Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 09:59 AM

424 posts, read 974,361 times

Advertisements

I've heard from a few people that there are more young single women in Manhattan because that where they perceive there are more well off young single men (the irony of this is that a lot of men are working in high paying fields work long hours and don't have time to date) Where as in LA there are supposed to be more young single men than women since they perceive it to have a higher percentage of women.

As for the UES and UWS, these area attract 20-40 something single women since, according to studies (many of which are backed by real estate firms so take it with a grain of salt) say this "phenomena" is young women being attracted to "pretty, trendy" neighborhoods (Greenwich Village, UES, Tribeca, Williamsburg, Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope etc...) The UWS tends to attract more families so there are less singles up there. A lot of young singles live Downtown since that where all the "action" is and there's a lot of college students living below 14th Street. The same study showed there are young single men than young women in Astoria and Long Island City. So some mixed, contradictory results..... Also it's a bit stereotypical but they probably sampled a small number of transplants who based their perception of NYC based off Carrie Bradshaw's lifestyle to compile this data.

Census data would be more insightful to see who live where on a neighborhood by neighborhood scale. Upper Manhattan and the outer boroughs seem to have more of an even mix btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 11:49 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrectAnswer View Post
Well most women nowadays are very Stuck Up and play hard to get as it is, so meeting a Real Honest Good One that doesn't Cheat is really difficult for many of us men that are looking. And many of us could be very happy with just one woman too.
A good number of Women in NYC are pretty vane. Again nothing wrong with that and that's just the way they are. If you want a good woman, save up on some plane tickets a take a trip down South, or the South West or the Midwest. Outside of the NYC women are pretty humble. Just the other day I met a woman from Chicago, her attitude was cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
I've heard from a few people that there are more young single women in Manhattan because that where they perceive there are more well off young single men (the irony of this is that a lot of men are working in high paying fields work long hours and don't have time to date) Where as in LA there are supposed to be more young single men than women since they perceive it to have a higher percentage of women.

As for the UES and UWS, these area attract 20-40 something single women since, according to studies (many of which are backed by real estate firms so take it with a grain of salt) say this "phenomena" is young women being attracted to "pretty, trendy" neighborhoods (Greenwich Village, UES, Tribeca, Williamsburg, Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope etc...) The UWS tends to attract more families so there are less singles up there. A lot of young singles live Downtown since that where all the "action" is and there's a lot of college students living below 14th Street. The same study showed there are young single men than young women in Astoria and Long Island City. So some mixed, contradictory results..... Also it's a bit stereotypical but they probably sampled a small number of transplants who based their perception of NYC based off Carrie Bradshaw's lifestyle to compile this data.

Census data would be more insightful to see who live where on a neighborhood by neighborhood scale. Upper Manhattan and the outer boroughs seem to have more of an even mix btw.
This is very true. If I can recall their was a map that showed single men to single women in NYC. Manhattan was highlighted in pink. Areas south of Harlem to battery was mostly pink and full of single women. The outer boroughs on the other hand was mainly blue or light blue and mainly full of single men. Manhattan overall is the only borough that had more single women than men. The outer boroughs was 1 to 1 except some areas of the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens which have plenty of male immigrants. Manhattan attracts plenty of careerist type women either looking to expand in their job field, education or continuing education, and looking for work. Also plenty of these women that move to Manhattan are clueless. Single women in Manhattan out number men in Manhattan so their chances of finding a top tier guy with a degree from Baylor or Yale or some Euro Trash goes out the window. Top tier guys are highly desirable and do not mind keeping a woman as a side piece. Since these men get so much women they refuse to settle down.

Another guy posted data online that showed that NYC does not have more single women than men, its actually the complete opposite. Plenty of women even in Manhattan are dating guys that are with other women in committed relationships.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 10-22-2014 at 12:27 PM..

Old 10-22-2014, 12:13 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
because women do all the jobs that men won't do I guess.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:08 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,918,406 times
I'm not complaining

Old 10-22-2014, 06:29 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,469 times
Women have no clue what they want, I've been married to one for 21 years. The best girls are country girls, brunette, blue--jeans, and a southern belle accent, that's hot.

NYC is a superficial town, it's a city of great wealth, higher education, and uber competitive. The socialite kissing cheek phonies are high maintenance, always want more, and it's all about money money money.

The New Jersey Housewife series portrays this really well. All that wealth, all those huge houses, and those women were as catty as can be, one of them is going to jail for fraud all because we live to impress and try to create this fake bubble of suburbia where everything is prim, proper, and pretty.

I want a girl who is cute, loves the outdoors, will go mudding in the truck, and is just well grounded and independent earning her own money. If I were single that's the woman I would pursue and Manhattan would be the last place I looked.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:50 PM

749 posts, read 921,040 times
I can only speak from a woman's point of view, because this is my gender.

Most women respond to a man that is attractive, clean, with well-aligned teeth, in-shape, wearing a nice pair of trousers, with a nice shirt, or sweater, smells nice, and has little or no facial hair, a nice hair cut, and a nice pair of shoes. That used to be how men presented themselves about 15 years' ago to women in NYC.

What do many men wear now? Dirty sneakers, ugly, baggy jeans, wrinkled, or too long, and in need of a wash. Big beer bellies, lots of tattoos, ( visual graffiti,) facial hair that does NOTHING for most of them. Men, in NYC, have lost pride in their appearance. You do not need expensive clothing, you need to look good, and smell good. No cheap colognes, either a good one, or none.

Why do women like cowboys so much? MOST cowboys wear CLEAN, WELL-FITTED jeans, and boots, and are in- shape.

And what has made PITBULL so popular with the ladies, even though he has a shaven head? That man makes himself very attractive to women. He knows what most women want. He smells fantastic, and even in jeans, he looks great, and well-put together.

Gentlemen: It has nothing to do with money.......is the PRESENTATION that matters..... YES, there are some gold diggers around, but, if a man has a job, and presents himself well, that is 99.99%, of the total package...........

Old 10-22-2014, 08:27 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittheroadjack View Post

Most women respond to a man that is attractive, clean, with well-aligned teeth, in-shape, wearing a nice pair of trousers, with a nice shirt, or sweater, smells nice, and has little or no facial hair, a nice hair cut, and a nice pair of shoes. That used to be how men presented themselves about 15 years' ago to women in NYC.

What do many men wear now? Dirty sneakers, ugly, baggy jeans, wrinkled, or too long, and in need of a wash. Big beer bellies, lots of tattoos, ( visual graffiti,) facial hair that does NOTHING for most of them. Men, in NYC, have lost pride in their appearance. You do not need expensive clothing, you need to look good, and smell good. No cheap colognes, either a good one, or none.

Why do women like cowboys so much? MOST cowboys wear CLEAN, WELL-FITTED jeans, and boots, and are in- shape.

And what has made PITBULL so popular with the ladies, even though he has a shaven head? That man makes himself very attractive to women. He knows what most women want. He smells fantastic, and even in jeans, he looks great, and well-put together.

Gentlemen: It has nothing to do with money.......is the PRESENTATION that matters..... YES, there are some gold diggers around, but, if a man has a job, and presents himself well, that is 99.99%, of the total package...........
Whoa their now. Not all cowboys are in shape, I have came across some heavy set cowboys before. But what you said about NYC men is kind of true and I have noticed this for a while from my observation. It is really about physical appeal and attraction and not so much about personality and money. Funny thing about NYC is that plenty of bbws and women with crocked teeth but they all want a clean cut man that has muscles and straight teeth. Hehehehe. Than again I know a woman that want out with a really attractive guy but he kept on cheating on her and gave her an STD! mind you she was not pretty either!

Old 10-22-2014, 08:33 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittheroadjack View Post

What? I get dirty for a living and don't wear dirty sneakers, that's why I have work clothes and going out on the town clothes. I'm a car guy that shops at Kohls and such, when I'm at work I get dirty but busting butt usually leads to a decent career and a nice living for ones self.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:08 AM

531 posts, read 594,983 times
The very attractive women (the ones that actually count) don't really care much for looks in my experience.

They tend to be infantilistic, clingy and dependent, and drawn to power and money, no matter how fat, bald or married you are.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:58 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
The very attractive women (the ones that actually count) don't really care much for looks in my experience.

They tend to be infantilistic, clingy and dependent, and drawn to power and money, no matter how fat, bald or married you are.
hmm, someone's bitter

lool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: