Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 04:42 PM

3 posts, read 15,942 times

Advertisements

I have received a job offer to work in Morris Heights, Bronx. It is 2 blocks from the Burnside Ave subway station. I currently live in Bergen county, NJ.

I have several questions:
1. Is the commute feasible? I checked on Google Maps to see how long it will take for me to get to work. It shows me that it should take between 33 minutes(when no traffic) to 55 minutes(when traffic). It suggests me to take the GWB bridge. Is this information reliable?
2. I will have to park my car in a parking garage 2 blocks from my work place. Then walk to the place along Burnside Ave. Is this safe crime wise? Will it be risky especially in the winter season?
3. Because of these hassles, I am not sure if I should accept this job. I can go back to my last employer that's just 10 minutes from my home but I din't completely enjoy working there so I left. The new job in Bronx pays 2000 less but offers 2 extra weeks of vacation days and some additional learning opportunities. Should I go back to my old job or accept the new one?

Please help me decide.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 05:57 PM

40 posts, read 213,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by good_man_101 View Post

I have received a job offer to work in Morris Heights, Bronx. It is 2 blocks from the Burnside Ave subway station. I currently live in Bergen county, NJ.

I have several questions:
1. Is the commute feasible? I checked on Google Maps to see how long it will take for me to get to work. It shows me that it should take between 33 minutes(when no traffic) to 55 minutes(when traffic). It suggests me to take the GWB bridge. Is this information reliable?
2. I will have to park my car in a parking garage 2 blocks from my work place. Then walk to the place along Burnside Ave. Is this safe crime wise? Will it be risky especially in the winter season?
3. Because of these hassles, I am not sure if I should accept this job. I can go back to my last employer that's just 10 minutes from my home but I din't completely enjoy working there so I left. The new job in Bronx pays 2000 less but offers 2 extra weeks of vacation days and some additional learning opportunities. Should I go back to my old job or accept the new one?

Please help me decide.

Thanks
I used to live on Burnside, it is a horrible area. Morris Heights is only 2nd to the South Bronx in crime. Its a very dangerous neighborhood, my apartment was robbed twice during my 1 year living in the neighborhood just to show you how rough it is. I'm also a seasoned Bronxite, born and raised and I wasn't raised in no Riverdale, where I was raised was pretty rough too, but Morris Heights is on a whole other level. Its filled with bums, crackheads, thugs anything you could think of. Burnside is just terrible, a lot of people in that neighborhood were in jail before, and there are so many homeless shelters its unreal. I wouldn't trust it...

Old 07-28-2010, 06:06 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Yeah Burnside ave is pretty terrible. You seriously can't get more hood than that. I have stories for ages on that whole area.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:15 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Burnside area is no joke, probably one of the worst areas in all of the South Bronx. There is a recent increase crime in that area, much of the crime has spilled out of Washington Hieghts and into university hieghts and morris hieghts. DDP and Los Trinis are Domincan gang syndicates and they dominate that area also there are bloods gangs in the housing projects in Mt Eden. I suggest to becareful and take precaution and use street smarts. Daytime is ok maybe go into a dominican restaurant and get some coffee or some espresso. Summertime in Burnside avenue is like wildfire. I have alot of stories tell about burnside, I use to go to Bronx Community College and Ive seen crazy things on burnside avenue. I remember going to a Dominican barbarshop to get a haircut and I can never forget that when children are done with thier haircut tehy they lolipop, grown men and teens when they were finished the barber would hand out condoms because of the high rate of HIV infection in that area.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:19 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
I used to have to go to the Bronx Department of Buildings for work purposes. I always took the 4 train from my office to Burnside Avenue and took the 40 or the 42 bus. Crap area. Bloods standing on Walton and Burnside all the time. Graffiti on al lthe side blocks off Burnside. I always made sure I dressed bummy when I had to go up there. I will say West Burnside is better than East Burnside but thats only because there's hardly any stores on the west side. Everybody congregates on the little avenues and hang outside the stores. That's pretty much true for the majority of the major east-west streets that bisect the Concourse (167, Burnside, Tremont, 183rd). I had to go up there around the time when they had that big gang stabbing at the Burnside train station and a couple kids got poked up. I was on my p's and q's out there always.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-28-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I used to have to go to the Bronx Department of Buildings for work purposes. I always took the 4 train from my office to Burnside Avenue and took the 40 or the 42 bus. Crap area. Bloods standing on Walton and Burnside all the time. Graffiti on al lthe side blocks off Burnside. I always made sure I dressed bummy when I had to go up there. I will say West Burnside is better than East Burnside but thats only because there's hardly any stores on the west side. Everybody congregates on the little avenues and hang outside the stores. That's pretty much true for the majority of the major east-west streets that bisect the Concourse (167, Burnside, Tremont, 183rd). I had to go up there around the time when they had that big gang stabbing at the Burnside train station and a couple kids got poked up. I was on my p's and q's out there always.
Disagree. West Burnside is still commercial all the way to Sedgwick. It may not be as commercial as Walton or Morris but there's definitely plenty of stores. Also I think West Burnside is worse just because it's less commercial. E Burnside has alot more traffic and more people coming in and out. Due to it being so heavy traffic, there's also more police on that side. But W Burnside is the hangout of all the dudes from the sorrounding blocks. They can get away with much more dirt. I buy Chinese food from the store on W.B in between Davidson and Grand ave and let me tell you, it is very intimidating. In front of the store are usually a group of 7-8 men smoking weed. When you go inside you see more of them just standing around. I always have my guard up there. There is also a lot of hanging out on the aves (Davidson, Grand, Harrison, etc). Also keep in mind that the notorious University ave consolidation are actually on Harrison, just below W.B. So the animals from those rehabs congregate on W.B. But the worst part to me is the intersections of Andrews, Loring, and Phelan. This area is much less commercial than even Davidson and co. It is a strip full of Bodegas and Chinese stores. The corners there are absolutely packed because it basically is a residential strip with stores, and that is the worst combination.

IMO, usually commercial strips are worse than residential blocks. But an area that is very commercial, such as Fordham, is better surveyed than your average residential block. However, the people from the residential blocks always congregate in and around the neighborhood stores. This is what I call residential-commercials. You won't find any DR Jays or V.I.M, but there are plenty of crown fried chickens, chinese stores, and bodegas. These are the worst. I also disagree with 183rd. I believe W 183rd st from Jerome to Aqueduct is worse than E 183rd st from Walton to the Concourse. Even though E 183rd around Morris has all the infamy, nowadays there is much less loitering there than on the other side. Who knows, maybe the cameras caused everyone to go to the other side. But further west of Aqueduct to Sedgwick, W 183rd is at it's safest. That block is purely residential.

E. Tremont ave is worse than W. Tremont because it's commercial. The only part of W. Tremont that I find really bad is by University.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:14 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Disagree. West Burnside is still commercial all the way to Sedgwick. It may not be as commercial as Walton or Morris but there's definitely plenty of stores. Also I think West Burnside is worse just because it's less commercial. E Burnside has alot more traffic and more people coming in and out. Due to it being so heavy traffic, there's also more police on that side. But W Burnside is the hangout of all the dudes from the sorrounding blocks. They can get away with much more dirt. I buy Chinese food from the store on W.B in between Davidson and Grand ave and let me tell you, it is very intimidating. In front of the store are usually a group of 7-8 men smoking weed. When you go inside you see more of them just standing around. I always have my guard up there. There is also a lot of hanging out on the aves (Davidson, Grand, Harrison, etc). Also keep in mind that the notorious University ave consolidation are actually on Harrison, just below W.B. So the animals from those rehabs congregate on W.B. But the worst part to me is the intersections of Andrews, Loring, and Phelan. This area is much less commercial than even Davidson and co. It is a strip full of Bodegas and Chinese stores. The corners there are absolutely packed because it basically is a residential strip with stores, and that is the worst combination.

IMO, usually commercial strips are worse than residential blocks. But an area that is very commercial, such as Fordham, is better surveyed than your average residential block. However, the people from the residential blocks always congregate in and around the neighborhood stores. This is what I call residential-commercials. You won't find any DR Jays or V.I.M, but there are plenty of crown fried chickens, chinese stores, and bodegas. These are the worst. I also disagree with 183rd. I believe W 183rd st from Jerome to Aqueduct is worse than E 183rd st from Walton to the Concourse. Even though E 183rd around Morris has all the infamy, nowadays there is much less loitering there than on the other side. Who knows, maybe the cameras caused everyone to go to the other side. But further west of Aqueduct to Sedgwick, W 183rd is at it's safest. That block is purely residential.

E. Tremont ave is worse than W. Tremont because it's commercial. The only part of W. Tremont that I find really bad is by University.
You know I take your word on it. Maybe the few times I was on West Burnside it was an off day. But I will fight with you on 183rd. 183rd and Creston has to be one of the crappiest blocks I have ever been on in the Bronx in my life. And I say that just off the strength of gang presence. I'm taking cross streets though. Davidson, Grand, Loring, Andrews are in a different category. I know you understand what I'm saying.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-28-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You know I take your word on it. Maybe the few times I was on West Burnside it was an off day. But I will fight with you on 183rd. 183rd and Creston has to be one of the crappiest blocks I have ever been on in the Bronx in my life. And I say that just off the strength of gang presence. I'm taking cross streets though. Davidson, Grand, Loring, Andrews are in a different category. I know you understand what I'm saying.
I always believed the same thing. I remember back in 2002, me and my family were going towards Valentine ave on E. 183rd and the intersection of Creston was nuts. I refused to ever go through there again, it was that rough. We were in a car mind you! But the sheer amount of loitering spilled over to the middle of the streets and the thugs just wouldn't move. Bad experience.

But in recent years, while Grand & Davidson ave were burning hot with criminal activity, walk towards Creston and it's dead. I mean dead as in the whole block from Jerome to GC. There is a reason that the NYPD skywatch towers have been put on Grand ave multiple times and yet have not been on Creston.

In fact, I would walk through Creston with no problem. It is when I get to the west side that I have to be on alert. The west side has much more loitering nowadays. It's heavier with drug activity. I don't know how and when did this happen because as you know, Creston and E. 183rd is one of the most infamous blocks in the borough. But in 2009, and for the last few years the tables have turned.

Andrews ave is on a different level. It is a residential intersection. Still bad however.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:41 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post

IMO, usually commercial strips are worse than residential blocks. But an area that is very commercial, such as Fordham, is better surveyed than your average residential block. However, the people from the residential blocks always congregate in and around the neighborhood stores. This is what I call residential-commercials. You won't find any DR Jays or V.I.M, but there are plenty of crown fried chickens, chinese stores, and bodegas. These are the worst. I also disagree with 183rd. I believe W 183rd st from Jerome to Aqueduct is worse than E 183rd st from Walton to the Concourse. Even though E 183rd around Morris has all the infamy, nowadays there is much less loitering there than on the other side. Who knows, maybe the cameras caused everyone to go to the other side. But further west of Aqueduct to Sedgwick, W 183rd is at it's safest. That block is purely residential

Your actually right and I agree everything west of mlk boulevard to the major deegan is much nicer and a litte more safer then east of mlk. Around bronx community college surrondings is not that bad either and not as bleeky as everything else on university hieghts. I still can never forget seeing so much make shift shrines, memorials and wreaths throughout that area. I remember some where on grand Ave and 183rd a cop shot and killed a suspect. Which part of 183rd is rough going east of jerome or west of jerome ave?

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 07-28-2010 at 09:59 PM..

Old 07-28-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Your actually right and I agree everything west of mlk boulevard to the major deegan is much nicer and a litte more safer then east of mlk. Around bronx community college surrondings is not that bad either and not as bleeky as everything else on university hieghts. Which part of 183rd is rough going east of jerome or west of jerome ave.
I believe nowadays the roughest part of 183rd is west of Jerome up till Aqueduct. The intersections with Grand and Davidson in particular.

Historically, the E. 183rd & Morris ave area has been one of the most drug plagued, bullet riddled areas of the entire Bronx. It's calmed down very much nowadays, but it still is very much the hood.

I haven't really been east of the Concourse to areas like Ryer, Thebout, and Valentine but those areas are full of murals and are pretty terrible nowadays. But I can't really speak on it as much.

E. 183rd in East Tremont I rarely visit so I don't know about it.

Im way more familiar with the west side and maybe that is why I say it's the worst but I haven't really "hung out" on the east side so I rather just call the whole strip bad, especially if it continues like the 183rd I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City