Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2016, 11:32 PM

75 posts, read 91,643 times

Advertisements

Why these waterfront properties stay on market for so long? Is it high price, flood threat or dead real estate market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 06:02 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,165 times
Flooding can be an issue if you live close to the lake and not just during hurricanes. A strong south wind can push water over the seawall and onto the first few blocks.

Flood insurance can be very expensive if the home is not above the required flood elevation. That number can be around 12-18' above sea level depending on the specific zone and a lot of older homes are not raised that high.

See Mandeville flood zones: http://www.callwayneturner.com/agent...st%20Flood.jpg

Old 05-26-2016, 01:52 PM

75 posts, read 91,643 times
Older homes make sense but one wonders why people build new million dollar mansions and then try to sell when it's so difficult to sell. I'm guessing flood insurance is peanuts for these owners. Another surprising thing is property tax, why are properties so undervalued for tax purposes?

Old 05-26-2016, 08:09 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieBoss80 View Post
Older homes make sense but one wonders why people build new million dollar mansions and then try to sell when it's so difficult to sell. I'm guessing flood insurance is peanuts for these owners.
Flood insurance IS peanuts as long as your lowest floor is above the flood elevation. New construction homes are usually built at the proper elevation with a "raised basement".

Old 05-26-2016, 09:14 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
I was a visitor to beautiful Mandeville a few years ago. It was my starting point for a ride along the Tammany Trace bike path that goes near the lakeshore to Slidell, and also up to Abita Springs & Covington heading north. I also pedaled around the mostly quiet streets of Mandeville, and of course stopped for lunch in town.

I also remember stopping and watching an older home less than 3 blocks from the lake that was in the process of being raised way, way up on new piers to get above the flood level. That was real interesting to watch. The crew doing the job had all sorts of specialized jacks and equipment to get the job done - a group of experienced pros. I am sure it cost a healthy (and probably fair) sum of $$ to get that job done, but I guess in the event of a bad storm, it pays off.

Mandeville is a beautiful place with lots to offer, but I am sure the flood danger would make a lot of people add up the pros and cons of living in the historic area near the lake, especially if they noticed how high a lot of the homes have been raised. I am guessing the homes that have not have been raised up would be the ones that are harder to sell. And if you buy a home that is raised way up, that's a fair amount of stair climbing every day. Lots of pros & cons to consider, but I was just a daytime visitor, so that's just what I noticed on first impression.

Last edited by recycled; 05-26-2016 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans