Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 08:23 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times

Advertisements

I decided on new construction in Almogordo in the south. I looked mostly on the ends, as Harry mentioned earlier. I did see homes in several areas, though, and once I got through with what was available in my price range ($100-$175)...and saw what I would have to do to bring it to what I wanted (add tile, rip out carpet, repair or add fences, cover the patio, whatever), I decided on new construction. I wasn't really crazy about one street that fed into the subdivision, but the other is fine, so I went with that. The new subdivision borders an older neighborhood, but it's not a bad one!

The price difference between Farmington and Alamogordo, for what I wanted...$52K at a mininum. Granted, the one in Farmington was in a better area, but it did not include any landscaping whatsoever, and the price on the fence was dependent on the neighbors sharing the costs on both sides. So, I would have been out the landscaping costs (the front is required to be done very soon after purchase, per the covenants), not knowing what my final price on the masonry fence would be, et al.

The prices can be high in Alamo, but there are also very reasonably priced properties, too. There are all price ranges, and I just felt that most people can find something to suit them! I certainly did!

They are just now sheetrocking it, so I got to pick all of my colors, tile (100% throughout), fixtures, exterior stucco color, et al. Since I made some minor changes--I was able to go with 100% good tile and no carpet throughout without changing the overall price. It isn't huge (1380 sq ft, but that is larger than what I have now, so......I'm happy). It is a little larger than what I would have had in Farmington, though.

I have 3BR, 2BA, master with separate walk-in shower, double-pane glass, roof-mounted combination HVAC refrigerated air, etc. Landscaping is included--desert/rock in front and along both sides.....and one rectangular strip of lawn....sod will be put down, and it's only about 15x30, so that's plenty for me. I don't have the plans in front of me here, so I'm going from memory. I have a very small covered patio, but it's adequate, and so designed that there are no posts, since it's in a cutout and the roof forms the cover without any extra overhang.

I love the mountains around Alamo.....you can see both the Sacramentos and the Organs. It's pleasant and clean in most areas that I saw (though I have a lot of exploring to do yet, LOL).

I do believe that Alamo is just getting ready to really take off. The Lowe's, Home Depot and Walmart SuperCenter are all less than 3 years old or so, according to what the builder told me as we were going through samples and such this morning. There is a Staples, and a few chain restaurants, along with several local ones. We ate at Margo's...it was good.

There is a nice little mall that I didn't have time to go through, as I just stopped by the food court to grab a quick bite to eat. It was a little fast-food Mexican place called Juan's Cactus Cafe. Not so great, but it was something to eat.

The Family Rec Center is OK....I think it's out for me in the summer, as I'm not crazy about swimming outside any more, or with a bunch of kids, even though lap lanes are available. But...it will probably be just fine in the winter. The Physical Therapy Center has a nice indoor four-lane 25 yarder that will do very nicely for $37/monthly. There is also a new workout facility with a pool that the builder told me was first-class. His wife works out there. I will investigate that later.

The people were friendly and helpful.....I like the atmosphere, and I feel good about the whole thing.

The downside? It gets HOT. It was hot when I was there...91..but the humidity is low, and 8-9,000 ft Cloudcroft is 20 miles up! Ditto 7,000 ft Ruidoso. I keep hearing about High Rolls, but I didn't get to see that.

Now the real work begins. We are to close in August.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 08:32 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,289,648 times
Make sure you grab a tiger burger from the hi-d-ho.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _yb View Post
Make sure you grab a tiger burger from the hi-d-ho.
That's for the next trip.....

Old 05-31-2007, 09:48 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,343 times
Cathy,

Welcome to Alamo!!! I think we will have to plan a get together when Nan and Cheryl get to Timberon and you get into town..
And yes it gets hot, but you can go visit up the mountain anytime.
Jane

Old 05-31-2007, 10:54 PM

102 posts, read 586,468 times
Congratulations on your decision. Alamo sounds nice, it is one of three NM towns I'm interested in. (Las Cruces and Silver City are the other two). I'll be checking them out this september.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:55 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Glad it worked out well for you Cathy and how was the travel.You didn't give those Border Patrol agents on US 54 a hard time at the Checkpoint...lol....

I assume you'll be somewhere off South Florida Ave and i hope the road widening project is progressing. Also ask your landscapper about planting Mulberry trees as they grow fast and give great shade from the desert heat as i remember well growing uo in El Paso as a teen we would sit underneath them at our house and feel cool as they block the suns rays with low humidity there.

Alamo has really taken off and it really coincided aboout 5 to 6 years back when New Mexico DOT widen US 54 from 2 to 4 lanes 65 miles from Alamo to El Paso. I think that really got a ton of retirees to move there as travel to EP is alot safer and also Tourist traffic has increased from that as more people and money are flowing up to Alamo and the mountain communities.

As far as places to eat and others have mentioned places but if you drink Coffee although no Starbucks yet there is a great Coffee cafe on North Scenic drive right across from the Hospital called ''The Plateau Expresso'' and its on the side of the mountain and your above the city and they have an outdoor patio where you can sit and look at the city and valley below and see White Sands and the Organ mountains or at nite you can see all the lights of the city. Sometimes i'll get my Coffee there and go up to Space Center parking lot as its higher up and do the same thing .

Another thing cool about Alamo is that although its only about 40,000 population and there are about 5 local radio stations there you can easily pick up all the radio stations AM and FM from El Paso and Las Cruces so thats alot of selections and also on TV you get 6 tv stations for News and Weather that being 3 from El Paso and 3 from Albuquerque although the El Paso stations usually give more detail to Alamogordo's weather and the area.

Anyway i think about moving there alot as i really miss it and the mountains and culture there and i plan to run for city council if i do so we'll see what happens in the near future.

Congrats Cathy and welcome to my favorate place in New Mexico....

Old 06-01-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
Cathy,

Welcome to Alamo!!! I think we will have to plan a get together when Nan and Cheryl get to Timberon and you get into town..
And yes it gets hot, but you can go visit up the mountain anytime.
Jane
I'm looking forward to it, Jane!!! Wooo hooo!!!

Servants of the Poor is coming by next week to pick up a ton of stuff....clothes, computers, books, etc.

*groan*

LOL!!!

Again, thanks so much for your kindness and help!!

I checked out White Sands Construction.....they have an excellent reputation (25+ years in business in Alamo)......so all should be well!!

BTW, ToolBelt is now also using the name ToolBox.....

Old 06-01-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbird View Post
Congratulations on your decision. Alamo sounds nice, it is one of three NM towns I'm interested in. (Las Cruces and Silver City are the other two). I'll be checking them out this september.
Thanks, Rainbird. I'm really looking forward to it.

I hope you'll report back when you have had a chance to explore!

Silver City interested me, too, but it's too far from any ski areas...and they don't have year-around indoor swimming. But it sure does look like a pretty place!!

Old 06-01-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
Glad it worked out well for you Cathy and how was the travel.You didn't give those Border Patrol agents on US 54 a hard time at the Checkpoint...lol....

I assume you'll be somewhere off South Florida Ave and i hope the road widening project is progressing. Also ask your landscapper about planting Mulberry trees as they grow fast and give great shade from the desert heat as i remember well growing uo in El Paso as a teen we would sit underneath them at our house and feel cool as they block the suns rays with low humidity there.

Alamo has really taken off and it really coincided aboout 5 to 6 years back when New Mexico DOT widen US 54 from 2 to 4 lanes 65 miles from Alamo to El Paso. I think that really got a ton of retirees to move there as travel to EP is alot safer and also Tourist traffic has increased from that as more people and money are flowing up to Alamo and the mountain communities.

As far as places to eat and others have mentioned places but if you drink Coffee although no Starbucks yet there is a great Coffee cafe on North Scenic drive right across from the Hospital called ''The Plateau Expresso'' and its on the side of the mountain and your above the city and they have an outdoor patio where you can sit and look at the city and valley below and see White Sands and the Organ mountains or at nite you can see all the lights of the city. Sometimes i'll get my Coffee there and go up to Space Center parking lot as its higher up and do the same thing .

Another thing cool about Alamo is that although its only about 40,000 population and there are about 5 local radio stations there you can easily pick up all the radio stations AM and FM from El Paso and Las Cruces so thats alot of selections and also on TV you get 6 tv stations for News and Weather that being 3 from El Paso and 3 from Albuquerque although the El Paso stations usually give more detail to Alamogordo's weather and the area.

Anyway i think about moving there alot as i really miss it and the mountains and culture there and i plan to run for city council if i do so we'll see what happens in the near future.

Congrats Cathy and welcome to my favorate place in New Mexico....
I got stopped by a CUTE BP Agent, but he waved sweet lil ole me on....LOL!! I decided to make a couple of phone calls while I was stuck in line.....the only cellular deadspot on the whole 400 mile trip, LOL!!!

Travel is a breeze, very easy, 95% of the road was interstate, so though it is about 70-90 miles longer than going one of the other two routes, you can drive 80MPH most of the way, and you don't really have to think about where you're going, turns, etc. You just have to be careful in EP and watch the exits, merges, etc. I made 400 miles in 6 hours.

Yes, South Florida is one of the streets I turn on. I wasn't crazy about the other end of the subdivision (from First/Arapaho)...but it's not bad, just old. Back behind me is bare ground, but as White Sands is building in the whole subdivision, my money says it fills up fast in that price niche.

Mulberry?? Yes, they do grow fast, but dang, you talk about a problematic, troublesome tree!!! It tears everything up, including sidewalks, sewer lines, etc. I grew up with the problems at my parents house before they finally got rid of the infernal thing, along with a sycamore tree. For now, the front is plain rock with nothing else. I'm going to put in some stuff later, but I am not sure what yet. I just have to go look and see what others have done....and what is available to put in! I was thinking mesquite (I love 'em, LOL!!), but they are water-demanding at the expense of everything else, including native grasses!

I saw the Coffeeshop at the north end of Scenic...but didn't stop. I was drooling at the houses there, LOL!!! Just gorgeous, but way out of my price range.

I have a lot of exploring to do.......and I thank you again for the information and the kind words!!

I have to start looking for internet access....but I don't think anybody in the area has cable internet at this point, so I'm probably looking at DSL. But hey, any broadband is better than dialup!!

Old 06-01-2007, 01:12 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
Cathy4017: Congratulations on the move! I may be up there this fall to look around (I want to have a look at Timberon and Silver City, too). You said something about how it would probably be fine to swim outside at the Family Rec Center in winter...I wonder about that. It gets cold enough in winter to make that dicey, IMO, even if the water is heated.

I want to find out whether or not there is any live music in Alamo. I'm a professional musician, and it would be great if there were any places to play. (I'm not holding my breath.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico