Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 01:02 AM

233 posts, read 289,510 times

Advertisements

What do you all think? How are the lotteries that are over 100% AMI affordable? Wouldn't an apartment over 100% AMI literally translate to "unaffordable?" Someone, please tell me I'm misinterpreting something here because this has me feeling super bummed out... like there is some kind of loophole for developers to squash affordable housing while taking advantage of their tax breaks. Any chance they'll cut these high AMI's out at some point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 02:42 AM

48 posts, read 63,614 times
I fall under the typical 130% AMi.

The 130% AMI is the according to the neighborhood average income. How they pull the numbers? I don't know, maybe from a general tax returns?

The 130% AMI is and isn't affordable in some cases. For example if you're living in Manhattan where the prices are normally 3500 for 1 br, and 130% AMI is 2000-2100 rent (because its calculates the neighborhood average income and adds 30% on top) However if it's in some places in queens or brooklyn, the 2100 rent seems much closer to market rate than in the city.

I've calculated my bracket, and the best rent deal I can get is roughly 30% of my salary. It can range up to 35% the most. That's when I would consider it higher diminishing returns.

Developers do get a tax break but the units are harder to fill out, so they lose money if the units aren't fulfilled.

In general, the middle class like myself do need some help in regards to rent. It feels much safer to pay a fixed expense rather then worry about a 10% rent hike the next year that can equal to 100-300 dollars more.

Having an "affordable apartment" doesn't mean it wouldn't be affordable later on. As a working class, I intend to hit higher income or have more promotions down the line in my career. so it makes the rent much easier if rent goes up a fix 2-3% per 2 years and my income increases by 10% every 1-2 years (depending on your field) It makes it much easier to save up to invest / buy a home.

I also believe in spillover effects of the higher AMI in different boroughs like Queens / Brooklyn. They could spend more around the local business and etc to bring up the neighborhood.

Old 02-01-2021, 11:29 AM

32 posts, read 31,304 times
I went to a meeting for one of the HDFC co-op lotteries and the panel said that the AMI is calculated for the region, so Long Island, Westchester, and all 5 boroughs are included in the calculation.

This brings the AMI lower than it should be and makes some of the NYC salary cutoffs really aggressive. If NYC or even individual boroughs had their own AMI, more of us would qualify.

Old 02-01-2021, 11:40 AM

51 posts, read 74,028 times
It’s a way to gentrify the neighborhood. But remember these are based on averages meant to fill luxury buildings with amenities.

Old 02-01-2021, 11:49 AM

4,768 posts, read 6,555,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_user_name View Post
I went to a meeting for one of the HDFC co-op lotteries and the panel said that the AMI is calculated for the region, so Long Island, Westchester, and all 5 boroughs are included in the calculation.

This brings the AMI lower than it should be and makes some of the NYC salary cutoffs really aggressive. If NYC or even individual boroughs had their own AMI, more of us would qualify.
You must mean that including Long Island, Westchester, and I believe Rockland brings the AMI HIGHER than it should be. It’s another way people in the five boroughs get the shaft.

Old 02-01-2021, 09:33 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,724,468 times
Yep, higher. Something they really need to fix (saying that even as a 160%-er who probably wouldn't have qualified using a true NYC AMI).

Old 02-02-2021, 09:00 AM

34 posts, read 42,129 times
A lot of +130% rent rates aren't actually "affordable" and is very close to market rate.

Most affordable housing lotteries I've seen has a more available units for the lower AMIs. The buildings that have a higher selection for +100% are typically luxury buildings.+130% rents are paid at a similar 'rent to salary' rate that lower AMIs are paying for if not even a little more costlier. Also to consideration is that the higher salary you go, the more you get taxed.

I believe each developer or neighborhood has their own AMI breakout and it can vary depending on the location. Middle income needs help too to be able to afford a unit on their own or else they would likely continue living with roommates.
In all, NYC is a very tough and expensive to live in and we're all struggling here

Old 05-26-2021, 10:20 PM

412 posts, read 593,519 times
This may be a dumb question but I'm new to the game and don't really understand the AMI calculations. Most apartments seem to list brackets for quite a large range of income, specifically for 130% AMI. There's usually 1 rent price listed with 130% AMI. Does this mean regardless of your income, if it falls into the bracket, everyone has the same rent? Or does it differ depend on specifically which AMI you fall into? I'd think a 40k difference in income while paying the same rent seems less affordable if you're on the lower end.

Last edited by rnt2dh; 05-26-2021 at 10:49 PM..

Old 05-26-2021, 11:02 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
130 AMI is much better than 165 AMI in my opinion. For new luxury apartments, a market rate one bedroom can go for 3700 but if you fall in 130 AMI you can get a discount and pay between 1700 and 2000. That’s a great deal.

The 165 AMI single people are screwed cause they’re always called for micro animal cage hamster studios or are the only people paying close to market rate in a building housing 40, 60 and 80 AMIs while these latter groups get the extra large comfortable apartments at a quarter of the price.

Old 05-26-2021, 11:05 PM

412 posts, read 593,519 times
The brackets overlap. And only 1 rent is listed for such a large range of income regardless if it's 130 or 165. I'm still confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery