Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 05:35 AM

31 posts, read 9,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeblkwoman View Post
I submitted my documents to Neighborhood Restore through Housing Connect. If they are using Sonyma mortgages why include the extra hoop to jump through requiring 5% down? Sonyma has several programs to assist with DPA. It is not difficult to receive. I was approved for a Sonyma loan last year with $17k DPA. A coworker won a housing lottery early 2020. She withdrew from her 401k to cover the down payment requirement. When she was connected with the preapproved lenders he informed her about the DPA and was upset that the program administration did not inform her about the DPA with the loan. She took out more than she needed to. It seems to me that these programs are not as helpful as they can be. It often feels like gatekeeping. How come they aren't completely transparent? We all know the down payment is the biggest obstacle to homeownership particularly in underserved communities. A LOT more needs to be done to correct the history of redlining.
did you remind them of this? and if so, what did they say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2024, 07:50 AM

8 posts, read 2,238 times
I am composing a response to the most recent directive I received from Housing Connect. I will make sure I include that I was approved last year by Sonyma, and it is counterintuitive to the mission to expect mid to low income people to draw down their retirement for the down payment. A home is a great investment but withdrawing retirement can hurt the overall financial health of the participants. They will have to pay it back which will hinder the hand-up goal that was intended.
We will see the response.

On another note: Sonyma released a new mortgage product aimed at first time home-buyers with low credit scores. It looks like a great program. I highly recommend reviewing the Sonyma website mortgage programs, Achieving the Dream, and Conventional plus. You can stack grants and DPA with Sonyma.

Old 04-18-2024, 01:02 PM

10 posts, read 1,730 times
Hey anyone past the submit document stage? What’s your log number?
We are Log50xx. Remaining hopeful!

Old 04-21-2024, 12:43 PM

Default Application Denied

I went through round 1 docs submitted and reviewed. I was denied due to insufficient DP. I have about 25K. They are seeking 5% $32- $44 which is more than FHA loans require (3.5%) for MFU. This program is targeting people with less income but will not allow gifts to assist with the DP. I wrote a good appeal but was still denied. I plan to reach out to our councilman to make them aware of the program's shortcomings. It doesn't seem to align with the HPD Housing plan. https://www.nyc.gov/site/hpd/service.../bed-stuy.page

Old 04-21-2024, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuki690 View Post
Hey anyone past the submit document stage? What’s your log number?
We are Log50xx. Remaining hopeful!

The numbers are randomly pulled according to the webinar. It is not in numerical sequence to uphold the term lottery.

Old 04-21-2024, 01:15 PM

31 posts, read 9,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeblkwoman View Post
I went through round 1 docs submitted and reviewed. I was denied due to insufficient DP. I have about 25K. They are seeking 5% $32- $44 which is more than FHA loans require (3.5%) for MFU. This program is targeting people with less income but will not allow gifts to assist with the DP. I wrote a good appeal but was still denied. I plan to reach out to our councilman to make them aware of the program's shortcomings. It doesn't seem to align with the HPD Housing plan. https://www.nyc.gov/site/hpd/service.../bed-stuy.page
which two houses did you visit? and what were your thoughts on them? pros/cons etc

Old 04-22-2024, 10:37 AM

15 posts, read 1,309 times
Hi, sorry that you were denied: how long ago did you submit documents ? How long did you hear between submitting documents and being denied?

Old 04-22-2024, 07:27 PM

They look fine from what I could see. Nothing special, nice starter homes under market value. I would change the color immediately, maybe white or gray, then front gate and door. They look cheap. The windows should be upgraded too.

I visited 9 of the 11 homes in the fall. None of the homes were complete. I visited 3 in March (Bainbridge, Hancock and Jefferson) when my number was pulled, still not finished. All have the wood fencing around them. They don't have meters yet. The timeline, closing or move-in is very unclear. They didn't answer any of my questions regarding the timeline during the webinar or afterwards. Considering the city's reputation for moving slow, this is a bit concerning. It is all of our tax dollars. When will the properties be finished? Covid is over.

Old 04-22-2024, 07:35 PM

I submitted documents mid-March. They gave me 2 weeks to complete the process. It was cumbersome. I had to use a pdf merger to submit the (146pg) docs. Then they kept telling me (via email) I didn't submit in error. I was panicked. About 3 weeks later after some back and forth I was denied. The turnaround time wasn't long. Especially in comparison to the overall very lengthy process of building, selection etc.

Old 04-22-2024, 09:34 PM

15 posts, read 1,309 times
I submitted documents around 3 weeks ago. Keeping fingers crossed.

Last edited by Jabreu; 04-22-2024 at 09:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery