Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 15,222 times

Advertisements

I am a 26y/o young professional male and I am moving to Brooklyn. I am looking to live in Park Slope and am wondering what area would be the best overall for someone who likes the bar and restaurant scene, has a car, and isn't a huge hipster? Loving close the the subway is also important. Any information about north slope vs center slope vs south slope is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 08:31 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Park Slope - get rid of the car. if you work in the city and take the train, all you will be doing is moving the car from one side of the street to the other- hence "Alternate side of the street parking"

Old 04-14-2011, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 15,205 times
North slope for Bar & Restaurant scene, but generally you'll find these scattered throughout the slope its just that the concentration is higher in the north
South slope way more car friendly in my experience, no question youll find it more convenient

Old 04-15-2011, 11:18 AM

588 posts, read 1,320,035 times
Most people I know in their 20s live in the North Slope near 5th Ave, where there are lots of bars and restaurants, but it's the hardest area of the neighborhood to own a car. I prefer 7th Ave and higher (uphill, closer to the park). Less congested, easier to park, quieter, etc. But keep in mind you're mostly limited to the F train (the 7th Ave & 15th St/Prospect Park stops).

Old 04-15-2011, 12:30 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,282,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax12479 View Post
I prefer 7th Ave and higher (uphill, closer to the park). Less congested, easier to park, quieter, etc.
I will politely disagree.

Easier to park above 7th Ave? I live between 7th and 8th avenues. When I can't find parking near my house, I go below 7th...

Old 04-15-2011, 12:32 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,282,508 times
OP, north slope is the best for you, followed by center, then south. Like people have said, North Slope (in the name streets) near 5th avenue has the "bar scene". There are nice restaurants all over the slope on 5th and 7th avenue. South slope is less expensive, but there's also less amenities directly around you.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:16 PM

588 posts, read 1,320,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSnook View Post
I will politely disagree.

Easier to park above 7th Ave? I live between 7th and 8th avenues. When I can't find parking near my house, I go below 7th...
And I must politely disagree with you

I lived off Prospect Park West in the South Slope and never had trouble parking (agreed, it's harder by 7th Ave).

Old 04-16-2011, 01:56 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,810,079 times
The north slope is most conveniet to the "Q" at 7th Ave and the IRT at Grand Army Plaza. The "F" is found near the border of the south slope at 9th street, where also can be found the "R" on 4th Ave.

Overall, Park Slope has a singular character and is the atypical gentrified brownstone liberal neighborhood. The different parts are largely real estate broker inventions. The North Slope is the classic slope area with the bulk of and the best of brownstone housing. It is the center of Slope life and the most expensive, convenient and desireable. The North Slope, generally, runs from Flatbush Ave to 9th Street.

Some might consider the area from 3rd St to 9th St as the center slope. It's characteristics are similar to the north slope. The area contains Methodist Hospital, and is the least convenient being in the middle between the 7th Ave subway stops; as well as the two main shooping points of 7th and Flatbush and 5th Ave and 9th Street.

The South Slope, generally, begins at 9th street and continues to Prospect or some might say all the way to the Prospect Expessway. This area is the lowest in density, the least convenience, and has a slightly lower level of housing with lesser brownstone and brick housing. House and Rent is relatively lowest.

Park Slope, in general, is family friendly and oriented. There are restaurants throught out with a concentration on the main drag 7th Ave from Flatbush Ave onward. 5th Ave is the main drag of the lower slope with its own concentration of bars and restaurants, and a slightly greater emphasis on single life. Also, there is a number of lesbian focused hangouts.

Parking is a SERIOUS issue! It would not be advised to bring a vehicle. There is VERY little off street parking. What there is comes at a high premium, and costs in the tens of thosands to own, and in the hundreds per month to rent, if you are lucky to find a spot available. The saving grace is the relatively lenient street parking rules compared to other neighborhoods.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:22 AM

2 posts, read 13,887 times
can someone tell me is 10 st. around the 400 number houses is considered Prime, thinking of renting and as single woman I do need to feel safe at night..well all the time.
your answer will be very helpful and appreciated, thanks all

Old 12-15-2013, 07:32 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef1004 View Post
I am a 26y/o young professional male and I am moving to Brooklyn. I am looking to live in Park Slope and am wondering what area would be the best overall for someone who likes the bar and restaurant scene, has a car, and isn't a huge hipster? Loving close the the subway is also important. Any information about north slope vs center slope vs south slope is appreciated

Having a car in Park Slope is a real disadvantage.... I like the area but parking on the street there is a real
pain--- why are you limiting yourself to Park Slope--- you will no doubt get a lot of exercise dodging the stroller moms which is who lives for the most part in Park Slope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City