Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2011, 06:28 AM

518 posts, read 1,581,820 times

Advertisements

Ive always loved pre wars for the high ceilings and thick walls, moldings and large windows - just the overall "sturdiness" of the units - when a place opened in our price range we jumped on it.

- As soon as I saw the lobby I knew it was a younger building - it was clean, well kept, but looked different than the last few pre wars we were viewing. - right off the bat the major difference was the much lower ceilings.

Can anyone tell me about Bronx coops built in the 50's? All I know about the building is that it is a 6 floor elevated building, built in '53.

What Im really concerned about is sound traveling above and below me. I have a 1 yr old, and dont want her toddling feet to dive the ppl below us crazy (we will put rugs down, of course) But i remember my exp living in a brownstone in Bed_Stuy and you could hear EVERYTHING that went on upstairs, even with rugs. You would hear voices , ppl putting pots and pans away - it was pretty distracting.

We are in negotiations, so I guess this post is a bit late - just wondering - there are way too many pluses to keep me away from this place - just curious- thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 06:51 AM

9,249 posts, read 24,110,606 times
IMO,50's buildings aren't as solid/soundproof as prewar buildings but they are more solid/soundproof than 60's,70's,80's,etc buildings.Materials and soundproofing,etc seem to get worse every decade.The worst buildings are the most recent.A lot of the buildings that went up during the last decade are complete and total crap.

This is an example and it's not an exception,it's the rule.
Disgruntled Northside Piers Buyers Declare War on Toll Brothers - Complaints Dept. - Curbed NY

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...D2qR6QDJAt6kRO

Old 04-08-2011, 07:57 AM

518 posts, read 1,581,820 times
yikes - I hope i fare a bit better than those poor slobs in their luxury condos

Old 09-11-2018, 08:23 PM

497 posts, read 285,553 times
It seems like the 40s might have been the last decade for great, ornate buildings.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:54 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,365,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
IMO,50's buildings aren't as solid/soundproof as prewar buildings but they are more solid/soundproof than 60's,70's,80's,etc buildings.Materials and soundproofing,etc seem to get worse every decade.The worst buildings are the most recent.A lot of the buildings that went up during the last decade are complete and total crap.

This is an example and it's not an exception,it's the rule.
Disgruntled Northside Piers Buyers Declare War on Toll Brothers - Complaints Dept. - Curbed NY

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...D2qR6QDJAt6kRO
I think it really depends on a number of factors. Why not just ask the neighbors or people from. The building?

Old 09-12-2018, 09:53 AM

1,486 posts, read 994,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Future View Post
yikes - I hope i fare a bit better than those poor slobs in their luxury condos
Im going to be honest here. the luxury apartments they put up recently are total ****!! when ever I stayed in one I can hear everything on the floor!!! Can you imagine hearing your neighbor sneeze? The only thing you cannot hear is those above you or below you. I had one neighbor where I heard their alarm clock every morning while I was sleeping because they put their alarm clock in the living room that shared a wall with my bedroom. when I spoke to them about it they said they put it in the living room so it encourages them to get up from the bed to turn it off . After a few kindly placed words they moved it to the bedroom.

Pre war buildings are terrible too. you can hear everything even though the floors are thick. if you have a heavy set female that likes to wear heels above you you will never get any sleep.

The most sound proof buildings ive been in were project buildings. these buildings actually had a cinderblock worth of solid thickness between the apartments. The only thing I heard was those above me if they had their window open and I had mine open as well. And the loud music as well but that wasn't too often
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City