Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2020, 06:34 AM

2,319 posts, read 2,170,975 times

Advertisements

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nycha/eligibility/apply.page

Could someone explain me in detailed? Particularly, I am so confused about Section 8.

My parents: both are seniors, elderly, live on SSA Retirement and SSI (https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/), they never have any luck in getting the public housing.

It seems that NYC Housing Authority site is not quite active(you never know if they take wait-list seriously), it is also difficult to update information on that website.

Which is the main source for public housing? NYC Housing Lottery or NYC Housing Authority?

Section 8: My understanding is that there are two types of Section 8 --- projected based or voucher-based (in this case, people can move around and bring the voucher benefit with him/her). It seems NYC not accepting voucher-based section 8 application anymore.

For NYC Housing Lottery website, there are some housing application requiring section 8. I am not exactly sure what it means, does applicant need to have section 8 first (before applying for the housing unit), or the housing property will help applicant apply for Section 8 (if the applicant is potentially qualified for section 8)?

I really need more information and sort things out, and try to help my parents get a public housing unit.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2020, 10:55 AM

3,132 posts, read 2,726,308 times
Hate to say it, but if your parents don't already have a Section 8 voucher, they will probably die before they could get it.

NYCHA is NYC's main public housing authority. If you want your parents to have "public housing," they need to go through NYCHA.

The housing lottery is primarily for private developments which include an affordable housing component as part of the development in order to get tax breaks. In the past, a few of these buildings have been specifically for seniors, but that's a question of how the development has negotiated with the city, and I wouldn't rely on such popping up on a regular basis. I have seen a small number of housing lottery developments that appeared to include a Section 8 component--in that case, in my understanding (I've never had to deal with this personally) that would be "project-based," and you have to meet the income qualifications, but you don't already have to have a voucher (nor will you get one just for living there).

Look here (https://portal.311.nyc.gov/article/?kanumber=KA-01069) for more information on housing options for low-income seniors. Good luck.

Old 03-08-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post

NYCHA is NYC's main public housing authority. If you want your parents to have "public housing," they need to go through NYCHA.

I don't mean I have to go with public housing, as long as it is affordable housing, it is okay. Housing lottery occasionally offers section 8 housing units too.

Location matters more, but the top priority is getting into the system first.

Thanks.

Old 03-10-2020, 03:49 PM

The way the two systems handle rent calculations is quite different and you should be conscious of that in making choices.

Old 03-10-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
The way the two systems handle rent calculations is quite different and you should be conscious of that in making choices.
Thanks for the information. But I don't think I have any choices. My hope is getting a housing unit as soon as possible, either from NYC Housing Lottery or NYC Housing Authority.

My question is more about which one offers better chance to get a housing unit.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:33 AM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times
Decent low-income housing is in very short supply in NYC. No surprise there.

If you read through posts on this board, you will find, sad to say, that getting into either public housing or winning a lottery and then qualifying are both very difficult.

You should definitely apply to both systems and also use all available resources in the city to try for senior housing.

If they're fussy about location, they may have to be less fussy.

There is a wealth of information on this site, and the search function works pretty well. I suggest you spend a few hours hunting around.

I'm not saying it's impossible. I bumped into a friend the other day, and he told me he had been selected for senior housing in Brooklyn in a brand-new building that was quite affordable and based on his income. He's having to wait about a year, though, for the construction to be done.

The link that randomperson posted seems a good place to start! Best of luck!

Old 03-11-2020, 09:37 AM

What macnyc said. It's not going to happen quickly and you'll need to apply for all available options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: