Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2023, 08:40 AM

37 posts, read 27,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoogieHouser View Post
They wrongly rejected me. I was stupidly banking on this and have no form of recourse now.
thats the best chance possible, CB and a super low log... all for nothing.
I absolutely HATE housing Partnership, HPD, and the city of NY. congrats to you all who get it.
What did they say to you? This process is very frustrating
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2023, 07:37 AM

8 posts, read 6,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAFR View Post
Oh wow, I guess I was expecting for a little hope here My last year tax return it’s in the income range, but I’m assuming my paystubs will be over the range. Hopefully I’m mistaken, I was really expecting this time would work out… thank you for your answer!
Did they reach out to you yet? Curious if they started the first no preference batch. You have a low number right?

Old 11-06-2023, 07:59 AM

37 posts, read 27,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookerd View Post
Did they reach out to you yet? Curious if they started the first no preference batch. You have a low number right?
Hey, yes I have a low number. But no news yet, nobody contacted.

Old 11-08-2023, 03:49 PM

5 posts, read 2,917 times
Hi all,

I was in the 10/11 deadline batch with CB preference.

I tried to schedule an Appointment during the initial response period, and I reached out via email before the deadline, but I was rejected without an appointment being scheduled or any contact from the Marketing Agent.

I have since gone through a Kafka-esque Appeal and Complaint process without my documents being reviewed for eligibility, and the Marketing Agent and HPD Compliance ignoring the Marketing Handbook.

Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone have advice on next steps to follow?

Elected Officials? Commissioner? Straight to HP Action? Has anyone that's a regular on this forum seen advice on how to proceed? I want to make sure the Agency is directing them to hold my unit.

It seems like the Marketing Agent is completely disregarding the Handbook's notice requirements, and HPD is not properly enforcing compliance. How many other people is this happening to?

Old 11-09-2023, 08:04 AM

43 posts, read 43,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthcow View Post
Hi all,

I tried to schedule an Appointment during the initial response period, and I reached out via email before the deadline, but I was rejected without an appointment being scheduled or any contact from the Marketing Agent.

I have since gone through a Kafka-esque Appeal and Complaint process without my documents being reviewed for eligibility, and the Marketing Agent and HPD Compliance ignoring the Marketing Handbook.

Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone have advice on next steps to follow?

Elected Officials? Commissioner? Straight to HP Action? Has anyone that's a regular on this forum seen advice on how to proceed? I want to make sure the Agency is directing them to hold my unit.

It seems like the Marketing Agent is completely disregarding the Handbook's notice requirements, and HPD is not properly enforcing compliance. How many other people is this happening to?
Whoa!! How did you get through to them to find out about the rejection? They responded to your email and offered you an opportunity to appeal?

So sorry about the news

Old 11-09-2023, 12:09 PM

2,031 posts, read 1,645,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthcow View Post
Hi all,

Start preparing your appeal now, or re-preparing. Without knowing so much about your circumstances, it could be you lost out only on CB preference, and maybe your log# is still alive in the general population.

Appointments don’t necessarily mean a thing. Can you tell if you got rejected for a cause, or just perhaps they ran out of the type of unit you are qualified for?

You might not have been the lowest log# contact for such a unit that you are qualified for. A lower log# might have accepted the last of the type unit you are qualified for. They are allowed to contact more households than there are units available.

Likewise, the last CB allotment unit (it can be any type) might have been filled before they got to your log#. The CB allotment can be any combination of units that adds up to 50%, once it is fulfilled CB does not count anymore. The 50% allotment is not half of all of the 1 beds, half of all of a particular AMI%.

Old 11-13-2023, 06:10 AM

5 posts, read 2,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampenny View Post
Whoa!! How did you get through to them to find out about the rejection? They responded to your email and offered you an opportunity to appeal?
I received an email from HousingConnect website and then called HPD Housing Hotline until they got the Marketing Agent to respond to me. I appealed, was denied, filed the complaint, and was rejected.

I am sorting through next steps including filing an HP Action, but wanted advice from others who have gone through this process.

Neither the Marketing Agent nor HPD has adhered to the mandated process. There have been multiple, very clear due process violations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
Start preparing your appeal now, or re-preparing. Without knowing so much about your circumstances, it could be you lost out only on CB preference, and maybe your log# is still alive in the general population.

Appointments don’t necessarily mean a thing. Can you tell if you got rejected for a cause, or just perhaps they ran out of the type of unit you are qualified for?

You might not have been the lowest log# contact for such a unit that you are qualified for. A lower log# might have accepted the last of the type unit you are qualified for. They are allowed to contact more households than there are units available.

Likewise, the last CB allotment unit (it can be any type) might have been filled before they got to your log#. The CB allotment can be any combination of units that adds up to 50%, once it is fulfilled CB does not count anymore. The 50% allotment is not half of all of the 1 beds, half of all of a particular AMI%.
I don't think you've quite understood the issue. They have not reviewed the documents. HC2 offered the ability to schedule an appointment, so we requested one and were rejected without one being scheduled, so our documents were not submitted (that was the point of the appointment). The Marketing Agent appears to believe they only selected Direct Document Submission in their HPD approved Marketing Plan, and are not allowing appointments.

However, even if this were the case, the Marketing Agent did not follow HPD mandated notice procedures, and pragmatically, we had no way of knowing. The Marketing Agent also made several other process violations.

HPD Compliance has thus far also ignored their own Handbook in the Complaint Process.

This is not an issue about a unit not being available, or our application being denied due to ineligibility. This is basically about being given the fair and legally required opportunity to submit the documentation. We ultimately did along side the Complaint to make sure they were in, but Compliance stated they should have been submitted earlier, which is why I said this was Kafka-esque.

So I was wondering if anyone had specific advice on how to proceed.

If others have not heard anything for a while, others have reported issues on this forum, and I have had significant issues with this Marketing Agent myself, it follows there is something going on and there are serious procedural issues with this lottery.

I am not going to simply sit by and let them violate our rights, and sometimes there is a better way forward than immediately filing a lawsuit.

Old 11-14-2023, 10:22 AM

4 posts, read 1,786 times
Default CB preference

Interesting , I am 11,xxx with CB preference and have not been contacted yet, I fall under the 60 % AMI I wonder if this has been filled yet, I believe I am CB Preference as I fall in the Sutton Area ? would anyone happen to know where i can look up my address for the CB preference ?

Old 11-14-2023, 10:25 AM

4,775 posts, read 6,573,986 times
Here's a map. Gemma is in CB 6 in Manhattan. You might be right on the northern border, which looks to me like 59th Street.

https://www.nyc.gov/site/communitybo...bout/maps.page

Also, click on the boundaries map, and you will be taken to a page where you can type on your address, for better accuracy:

https://www.nyc.gov/site/communitybo...ity-board.page

Old 11-14-2023, 10:47 AM

4 posts, read 1,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Here's a map. Gemma is in CB 6 in Manhattan. You might be right on the northern border, which looks to me like 59th Street.

https://www.nyc.gov/site/communitybo...bout/maps.page

Also, click on the boundaries map, and you will be taken to a page where you can type on your address, for better accuracy:

https://www.nyc.gov/site/communitybo...ity-board.page

Amazing !!! it looks like I do fall under it! I really hope they call me !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery