Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 10:34 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,490,111 times

Advertisements

I would vote to go down I -25 then east on US 70. It is interstate and then 4 lanes from Las Cruces to Alamogordo. May not be the shortest but it is the easiest to drive.

I was on US 54 all the way from El Paso to Tucumcari last month. It was interesting but I would not do it again. Especially at night.

This is your "safest" and easiest route. There is a quick hop over the mountains just east of Las Cruces on Highway 70 but it is not a big deal at all, at least to me. It's also not very high up and has a nice, easy decline back down the hill going east towards Alamogordo. These are the Organ Mountains, which are very beautiful to see in the daytime from Las Cruces. The pass is called San Augustin Pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 07:35 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,904,772 times
Wow, not too many people do the US 54 El Paso to Santa Rosa drive on to I-40, I’ve done it twice in either direction. Nice.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:57 PM

138 posts, read 145,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Wow, not too many people do the US 54 El Paso to Santa Rosa drive on to I-40, I’ve done it twice in either direction. Nice.
I've been taking US54 from Wichita to Alamogordo and back for the last 3, almost 4 years. With a short trip between Tucumcari and Santa Rosa each direction. Twice a year, except once my son went with my wife and I stayed home to take care of the dogs, and once we went to Arizona first (US191 *SHUDDER*) and came back on 54.

And I've driven a couple of times down to El Paso and back from Alamogordo as well. But I never did it straight thru.

First couple times I got messed up in Vaughn, but I recovered OK.

Old 12-04-2019, 04:46 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,490,111 times
While most of the roads we traveled were just fine, we made the uniformed choice (i.e., "mistake") of taking 152 (if memory serves me right) from Truth or Consequences to Silver City. The view was breathtaking--as were some of the turns and heights! I would prefer my loved ones have a better road as they will be driving after dark. It seems that 25 down to 380 and then onto 54 would be safe and quick--but I am asking for a second opinion.

Here is an excerpt from the OP's first post way back on 3-30-2010. Anyone else been on the highway leading eastbound from Silver City? I'll tell you what - that and the highway north of Silver City going to the Gila Cliff Dwellings is some beautiful and dangerous to drive 2-lane highway driving. Steep, deep drops off the highway and beautiful, forested mountains and exposed rock all around you. It goes high up in elevation.

I have driven the highway the OP is talking about to Truth or Consequences and it is remote, rugged and beautiful! You really need to keep your eye on the road - especially that one to the Gila Cliff Dwellings. Drivers going both ways do. Or you could get in a head-on collision. It's one of those kinds of roads - 2-way roads that are not real...wide.

Have fun if you decide to drive these. My wife and I are coming back and enjoying them some more. Surprised we didn't see any elk or deer up there. Gorgeous, beautiful country right here in The Enchanted State. I know why they call it The Enchanted State.

Oh, and y'all check out the ghost town of Pinos Altos east of Silver City. I stopped the car, parked it and got out and was quickly trying to imagine what it was like there in the 1800's. There's a tavern left and a theater left, plus some homes nearby. But the theater and tavern are on what was the main street of Pinos Altos. When you combine going to Pinos Altos with a trip to Silver City, it's well worth the drive over there.

There's much to explore still. The Land of Enchantment is big, large, wild and wide open. Saddle up and let your imagination roar!

Last edited by elkotronics; 12-04-2019 at 04:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico