Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 04:48 AM

4 posts, read 7,025 times

Advertisements

Wife and I are considering a move to Rockaway Park. I work in midtown and would be leaving around 3:30AM from B116th. I've worked these hours for 6 years and I've lived on the N/R and Q lines in Bay Ridge and Sheepshead Bay. I'm fine with the homeless...they're unavoidable and unless the stench is unbearable, they don't bother me. I sit in the conductor car and mind my own. I'm not a big guy by any means. I don't call attention to myself with an iPhone or iPad.

I know the A train goes through some unsavory parts of Brooklyn on its way to Manhattan and it's generally thought of as one of the worst lines. But seriously, just how bad is it? Is it worth rethinking living there all together? Driving in on a daily basis is not an option as it's not in my budget. Looking for honest answers. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 06:18 AM

518 posts, read 1,581,570 times
You answered your own question: You keep to your self, you dont flash your valuables, and you sit near the conductor - You've pretty much taken all the right steps - now its up to fate.

- I used to live in Bed-Stuy, Norwood stop and worked over night so I was hopping on A train between 10pm - 12 am Wed- Sunday - I LIVED in the bad area- most people were just tired and were trying to get home or like me, going to work. No one was riding the train to start trouble. I think the most trouble is during school hours when packs of teens feel embolden by their sheer numbers, THATS the only time I ever feel unsafe.

As a female, no one tried any funny business with me. Stay near the conductor, its the safest place to be.

Riding the subway is probably safer than walking around at night at the same time - Id say, ALWAYS be diligent, never fall asleep, and maybe invest in a can of pepper spray. Your biggest "problem" is going to be boredom..I think you will be fine.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:55 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,823,376 times
I wouldn't do it.

What is the problem with the driving budget?

Gas? Tolls? Parking?

Depending on what the issue is, consider driving to a different train line. Into Brooklyn or into Queens. I'd go for an F or R line station with good parking. Minimizes the budget issue and avoids the A train. Maybe even save some time. Lots of folks drive to a convenient subway, park and ride.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
I wouldn't do it.

What is the problem with the driving budget?

Gas? Tolls? Parking?

Depending on what the issue is, consider driving to a different train line. Into Brooklyn or into Queens. I'd go for an F or R line station with good parking. Minimizes the budget issue and avoids the A train. Maybe even save some time. Lots of folks drive to a convenient subway, park and ride.
Driving has a few issues. Money being the main one. I really can't afford $15/day to park, the $10/week avg in tolls and the gas. Plus, we only have one car and my wife needs it a lot for her and the kid.

We absolutely love the apartment we found, and the area seems to be good too. The only thing making us question the decision is my early commute.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:58 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,826,115 times
I really dont think it would be a problem.
The trains aren't as bad as they used to be. Your sitting in the right car--no fancy gadgets to draw attention---just keep your eyes open and your mouth shut.
You can't hide from crime. You cant pass up on a new pad because of a SHORT commute through a bad area. The whole ride isn't thru the ghetto---just some parts of it.
Live your life.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:10 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,312,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkFebruary View Post
I know the A train goes through some unsavory parts of Brooklyn on its way to Manhattan and it's generally thought of as one of the worst lines. But seriously, just how bad is it? Is it worth rethinking living there all together? Driving in on a daily basis is not an option as it's not in my budget. Looking for honest answers. Thanks!
The A train goes through many unsavory parts not to mention the knuckleheads that it picked up in Far Rockaway, probably the worst area of QUeens. Also that commute is gonna suck big. I lived not far from there for awhile and it took forever just to get into midtown.
Personally I dont think its a great Idea but as ive said b4, u ask enough people on CIty Data and eventually you'll get the answer you want to hear

Old 03-31-2011, 04:51 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,815,719 times
@ jacktravern can only rep you once... but its so true... to be honest though with the A train, it isn't as bad as it used to be... and as long as you don't act scared or draw attention to yourself like the annoying hipsters do and end up getting beat up for it, you shouldn't have a problem...

Old 03-31-2011, 07:09 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,453,894 times
I would rethink it.

One of the questions I always ask myself is "What train is in that area" and sometimes I can tell how the neighborhood will be.
(Past a certain point of course. I'm not saying the TRAIN is bad but you guys know what I'm talking about)

Bottom line if you're questioning the train line, which will be your daily commute (whether for work or just recreational) it's not worth it to move there. Especially since driving isn't an option. Keep searching, I'm sure there are other areas in the city, especially Brooklyn, you can afford and will love!

Old 03-31-2011, 10:04 PM

34,175 posts, read 47,407,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkFebruary View Post
Wife and I are considering a move to Rockaway Park. I work in midtown and would be leaving around 3:30AM from B116th. I've worked these hours for 6 years and I've lived on the N/R and Q lines in Bay Ridge and Sheepshead Bay. I'm fine with the homeless...they're unavoidable and unless the stench is unbearable, they don't bother me. I sit in the conductor car and mind my own. I'm not a big guy by any means. I don't call attention to myself with an iPhone or iPad.

I've lived in Rockaway my whole life. I take the train all hours of day and night. Hell, when I was 14 years old I used to hang out in the Bronx with my best friend and we used to come home on the train at 4-5 AM on a weekend night. Never had a problem. Of course take precaution (no valuables out, yadda yadda yadda) but you should have no problem whatsoever.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-01-2011, 06:18 AM

I'm really appreciating everyone's replies. Anyone else who has some insight I'd love to hear it, but a very sincere thanks to everyone who has given me advice so far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City