Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 07:43 PM

9 posts, read 13,992 times

Advertisements

First post here. I really want to move to NYC. The biggest city I have ever lived in was Tallahassee, FL while I was in college. Aside from that, I have lived in the same small town i was raised in. It sounds corny and cliche, but I have wanted to move to NYC for as long as I can remember. The city just feels so alive as opposed to south florida. Does anybody have any good advice on how to go about making this move? I have extensive knowledge as a Wine store manager for the last 3 years, so i know both the wine side and managerial side. Are there many wine stores in NYC? Also what would be reasonable neighborhoods to live in? I've only been to NYC once so I don't know anything about it other than that it is where i ultimately would like to live. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 09:22 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
thers alot of wine stores in nyc. i remember i passed by one in park slope brooklyn. For niegborhoods to move into I suggest astoria and williamsburg since many out of towners live there. Its cheaper then manhattan and close to manhattan and of course those areas have wineshops so you can possibly work close to home.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:53 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
First advice: see what you can do about employment before deciding to make the move. Second: prepare for culture shock. If the biggest city you've ever lived in was Tallahassee, New York is going to knock you over backwards. (Keep one word in mind: more. Whatever you've seen anywhere else--good, bad, or indifferent--we've got more of it here).

Old 09-30-2010, 08:07 AM

769 posts, read 2,051,678 times
NYC is way different than Tallahassee and any small town in FL. What is your degree in? Maybe that will help you more than your wine experience.

How do you know you want to live in NYC if you have only been there once? Most people only go to Manhattan and the tourist attractions on their first trip. My advice would be to visit in January/February for 2 weeks or as long as you can stay. Visit all the boroughs, not just Manhattan. Then decide if you really want to live in NYC.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the info and replies so far. I really can't explain the exact reasons for wanting to move to NYC. I'm just looking for a change from my current situation and I've always wanted to live in NYC. I'm young and really have nothing tying me to the area I live. I visited NYC for a week, and although I was on vacation and was bound to have a good time, the whole trip was incredible. It sounds so corny and cliched, but there was just an energy about NYC that was really great. Anyways, I only have an AA degree, no bachelors, but like stated before, I have a substantial amount of managerial experience in retail, wine store in particular. I would never move until I had a job in hand, but I was just trying to get a feel for how large an industry wine stores are in NYC and hopefully spend a week and a half trying to track down a job.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:13 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Come to New York on a week vacation prepared to interview.
Find a list of every wine/liquor store in the boroughs you are willing to live in.

Drop of resumes at each one regardless of if they are hiring.

If you can find a job that pays over 40K, (50K in Manhattan) then you can prepare to move.
Regretfully, in all honesty, there is very little turnover in the industry, many managers are owners- and the Citywide Unemployment numbers are quite high.

Regretfully, it is very difficult to move to New York from a place that has such a small COL.
It's why people here can retire down south and live okay, but vice versa does not exist.
I don't agree with the way this system is set up, but it is what it is.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:37 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,307,103 times
Better make sure you have a stable and decent paying job, don't go if you don't. Stable is probably the most important part of that. I don't know if anyone has ever told you that, but, yea, you wanna make sure you got a secured job that will cover you very well. Don't go until you have the job secured. Oh, and stay there a little bit before moving there to see if that is what you really want. See if you have any family or friends there and ask if you can stay with them (while offering to pay of course, unless they give you a favor) to see if it is really what you want. I grew up visiting NYC a whole lot, had family there, studied everything about NYC, I was obsessed with NYC as a kid, teen and young adult (still am), but I was there one time and I realized that I couldn't live there (at least not in Manhattan) and that is when I realized that my heart was in something a little less crowded and busy. So, you may think you want to move there, but you really got to look at that before making that move. It's my favorite place, no doubt, but I just don't think I could live there because of how connected I am to outdoors stuff, nature, etc. and just places where I can chill, clear my mind and relax. Sometimes and for some people, NYC is best to just visit as much as you can. With my career plans, I still get that itch to move to the area, but I am realistic about whether I would be happy there or not.

I know that passion for moving to NYC, so I hope that you go in and do whatever it takes to see if that is for you. There's a lot to be had and experienced in NYC, so everybody deserves that experience. The internet is your BEST tool, so I would hit it to discover more about wine stores and management.

Last edited by SoEdible; 10-01-2010 at 01:46 PM..

Old 10-02-2010, 09:31 AM

Thanks again for all the replies and advice. Two quick points. I will also be moving with my fiance so there will be two incomes coming in. Hopefully with our combined income we can make it work. Second, what kind of utility bills will I be looking at? Having never lived in a cold weather environment, I don't even know where to begin guessing how much gas would be along with electricity. The more research i conduct, the more i'm liking queens. Maybe astoria or somewhere in there or possibly brooklyn. What are some nice areas in brooklyn. Obviously this is all dependent on getting a job.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:49 AM

756 posts, read 2,279,840 times
Heat is included in most buildings, so you won't have to worry about ridiculously high electric bills.

Lots and lots of wine shops, so you certainly won't have trouble finding places to apply - it will just be nailing the job that's more difficult.

Good luck!

Old 10-03-2010, 01:29 PM

Thank you again for all the good advice. I think i may have found a possibility. Does anyone know the Flatiron district in manhattan? Also, looking at a reasonable 2br apartment on riverside, also in manhattan. Is it a good area? I was thinking either brooklyn or queens would be a better place to live, but the apartment i found was very affordable, just wondering if its in a decent neighborhood. Flatiron would hopefully be where i would be working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City