Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 05:34 PM

10 posts, read 59,730 times

Advertisements

I'm Chinese myself so this is not a racist post. I'm just wondering how did it go from non-chinese to 99% chinese.

anyone know?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 06:31 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,894,290 times
there's also a ton of Indian stores closer down toward the LIE. I don't know how these form, but I presume groups settle then start businesses.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:58 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,970,243 times
Before the businesses can move in, the people have to move in. Slowly the chinese moved into the area, most likely still commuting to old chinatown in Manhattan. Then some smart chinese business persons brought up more commercial real estate, and residential real estate and began marketing to the Chinese. This was easy for them to do because at the time everyone was moving to the suburbs, so Flushing RE was getting cheap, and stores were going out of business.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:01 PM

912 posts, read 2,100,573 times
Welcome to the 90's Mr. Banks

Old 03-16-2014, 08:16 PM

181 posts, read 218,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inception312 View Post
I'm Chinese myself so this is not a racist post. I'm just wondering how did it go from non-chinese to 99% chinese.

anyone know?

thanks
Koreans

Old 03-16-2014, 08:55 PM

31,931 posts, read 27,028,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inception312 View Post

anyone know?

thanks
Same as parts of Bayridge in Brooklyn and elsewhere in NYC, whites (Italians, Irish, etc...) fled as the area began to "tip", and once that process was well underway the remaining followed.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:36 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,262,928 times
Flushing was actually quite a Jewish area. The baby boomer kids who graduated college in the 1970's and 1980's moved to the suburbs. Their parents, many of whom owned businesses on Main Street, aged out. As a prior poster stated, real estate was very cheap at this time. Hard to believe, but Main Street had really gone downhill.

So there was an opportunity for another ethnic group to move in and the Chinese took it. And because you could take the #7 train from Manhattan's Chinatown to Grand Central, and then the #7 line to Flushing, it made the transition easy.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:40 PM

206 posts, read 294,578 times
Alot of Main St between Northern Blvd and Elder Ave got bought up by Chinese interests but the entire surrounding area is not 99% Chinese. Northern Blvd directly to the east is mostly Korean businesses, and to the west is for all intents and purposes entirely Latino all the way to Woodside.

Flushing used to be Irish, Italian, Jewish - Koreans starting coming in the 60s, Chinese later in the 80s or 90s. If you go down Main St in the Jewel Ave area you'll find a huge Jewish community almost exclusively Jewish businesses - closed on Sat of course.

As far as Main St is concerned, my guess is that after Koreans started moving in, followed a few decades later by Chinese, the last 20 years have seen the Chinese economy become a major player on the world stage, and with a thriving Chinese community in Flushing and CHEAP real estate compared to other parts of the city Chinese interests saw an opportunity and started building bigger buildings - malls, hotels, apt complexes, all geared towards that established community - non-union labor of course.

If LaGuardia wasn't so close that zoning doesn't allow it you better believe Flushing would be another Shanghai right now with crazy ass skyscrapers.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:25 PM

181 posts, read 218,484 times
Is Roosevelt Ave/Union St Chinese or is this a Korean area?

Old 03-16-2014, 10:32 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,970,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Vigoda View Post
Alot of Main St between Northern Blvd and Elder Ave got bought up by Chinese interests but the entire surrounding area is not 99% Chinese. Northern Blvd directly to the east is mostly Korean businesses, and to the west is for all intents and purposes entirely Latino all the way to Woodside.

Flushing used to be Irish, Italian, Jewish - Koreans starting coming in the 60s, Chinese later in the 80s or 90s. If you go down Main St in the Jewel Ave area you'll find a huge Jewish community almost exclusively Jewish businesses - closed on Sat of course.

As far as Main St is concerned, my guess is that after Koreans started moving in, followed a few decades later by Chinese, the last 20 years have seen the Chinese economy become a major player on the world stage, and with a thriving Chinese community in Flushing and CHEAP real estate compared to other parts of the city Chinese interests saw an opportunity and started building bigger buildings - malls, hotels, apt complexes, all geared towards that established community - non-union labor of course.

If LaGuardia wasn't so close that zoning doesn't allow it you better believe Flushing would be another Shanghai right now with crazy ass skyscrapers.
I am pretty sure the koreans moved in much after the chinese. No one ever heard of a korean neighborhood until the late 90s, and even then still speculative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City