Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 09:13 AM

479 posts, read 1,448,671 times

Advertisements

I agree with a few here too! Bloomberg for life! Best mayor ever and look how well we are compare to the rest of the nation! No other Mayor will have be able to do anything. I guess he has the right vision, plans things well and good connections out there.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/31/ny...er=rss&emc=rss

Quote:
The typical New Yorker is less likely to be unemployed or facing foreclosure or bankruptcy than the average American. Homes in the metropolitan area have held their value better than in most other big cities as more people are moving to the region than deserting it. Tourists continue to flock to the city, filling hotel rooms at the highest rate in the country, and at rising prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 10:25 AM

2,251 posts, read 6,991,660 times
I would agree the recession hasn't hit NYC as hard as other people. Bloomberg best mayor ever? No way.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:58 PM

9,253 posts, read 24,233,263 times
We definitely haven't had it as bad as most of the rest of the country but we haven't had it better than "everyone else" and Bloomberg had nothing to do with it.

We can thank the depth and diversity of the economy of the whole region and Bloomberg is not the mayor of the region.

There are a few parts of the country,including Boston and Washington, that actually had even less of a recession than New York and Bloomberg isn't the mayor of Boston or Washington either.They just have great economies.
Ten cities managing to weather the recession - Business - Forbes.com - msnbc.com

Old 09-02-2010, 03:11 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,746,194 times
Anybody could get a job in NYC. NYC has always had a strong job market, so you can't say Bloomberg had anything to do with it.

The job market won't see any problems in the future. New York is projected to create jobs in the next 10 years.

As far as the foreclosure issue goes, it would never be a problem. You have to remember that most New Yorkers don't even own homes, so foreclosure will never be a problem.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:01 PM

768 posts, read 1,767,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Anybody could get a job in NYC. NYC has always had a strong job market, so you can't say Bloomberg had anything to do with it.
What is this strong job market you're talking about? So-o-o many people I know have been looking for a job for ages and have not been able to find one. Sure, maybe you can get a minimum wage job, but I can't seem to find any worthwhile prospects. Been unemployed for over two years and my benefits just ran out. In all that time, had a handful of interviews and no calls to come back for a second. Can't even begin to guess how many resumes I've sent out! Many of my friends, acquaintances, and I are always lamenting that we can't find work.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:19 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,356,076 times
NYC is the largest city in America so of course it will be the most financially stable city. It's obvious that a city like NYC would fare better in a recession then "Newsuburbville, Arizona" [not a real location] because the NYC economy is more stable and established.

It's not really that directly related to politics.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:37 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,080,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
What is this strong job market you're talking about? So-o-o many people I know have been looking for a job for ages and have not been able to find one. Sure, maybe you can get a minimum wage job, but I can't seem to find any worthwhile prospects. Been unemployed for over two years and my benefits just ran out. In all that time, had a handful of interviews and no calls to come back for a second. Can't even begin to guess how many resumes I've sent out! Many of my friends, acquaintances, and I are always lamenting that we can't find work.
There aren't even minimum wage jobs.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:35 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,513,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekitor View Post
I agree with a few here too! Bloomberg for life! Best mayor ever and look how well we are compare to the rest of the nation! No other Mayor will have be able to do anything. I guess he has the right vision, plans things well and good connections out there.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/31/ny...er=rss&emc=rss

WOW, I would like a hit of whatever you are on!!!

The economy of NYC, as I have mentioned on this forum before, is intertwined with that of Wall Street. As goes Wall Street, so goes NYC. Since Wall Street, and it's gang of thieves, cannot be allowed to fail, NYC will never be allowed to fail.
The main reason our economy has not felt the same pain is simply that, despite almost completely destroying the American economy with their greed, the Thieves of Wall Street received no punishment and quickly reestablished their over inflated profits and bonuses. The crumbs they allow to fall into the NYC economy allowed it to persevere.
Do not fool yourself though. The average resident of NYC has felt the pain. The difference between the salaries of the average worker and "executives" is at an all time high. THAT you can thank Bloomberg for. He is one of the main forces behind creating the two caste system, haves and havenots, in this city. His buddies are the haves and were a strong force in supporting his reelections-the legitimate one (maybe) and the one he bought.
Bloomberg is NO FRIEND to the poor, unemployed, hourly workers, middle class, public servants or the schoolchildren of NYC. The damage he has done will take years to repair. And our taxes, not his profits, will have tp pay for it.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:43 AM

4,438 posts, read 7,726,839 times
The outer boroughs are still feeling the pain. Housing is still down in the outer boroughs, as opposed to Manhattan, which is re-upped!

Old 09-05-2010, 05:40 PM

244 posts, read 667,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
The economy of NYC is intertwined with that of Wall Street. As goes Wall Street, so goes NYC.
Bloomberg is NO FRIEND to the poor, unemployed, hourly workers, middle class, public servants or the schoolchildren of NYC.
Also, Bloomberg BOUGHT the election.

There are multiple ecomonies in NYC. Wall St. really has nothing to do with Main St. The main issue here is that NYC IS BROKE.
Very soon, you are going to start to see major services cut; garbage won't ge picked up in certain areas, pot holes not filled, snow not removed, less police, etc . . .

There will only be a few "green zones" in the city that will be safe, . . mostly where the rich a**h*les live.

NY is not the only state broke. This is happening all over America.
America is broke and has debt it can NEVER pay back.
America is going to be Mexico City soon.
Gangs are going to be on the prowl big time.

BTW, the New York Times is not to be trusted for anything.
Or as Gerald Celente calls it, "the toilet paper of record" lol :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1H2T...?v=L1H2TUiuCuc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: