Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2023, 07:08 AM

12 posts, read 7,032 times

Advertisements

I'd like to share my 2023 lottery progress. Based on my count, I'm probably one of the first 10-20 people to receive an offer in this lottery.

Week 1 (June) - Apply on lottery site. A few minutes later, an email from Beam with a link to submit an application. 24 hours later, an email saying I'm the first on the list! Another 24 hours pass, an email requesting documents.

Week 2 - The first contact from my marketing rep occured a few days after submitting the documentation. It seems he does a broad overview of what's in the application to see if there's any missing documentation or obvious disqualifiers.

Weeks 3-5 - Silence. Occasional calls to my marketing rep to check in - my application seemed perpetually "5-10 business days" away from approval. They're backlogged.

Week 6 - Request for updated documentation. Since a month had passed, I needed to submit another round of financial statements.

Week 7 - Explaination sheets. This is generally good news, since it means they did a first pass of the documentation. I submitted explainations for the deposits in question.

Week 8 (August) - Disqualified? My marketing rep called to inform me that I was disqualified. However the reason given sounded completely bogus -- an rule from an old marketing handbook that was no longer in effect. I desperately called HDC and my city councilperson to try to get an intervention. It worked!! There truly was a mistake made and my disqualification was rescinded.

End of Week 8 - Offer email! My application was forwarded to leasing. Paying and signing happened very quickly - same day!

End of Week 9 - Move in!

Final notes:

-According to a rider in my lease, this is a Roberts apartment.

-A funny thing happened to me after I applied. I was in such a habit of checking this forum, that I saw the really great July 4th deals. I thought, did I actually get a good deal? I had to convince myself that yes, this was a good deal. There are many people with better rents than me, and that's OK. Many are worse off, too. All things considered, I'm happy so far with my outcome and I think I got very lucky catching the unit and getting first position.

-What appealed to me about this lottery was the chance to apply for a unit on such short notice. It just so happened that I needed to move this summer, but I was still flexibile. Based on this experience, I would say plan for a minimum of two months between application and move in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2023, 07:23 AM

282 posts, read 280,281 times
Congratulations this is a good description of the timeline.

Old 08-07-2023, 07:35 AM

134 posts, read 85,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krs2 View Post
I'd like to share my 2023 lottery progress. Based on my count, I'm probably one of the first 10-20 people to receive an offer in this lottery.

Week 1 (June) - Apply on lottery site. A few minutes later, an email from Beam with a link to submit an application. 24 hours later, an email saying I'm the first on the list! Another 24 hours pass, an email requesting documents.

Week 2 - The first contact from my marketing rep occured a few days after submitting the documentation. It seems he does a broad overview of what's in the application to see if there's any missing documentation or obvious disqualifiers.

Weeks 3-5 - Silence. Occasional calls to my marketing rep to check in - my application seemed perpetually "5-10 business days" away from approval. They're backlogged.

Week 6 - Request for updated documentation. Since a month had passed, I needed to submit another round of financial statements.

Week 7 - Explaination sheets. This is generally good news, since it means they did a first pass of the documentation. I submitted explainations for the deposits in question.

Week 8 (August) - Disqualified? My marketing rep called to inform me that I was disqualified. However the reason given sounded completely bogus -- an rule from an old marketing handbook that was no longer in effect. I desperately called HDC and my city councilperson to try to get an intervention. It worked!! There truly was a mistake made and my disqualification was rescinded.

End of Week 8 - Offer email! My application was forwarded to leasing. Paying and signing happened very quickly - same day!

End of Week 9 - Move in!

Final notes:

-A funny thing happened to me after I applied. I was in such a habit of checking this forum, that I saw the really great July 4th deals. I thought, did I actually get a good deal? I had to convince myself that yes, this was a good deal. There are many people with better rents than me, and that's OK. Many are worse off, too. All things considered, I'm happy so far with my outcome and I think I got very lucky catching the unit and getting first position.

-What appealed to me about this lottery was the chance to apply for a unit on such short notice. It just so happened that I needed to move this summer, but I was still flexibile. Based on this experience, I would say plan for a minimum of two months between application and move in.
Congratulations. I'm very surprised to hear the unit is a 'Roberts' apartment.

This is what the Tenants Association sent when I inquired about my apartment. <<''With your question about being a Roberts tenant - if you’ve moved onto the property recently, you are not a Roberts tenant. Roberts tenants had to opt into the class action lawsuit. If you didn’t do this about 10 years ago, then you’re not a Roberts tenant. It’s not the apartment that’s a Roberts apartment. Once the Roberts tenant leaves the apartment, the apartment is no longer leased to a Roberts tenant.''>>

Old 08-07-2023, 08:02 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,568,333 times
Wow, thanks for all this great information! This thread is so valuable.

krs2, I had read about your situation on another thread. You are to be commended for doing the research and solving your problem. You were persistent and very intelligent in mining resources. And of course your reward is getting the apartment in the end. Thank you for letting everyone know about the mistake that you uncovered—and reversed.

Moral of story: Read the Marketing Handbook, especially if you need to mount an appeal!

Verynew: Thanks for this info from the Tenants Association. What they are saying makes sense to me, although I have to admit this is the first time I am hearing this. But the TA has been involved in all the lawsuits, and so I put stock in what they have to say.

Also, this is great news, because it means that all the lottery winners don't have to worry about the current lawsuit governing the Roberts apartments.

And now it's 10 a.m., and aside from the two apartments previously noted, I saw nothing else.

Old 08-07-2023, 08:50 AM

25 posts, read 24,093 times
Thanks! One thing that I am not clear on is whether moving into one of the apartments offered through this 2023 lottery would make me ineligible for the 2021 lottery. I have a high log number for that one, but still holding out hope that I will eventually be reached for a one bedroom.

Old 08-07-2023, 08:57 AM

That's a good question, and you'd have to ask the people in charge. But it seems to me, depending on what you mean by “high,” you're better off grabbing what you can. The 2021 lottery was going at a rapid pace and seems to be slowing down quite a lot lately.

Plus, the one-bedrooms you have applied to recently are very well-priced!

Old 08-07-2023, 08:58 AM

12 posts, read 7,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerynewinNYC View Post
Congratulations. I'm very surprised to hear the unit is a 'Roberts' apartment.

This is what the Tenants Association sent when I inquired about my apartment. <<''With your question about being a Roberts tenant - if you’ve moved onto the property recently, you are not a Roberts tenant. Roberts tenants had to opt into the class action lawsuit. If you didn’t do this about 10 years ago, then you’re not a Roberts tenant. It’s not the apartment that’s a Roberts apartment. Once the Roberts tenant leaves the apartment, the apartment is no longer leased to a Roberts tenant.''>>
Going back and re-reading the lease, you may be correct. What I read was the "J-51 Rider" which refers to the 2020 expiration date. I don't know if that makes this a "Roberts" apartment or not, or if this is a standard rider in all Stuytown leases post-J-51. Anyone know?

"Landlord represents that it has received a tax exemption for the building in which this apartment is located based upon the provisions of the 489 of the real property law of NYS... the apartment may be subject to rent regulation pursuant to the rent stabilization law and code with the approximate expiration date of the tax benefit period being June 30, 2020.

If it is otherwise determined by the legislature, a court or administrative agency that the rent stabilization law does not apply to the lease or this apartment, or has only limited application, then this apartment may not be subject to rent stabilization at all..."

Old 08-07-2023, 09:16 AM

25 posts, read 24,093 times
Good point. My log number for 2021 is 8xxx. So not great. I did ask someone in the lottery office and they did not have an answer for me. Thinking is it safe to assume if I’m able to pursue one of these and actually move in, this will be my one lottery apt.

And they are well priced. Both are less expensive than my current midtown studio, with almost twice the space.

Old 08-07-2023, 09:54 AM

The apartments toward the lower end of the price ranges are a really good deal! Best of luck, and please let us know how you do.

Old 08-07-2023, 09:57 AM

12 posts, read 8,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krs2 View Post

End of Week 9 - Move in!

Final notes:

When filling out the application, I am not a student, do I still need to submit a notarized copy of the student status affidavit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery