Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2010, 06:38 AM

17 posts, read 99,522 times

Advertisements

My husband is using a friend's address on his resume as he applies for jobs because we currently live in Ohio. He is planning to tell anyone who asks that I have already gotten a really good job and that we just moved out there. He would be able to start right away and stay with those same friends until we find a place, so it would be no different to the employer than if he did live there. I'm just worried that they will find out that he lied and it will hurt the first impression that they get of him. Has anyone else done this before and do you have any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 09:46 AM

769 posts, read 2,050,735 times
How would they know that he lied? Is he currently employed in Ohio?

Old 09-03-2010, 07:15 AM

17 posts, read 99,522 times
No he's not. I'm just thinking if he is talking to his new coworkers and it comes up in conversation that I actually don't have a job yet (since I'll quit my current job when he finds one) and that we just moved and are there for the first time. Also, they will find out that we don't live on the Upper West Side
Do you think they'll care or that they'll understand?

Old 09-03-2010, 07:22 AM

442 posts, read 1,296,810 times
thats nobodys business. you are free to move where you want when you want and they dont need to know about your occupation. i dont see how anyone would find out, i think your being a bit paranoid no offense. relax your fine ive done much worse

Old 09-03-2010, 07:39 AM

769 posts, read 2,050,735 times
I wouldn't worry about it. You can tell them you were subletting temporarily on the UWS and then moved when you found something permanent.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:57 AM

24 posts, read 50,102 times
My friend once used my address to get her son into a good elementary school in my neighborhood. Six months after, she changed the address to her resident that they moved. The boy is still the school. I see nothing wrong with it. good luck.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:45 AM

66 posts, read 259,086 times
I don't blame you for worrying, but I think you should be fine. No need to construct an elaborate lie, either-- What if he said something like, "We're in the process of relocating for my wife's work..." That way, he's not saying anything explicitly untrue, but he is implying that he is based in NYC and ready to start a job there ASAP. It's frankly none of his potential coworkers' business what your specific work situation is. If he had to explain not being available immediately to a potential employer, he could just say that he has been going back and forth between Ohio and NYC to facilitate the move, and will need to fly/drive back into town.

I'm in a similar boat-- I'll be looking for work remotely from out of state, but have been told again and again that not having a New York address will hurt me. I was also thinking of using a friend's address on my resume, or maybe just getting a NYC PO Box. The thing is, I'm still at my current job in Chicago and won't quit until I have something lined up in NYC or until we have to move to the city for my husband's work in late December. I'll be honest and upfront if I'm given the chance to explain the situation, I just don't want my resume thrown out without being read.... I'd also appreciate any tips!

Old 09-07-2010, 09:30 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,595,578 times
The only problem with using a fake address on your resume is that the company will, of course, find out about it. They'll have to; the paycheck has to be issued to someone, and appropriate state taxes taken out.

Is this going to hurt you? That depends on the company. I've known instances where lying about one's address resulted in termination. As always, people do what they want to. (Sometimes they just don't like to accept responsibility for the consequences!)

Old 09-07-2010, 10:02 AM

243 posts, read 1,333,764 times
If your husband seeks employment anywhere in the country with any government agency or private employer that does serious background checks what they do is pull a work history report from the social security department which has the names of any on the books employers and dates of employment from any job an applicant has held. They will compare that sheet side by side with any employers and dates of employment given on the application by the applicant and they will be checking primarily to see if the dates of employment and all the employers applicant lists match that sheet. So somebody can be caught if they lie about where they worked although the question is how good of an investigator will be checking , and how much will they care. People slip through the cracks all the time or the people sometimes doing the checks foul up. Not saying he will have a problem , I'm just saying what the potential is. Depending on who he wants to work for they may not even do an extensive check to begin with. Just a heads up. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City