Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 11:48 AM

36 posts, read 122,655 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to New York from California, and are looking for an apartment in the SW corner of Brooklyn, in the Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst area. We are considering using a broker due to our distance, but are also somewhat apprehensive about the concept.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good companies, perhaps who specialize in that area? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 12:31 PM

824 posts, read 2,790,980 times
Real estate agents here in Bay Ridge are as ubiquitous as Starbucks in Manhattan. Walk down 3rd Ave in the 80s and there is at least one per block. It is hit-or-miss, just like Manhattan they advertise seemingly great cheap apartments, but when the time comes to actually look, reality doesn't always match the ads. If you can't actually be here to take a look...that's not good. For example I looked at a few apartments where the building looked fine on the outside but the apartments were unrenovated. So doing a google street view would have done me no good.

Someone said that Jabour was good, but I can't personally vouch.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:48 PM

Well, we should be able to fly out for a weekend to look in person and take care of paperwork, it's more a matter of getting a number of options lined up for us ahead of time...

Old 01-29-2011, 06:01 PM

650 posts, read 2,517,109 times
I know these areas well. What are you looking for (budget, amount of bedrooms, any other needs) etc..

Old 01-29-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureistheword View Post
I know these areas well. What are you looking for (budget, amount of bedrooms, any other needs) etc..
Either 1.5 or 2 bedrooms, something on the cheap end (preferably under 1300 if possible, definitely under 1500) and hopefully parking and laundry if possible and not too far from the subway either.

I found one place that seems to fit all this (http://newyork.backpage.com/Apartmen...-7700/18654339) but it seems pretty cheap and I question if it's legit

Old 01-30-2011, 08:04 AM

650 posts, read 2,517,109 times
Its possible. In that area (Bensonhurst), you can get some good deals.
$1300 for a 2BR can be done, although usually these kind of buildings (larger buildings with elevator, live in super, laundry room, garage) the prices are higher, usually at least 1500.
Could be legit, but maybe speaks to the quality of the building. The area itself is quite safe.

Pretty common in some of these areas are smaller buildings, usually 4 family (usually meaning 2 apts on ground floor, 2 on the 2nd floor). You can get the best price deals this way, but would lose out on the other amenities you list.

If you are only out here for a couple days, have your paperwork organized. Some building mgmts will ask for tax returns, pay stubs, employer reference letter, bank statement, copy of ID etc with the application

Old 01-30-2011, 10:36 AM

Noted. Regarding parking, is street parking the norm in that area? Is it a hassle?

Old 01-30-2011, 04:06 PM

110 posts, read 219,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMountain View Post
Noted. Regarding parking, is street parking the norm in that area? Is it a hassle?
Street Parking in all of brookln is pretty much a nightmare, there are a few reputable realtor agencies in bay ridge. I live in Bensonhurst and it is a neighborhood that is not as nice as it used to be but still safe.

Just out of curiosity, why would a person from California pick a place like bay ridge to live?

Old 01-30-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeSI View Post
Street Parking in all of brookln is pretty much a nightmare, there are a few reputable realtor agencies in bay ridge. I live in Bensonhurst and it is a neighborhood that is not as nice as it used to be but still safe.

Just out of curiosity, why would a person from California pick a place like bay ridge to live?
Can you give me any names?

Regarding picking bay ridge, I have some friends out there who's brother lived in bay ridge a few years ago when I went to visit and so I saw it a little bit hanging out with them and it seemed like a nice area, also it's on the cheaper end so that's good. Finally, my wife will be working down in New Jersey so living in that area minimizes her commute while still having access to the subway. It may not ultimately be our ideal neighborhood, but it seems like a good place to start at least.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:28 PM

*bump*

Anybody got any names?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City