Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2006, 09:49 PM

2 posts, read 10,109 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me if there is a local newspaper in Harvey, Louisiana, or historical society that would include Harvey. I am looking for information about the drowning/disappearance of a teenager in the 1940's who lived in Harvey at that time.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2006, 10:47 PM
afo

5 posts, read 55,043 times
I am from LA, but wasn't sure if Harvey had it's own paper.

Here is a link to papers in nearby cities.

http://capwiz.com/yo-demo/dbq/media/...ult&azip=70058

Hope it helps.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:40 PM

2 posts, read 28,631 times
Harvey currently doesn't have its own newspaper and I'm not sure if they ever did, but if there is anything about what you're looking for it would be in The Times Picayune. There's a Gretna Picayune insert that also has articles on the surrounding areas, also. I'm assuming that the situation was similar back in the 1940s.

Last edited by bnet504; 09-28-2006 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: Factual error

Old 09-28-2006, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 10,109 times
Thank you so much for your response. I'm looking for information for an uncle (by marriage) of mine. His parents separated when he was very young; he went with his father and his younger brother went with his mother. We have just found out, by being lucky enough to locate several cousins, that his brother died on his birthday, June 5, 1947. We could be off a year or so on the year. We were told that it was his 16th birthday, but if it was 1947, it could not have been his 16th birthday. He was born in 1933, we believe, because the older brother was born in November 1931. We are looking for information on the death of John Carlos (Carl) Perry. His mother was Margaret Ann Strickland Perry Ford. His half-siblings were Lester Paul Ford and Elizabeth Ann Ford. My uncle, who is 75, last saw his brother Carl when he was about 6 or 7, and Carl was about 5, we believe. Beyond that, no contact had been made. The story goes that on Carl's birthday, he and a group of his friends went swimming. Since it was Carl's birthday, he got to go in first. He jumped in, came up once, went down and never came back up. Also, supposedly, the river (Mississippi??) and river banks were searched for 2 weeks and nothing was ever found. It was assumed that an alligator or shark (??) got him when he jumped in. This is very sad. When I finally found some information on my uncle's brother, it was bad news. I'm trying to find a newspaper article to get the details. Thanks for your interest. I appreciate it very much.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:13 PM

17 posts, read 50,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyretired View Post
Thank you so much for your response. I'm looking for information for an uncle (by marriage) of mine. His parents separated when he was very young; he went with his father and his younger brother went with his mother. We have just found out, by being lucky enough to locate several cousins, that his brother died on his birthday, June 5, 1947. We could be off a year or so on the year. We were told that it was his 16th birthday, but if it was 1947, it could not have been his 16th birthday. He was born in 1933, we believe, because the older brother was born in November 1931. We are looking for information on the death of John Carlos (Carl) Perry. His mother was Margaret Ann Strickland Perry Ford. His half-siblings were Lester Paul Ford and Elizabeth Ann Ford. My uncle, who is 75, last saw his brother Carl when he was about 6 or 7, and Carl was about 5, we believe. Beyond that, no contact had been made. The story goes that on Carl's birthday, he and a group of his friends went swimming. Since it was Carl's birthday, he got to go in first. He jumped in, came up once, went down and never came back up. Also, supposedly, the river (Mississippi??) and river banks were searched for 2 weeks and nothing was ever found. It was assumed that an alligator or shark (??) got him when he jumped in. This is very sad. When I finally found some information on my uncle's brother, it was bad news. I'm trying to find a newspaper article to get the details. Thanks for your interest. I appreciate it very much.
Sorry for bumping up an old thread, but alligators in the Mississippi River???

Old 02-23-2011, 04:52 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
Both are possible. Alligators live in the marshes surrounding the river and can swim, while bull sharks have been known to travel as far upriver as illinois.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 02-23-2011 at 05:01 PM..

Old 02-23-2011, 11:13 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Mess View Post
Sorry for bumping up an old thread, but alligators in the Mississippi River???
Yes indeed. There be gators in them there waters. Big'uns, too!

Old 03-05-2011, 08:20 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
you should go to the westbank library on manhattan blvd and ask to see the microfilm..you can look as far back as i think the early 1900s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans