Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:51 AM

1 posts, read 9,742 times

Advertisements

I was considering moving to Spring Creek Towers which overlooks Jamaica Bay.

Does anyone know if this area is good? We would be a family of three - two adults and a 4 year old.

Any help you guys could give me would be great!

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 11:02 AM

281 posts, read 1,237,598 times
Spring Creek Towers aka Starrett City is the safest area of East New York if you choose to live in that area.The services within the complex are quite good including the janitorial and security services.Mass transit to the city is pretty awful and always has been.It is a bus ride to any of the closest subways which would be Rockaway Parkway Station- L train,Broadway Junction A,C trains or for those looking for a bit more adventure you could catch the 3 at Livonia and Pennsylvania.If you have to travel to the city every day I wouldn't recommend it.If not it's fine for what it is,A huge relatively safe housing complex. Your 4 year old would grow up in a very diverse community which I would think is a good experience.He/she will interact with just about every culture you could imagine.The schools are the best by FAR in District 19.The best and most dedicated teacher I ever had was my 6th grade teacher in Starrett City and people who also had him 30+ years ago stilll keep in touch with him. The Junior HS are in the basement of parking garages and are kind of cramped.7th grade in the G-Section garage and 8th grade in the F-Section garage. We were only evacuated once due to a car fire in the garage. I am not sure what the High School choices would be since the city has closed South Shore and Canarsie which were the closest public HS.
The bedrooms are HUGE,there is an enormous amount of closet space and if you have a balcony on one of the higher floors of one of the 20 story buildings the views are incredible.
I personally found the shopping center within Starrett City as well as the Pathmark just outside Starrett to be a little lacking. The Gateway Center complex opened within the last 5 -8 years is definitely an addition to the area.If you can buy in bulk at BJ'S there you won't have to deal with the Associated or Pathmarks inflated prices as much.
I will be honest with you it was much safer and cleaner when there were (racial)quotas in place.Those quotas were ruled unconstitutional in the early 90s and some problems arose.I think most of the bad eggs have been weeded out and it is a nice place to live again.
I lived there from 77-89 and my mom and dad lived there until 2005.I have life long friends from there who are very close to me,of all races,something I don't think I would have experienced growing up in other areas of Brooklyn.
2 more things.If you have a car pay the extra money for a garage parking space or you will be looking for parking all night AND nobody calls it Spring Creek Towers.It will always be Starrett City no matter what the sign says.Good Luck.
It is worth it even at market rate which includes heat,air conditioning and electricity.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:40 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
I would like to add one quick transit comment to nyctovt's post:

One other bus-to-subway route to consider is the B-82 anywhere along Pennsylvania Avenue (officially renamed Granville Payne Boulevard, but again, nobody calls it that) to the Kings Highway station on the B/Q lines. (Or, for that matter, if you stay on the bus for another 16 blocks, Kings Highway station on the F line).

Old 06-08-2010, 10:08 AM

281 posts, read 1,237,598 times
Fred314X-I forgot about that one.When I worked 3rd shift in Manhattan I would take that way into the city since I was really in no rush.This was back when it was the D train. I also thought it would be a little safer as this was in 1987-1988 (the crack days) I took the L back home in the morning. The D was really much safer for 3rd shift travel, although I witnessed a pretty good "mugger reaches his hand through the window from the platform and rips the gold chain off the neck of the passenger trick" at Parkside Ave.station on the D.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:02 PM

8 posts, read 97,011 times
I was also looking to move there is the rent subidized/income based there?

Old 06-28-2010, 10:32 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
im moving to spring creek not the towers but the area its really nice, the only thing that sucks is waiting for the 83 by the 3 train at penn ave, bad area.

the b13 at euclid by the a train is bad also , i think ill take the q to kings hwy for the 82

Old 10-03-2013, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 8,768 times
do you know what the Income Requirements are for a 2 bedroom?

Old 10-03-2013, 02:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
im moving to spring creek not the towers but the area its really nice, the only thing that sucks is waiting for the 83 by the 3 train at penn ave, bad area.

the b13 at euclid by the a train is bad also , i think ill take the q to kings hwy for the 82
The B13 serves Spring Creek the neighborhood, but not Spring Creek Towers.

And the B82 also connects to the L as well, so there's no need to go all the way to East 16th Street for the B/Q.

There's also an express bus directly to Manhattan (BM5), but it's very infrequent.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:28 AM

5 posts, read 10,317 times
Keep waiting ���� they take people with section 8 before they take working families.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:41 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,884,218 times
I know that the quality of life issues at Starright City/Spring Creek have inflated in the past few years, due to a lot of Section 8 recipients that have moved in. They have good and bad sections there. Also, if you don't have a car, Starrett City is a 2 fare zone so the transit, coming and going is a bit difficult for the express busses don't run there overnight. So if you're coming in from a night on the town in Brooklyn, Manhattan, or any other boro, and it's past 12am, you're in trouble. I know that Starrett was built on marshland, so the ground is sinking. They've undergone major renovations on their buildings, and garages in the past few years because of structural damage. A sewage plant is nearby so you can smell the raw sewage in the air sometimes, its near the Jamaica Bay. I'mma give it to you as real as I can. I wouldn't do it. I don't like the issues, the neighborhood its in, the transit. It screams ratchet to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery