Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:08 AM
NJR NJR started this thread

236 posts, read 1,030,955 times

Advertisements

I have been contemplating a move to N.M. in the nex few years and have narrowed my consideration to Las Cruces, Placitas & Rio Rancho. From what I researched Rio Rancho seems the best with regards to crime etc. I have no need for school system info as by then my kid will be in college.

Basically I am looking for info on the area & living conditions. Work is also not an issue as I am self employed at home (the internet is my office) in the financial sector.

So what can anyone tell me to help me make my choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 11:15 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
Look in the Albq. forum for the Rio Rancho threads. There are a lot of them.
I want to check out the area myself and found out all kinds of information in the threads.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:23 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,748,790 times
I'd check into *REALISTIC* broadband rates in Placitas and Las Cruces. I live
on the Westside a couple miles below RR and I typically get about 8mps download
speed using Comcast so I would assume that RR probably has about the same.

Being much smaller and 20+ miles outside ABQ, Placitas may not have as good a
speed capability despite being a high-end community. I have no idea about Las
Cruces' internet capabilities but if your work from home, you'd better be sure that
the infrastructure is there to support you.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:44 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,215,780 times
RR has CableOne, right?

Old 01-05-2010, 05:54 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJR View Post
I have been contemplating a move to N.M. in the nex few years and have narrowed my consideration to Las Cruces, Placitas & Rio Rancho.

So what can anyone tell me to help me make my choice?
Placitas & Rio Rancho are towns which are very close to each other, but they are different. Yes crime rate is low in Rio Rancho and also low in Placitas which is a small town, ~50,000 vs ~5,000. Placitas has some wonderful scenery, average cost of houses are higher. I don't know about utilities... I have lived in Rio Rancho 11 years.

Las Cruces, about 240 miles South of the above two. I would miss Rio Rancho and Albuquerque. There is a lot to do in the ABQ immediate area...

Not sure how you came out with those three choices...

Rich

Old 01-05-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
I'd check into *REALISTIC* broadband rates in Placitas and Las Cruces. I live
on the Westside a couple miles below RR and I typically get about 8mps download
speed using Comcast so I would assume that RR probably has about the same.

Being much smaller and 20+ miles outside ABQ, Placitas may not have as good a
speed capability despite being a high-end community. I have no idea about Las
Cruces' internet capabilities but if your work from home, you'd better be sure that
the infrastructure is there to support you.
Good point.
Since I am a few years out I am hoping Verizon Fios will get there by then.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Placitas & Rio Rancho are towns which are very close to each other, but they are different. Yes crime rate is low in Rio Rancho and also low in Placitas which is a small town, ~50,000 vs ~5,000. Placitas has some wonderful scenery, average cost of houses are higher. I don't know about utilities... I have lived in Rio Rancho 11 years.

Las Cruces, about 240 miles South of the above two. I would miss Rio Rancho and Albuquerque. There is a lot to do in the ABQ immediate area...

Rich
Thanx Poncho

Those choice were made by the wife. We are originally from NYC and we moved to Southern Virginia (not into Dixie).
From what I've see the house cost would not be an issue as my budget would be under $800K
My major concern is crime rates, neighborhood, and now I also include internet speed.
This will probably be the last house I buy & plan enjoy retirement. I will also be interested in green energy as I will be installing Wind turbines & solar panels to the property.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

Rich
Thanx Poncho

Those choice were made by the wife. We are originally from NYC and we moved to Southern Virginia (not into Dixie).
From what I've seen the house cost would not be an issue as my budget would be under $800K
My major concern is crime rates, neighborhood, and now I also include internet speed.
This will probably be the last house I buy & plan enjoy retirement. I will also be interested in green energy as I will be installing Wind turbines & solar panels to the property.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:29 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times
For solar, each of those cities is fine. (As is the whole state, pretty much)

For wind, each of those places is marginal at best. If you head east of any of them by a couple dozen miles, that can begin to change. In general in NM, windy places do not = cities.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
For solar, each of those cities is fine. (As is the whole state, pretty much)

For wind, each of those places is marginal at best. If you head east of any of them by a couple dozen miles, that can begin to change. In general in NM, windy places do not = cities.
I figured Solar would be the prevalent system. Currently I live in a low wind area (5-10 mph) so I have turbines with low wind requirements. Unfortunately I am limited by my property size (.25 acre) & ordinances. I am hoping to be able to increase the amount of solar panels to seriously augment my systems. Land seems to be readily available there.

Looking at google I notice that many roads of the homes I am looking at seem to have a lot of dirt/dust on them. I can't really tell if it is due to construction or because of conditions.
Is it very dusty in that area of NM?
Also how difficult and expensive is it to have a well drilled? This would be for irrigation and car washing etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico