road construction on the GWB and Turnpike.

You can always take the Henry Hudson Parkway through Riverdale to Mosholu Parkway to Gun Hill Road to Montefiore. It does not have lights (except where Mosholu intersects city streets, but Gun Hill is the first light), and rarely has delays, though you do have to pay a toll. The HH Pwy is prone to flooding around W232nd in an especially bad downpour, but that does not occur every time it rains. This route is slightly longer in terms of mileage, but avoids the Deegan, Cross Bronx, and city streets.

I would experiment with your leave time and routes, try it at 1 o'clock and see how early you get to work. Then, you could try it at 1:10, 1:15, etc. up to 1:30 to see if it makes a difference. For my own estimation, I would find that the majority of days, your projected leave time of 1:30 would allow sufficient travel time to get to the hospital, but everyone drives slightly differently, so it might take someone else ten minutes less or fifteen minutes more. You're in the ballpark with your estimates, just remember to adjust for inclement weather and the like on such days, and you should be able to handle the commute.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-02-2011, 05:56 PM

I was going to take 280 to the turnpike to the GWB. So you think it might not be too horrific of a commute? Thanks for the advice.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:02 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
At 1:30PM? No, it should not be horrific.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:34 PM

thank you all. I took the job! I appreciate your input and routes!

Old 05-04-2011, 09:28 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,407,048 times
Congratulations!

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-06-2011, 05:53 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
I think 90 minutes is reasonable to expect for the trip in but 90 minutes is not reasonable to accept as a human being on a day to day basis. Figuring an hour home, adding 2.5 hours to a workday is hard on the psyche.

Have you considered moving closer to the job?

Old 05-07-2011, 08:27 AM

366 posts, read 775,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfrn View Post
Hi. I live in West Orange NJ and have been offered a fantastic job at Montefiore in the Bronx. 27 miles and it has only taken me under 1 hour...so far. Do you all think I am crazy for attempting this? THe ride home at 3am will probably not be an issue, I am just wondering how the traffic might be at 1:30pm and if 1 1/2 hours is realistic to get from NJ to the Bronx. It is a fantastic opportunity for me, and I want to take it, but am nervous about the GWB traffic and 87.
Rt.280(E) to the GSP(N) to Rt. 80(E) to Rt. 46(E) across the GWB to the Henry Hudson(N) to the Mosholu Pkway: total time is less than one hour, if and only if, things are okay at the GWB.

Three things to remember:
1) the Rt. 80 (E) to Rt.46 (E) drive seems like you'll be driving away from the GWB, but what it does is to give you a direct ride to the GWB, rather than loop around and connects with Rt. (4), and 2) get familiar with Fort Lee because their are several shortcuts to get to the toll booths across the bridge, and 3) listen to 1010 NEWS for the traffic updates.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:41 AM

442 posts, read 1,297,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I think 90 minutes is reasonable to expect for the trip in but 90 minutes is not reasonable to accept as a human being on a day to day basis. Figuring an hour home, adding 2.5 hours to a workday is hard on the psyche.

Have you considered moving closer to the job?
thats a medical center, theyre probably a nurse since its a 12 hour shift. thats not an everyday thing they only do like 3 shifts a week, would be too bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: