Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:02 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,285,196 times

Advertisements

would be typing this but I so miss Alamogordo. We are in D.C./NOVA on temporary assignment until Feb.

My son called me yesterday morning asking me if it was cold here, it isn't, and said when he went to work at 4 a.m. it was 50 in Alamo. I am so jealous, then walked out onto the balcony of our apartment this morning to see if it was cool, it wasn't, and got hit with humidity. Never thought I would miss my xeriscaped front yard but I do.

It will be good to get back home and keeping my fingers crossed that the boys and I can talk my hubby out of putting in for a permanent position here. I have decided while I would love for my husband to get his promotion, I don't think it is worth it to move here. Just gotta talk him out of wanting to move here.

For those who may read this that lives in the Cloudcroft area, did the cooler weather bring any dusting of snow up there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 09:22 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,887,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
would be typing this but I so miss Alamogordo. We are in D.C./NOVA on temporary assignment until Feb.

My son called me yesterday morning asking me if it was cold here, it isn't, and said when he went to work at 4 a.m. it was 50 in Alamo. I am so jealous, then walked out onto the balcony of our apartment this morning to see if it was cool, it wasn't, and got hit with humidity. Never thought I would miss my xeriscaped front yard but I do.

It will be good to get back home and keeping my fingers crossed that the boys and I can talk my hubby out of putting in for a permanent position here. I have decided while I would love for my husband to get his promotion, I don't think it is worth it to move here. Just gotta talk him out of wanting to move here.

For those who may read this that lives in the Cloudcroft area, did the cooler weather bring any dusting of snow up there?
Uh oh.......he likes it and you don't.....don't know what the answer is there.

I don't know whether or not CC got light snow, but they did have their first freeze night before last.....and yesterday was 55/28.

It's GREAT in Alamo right now.....yesterday was 74/47.

Best time of year.....love these crisp, cool mornings. VERY glad that summer is over for the most part. I'm sick of it.

I can't wait to see Sierra Blanca (visible at the end of the block) snow-capped again.

Hurry back.....one of my 3 chiltepin bushes has ripening red pods--the other 2 didn't do so well, but I'll winter them over in the garage.

Red habanero shows closed blooms....don't think there is enough time left to get any of those...

Old 09-24-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Uh oh.......he likes it and you don't.....don't know what the answer is there.

I don't know whether or not CC got light snow, but they did have their first freeze night before last.....and yesterday was 55/28.

It's GREAT in Alamo right now.....yesterday was 74/47.

Best time of year.....love these crisp, cool mornings. VERY glad that summer is over for the most part. I'm sick of it.

I can't wait to see Sierra Blanca (visible at the end of the block) snow-capped again.

Hurry back.....one of my 3 chiltepin bushes has ripening red pods--the other 2 didn't do so well, but I'll winter them over in the garage.

Red habanero shows closed blooms....don't think there is enough time left to get any of those...

Glad to hear at least one of your chiltepin bushes has something. You are probably right that there won't be enough time to get any habaneros.

Now I can't see the Sierra Blanca from my house but once I drive down to Indian Wells I can, but I do have an awesome view of the Sacramento's.

I love this time of year in Alamo too, love walking outside and getting chill bumps or sitting with hubby out on the patio Sat mornings covered up drinking coffee. None of that here, it is still to humid. We went and bought jeans and stuff 2 weekends ago because we had a chilly day but it didn't stick around. I can't quite figure out the wanting/not wanting to move situation either, unless I just make him super mad and tell him if he doesn't get anything this go around on jobs I don't want him to put in, in Jan. The boys are really not liking it here but thinking it may be because we are in an apartment and they don't have their own stuff or their dogs, they maybe fine if we moved back and actually lived in a house.

We did decide that if he gets a job and we come back we will probably live in Stafford and he will have at least an hour and a few minutes commute one way. We like the town, they actually have affordable houses as opposed to apts and townhouses, and the people are really friendly. Several of the guys he works with now live out there and say the commute is worth it for what if offers their families. Hopefully though we will just come back to Alamo and stay there.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
Quote:

give it time, you will soon feel the cool mornings and you will see the beautiful changing of the trees. You probably are seeing some now. I am not min your wanting to return back to NM, but enjoy the wonderful fall and early winter in NWVA. Everyplace has things to make it special.

Nita

Old 09-24-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
give it time, you will soon feel the cool mornings and you will see the beautiful changing of the trees. You probably are seeing some now. I am not min your wanting to return back to NM, but enjoy the wonderful fall and early winter in NWVA. Everyplace has things to make it special.

Nita
Someone just told me a few minutes ago that changes were coming in the weather and that fall was the nicest season in NOVA. They said spring was craxy with up and down weather but fall was nice. I am just keeping my fingers crossed for no snow until we leave here in Feb. I think I am wishing in vain however since most here think it is going to be a harsh winter. The trees aren't changing to much yet here but probably will be soon.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:32 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,025,627 times
Quote:
Someone just told me a few minutes ago that changes were coming in the weather and that fall was the nicest season in NOVA. They said spring was craxy with up and down weather but fall was nice. I am just keeping my fingers crossed for no snow until we leave here in Feb. I think I am wishing in vain however since most here think it is going to be a harsh winter. The trees aren't changing to much yet here but probably will be soon.
I have heard harsh winter in Timberon, Alamo and back here in Illinois. I don't think you will miss the snow there. It usually starts hitting in Dec. Thats one reason we go back to Nm. Farming takes place for DH spring and fall. Humidity??? HATE IT... and what am I doing? canning so its that much hotter in the house.
Good luck on what ever happens for you on the job situation.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:48 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,202,831 times
ajzjmsmom: I miss being in Alamogordo and I don't even live there (or somewhere else in NM) yet. I know what you mean about the humidity. I can hardly wait to get away from it!

Old 09-24-2009, 05:11 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,887,457 times
We did decide that if he gets a job and we come back we will probably live in Stafford and he will have at least an hour and a few minutes commute one way. We like the town, they actually have affordable houses as opposed to apts and townhouses, and the people are really friendly. Several of the guys he works with now live out there and say the commute is worth it for what if offers their families. Hopefully though we will just come back to Alamo and stay there.

Well, Feb is a ways off....so I imagine y'all will know what to do by the time you have to make another decision.

Meanwhile, go, see and do....! You're near LOTS of history!

Old 09-28-2009, 05:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,827,375 times
Same paying job in WashDC or Alamogordo. That is not a dificult choice.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Same paying job in WashDC or Alamogordo. That is not a dificult choice.

Actually better paying job in DC since he will get a substanial promotion, of course add in the cost of housing and that almost but not quite brings it to the same pay, the only difference is the DC job is much better for our retirement fund.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico