Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 02:28 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,110,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbguy
Why is race always a concern on NM City-Data forum?
I think you'll find that the regulars pretty much ignore it,
but frequently have to answer the question from new posters.

Since the mix in NM is so unusual, some people need assurance
about it. Some post asking about Hispanics like they are just
"background noise" like tumbleweeds and don't participate in the
forum like "regular people."

Sometimes, you'll get a black poster wanting to know if they can
possibly fit in since there so few of their race living here.

Others want to know if mixed-race couples can fit in.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:28 AM

424 posts, read 955,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
If I wanted to move to Mississippi and I asked questions on how a hispanic would be accepted there, then what you are saying is that I should just stay where I am, Im very accepting and I would want to know if the locals will hate me and run me out of town or be just as accepting as me. I've been to the South a couple times and I wasnt looking to see if people would look at me weird, it felt just like any other place but of course living somewhere else is different.
South, North, East, or West shouldn't matter where you want to live. If you make a decision to move there and do your best to fit in such as volunteer, treat people like you like to be treated, you'll have no problem anywhere. If you already have a feeling going in that you may not be accepted well then....you probably won't. Of course you may not be treated as a local but that is anywhere you aren't originally from.

Lets face it San Diego is next to Mexico and you don't see posts about people being so concerned being so close to Mexico.

My original posting was more of an observation. I visit other city forum sites and just don't find race related topics as frequently as we see here. Go visit other forum sites and you'll see what I mean. If I was considering moving to NM and I visited this web site first, I would have second thoughts on coming here.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:33 AM

424 posts, read 955,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Sometimes, you'll get a black poster wanting to know if they can possibly fit in since there so few of their race living here.

Others want to know if mixed-race couples can fit in.
My point is look at all the New Mexico posts and many of them have a racial slant to the post. Way more than other city forum sites.

I agree some people have directed questions to ask like the ones you posted, but it seems like for over the last year we sure do see a bunch.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:00 AM

361 posts, read 1,094,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
I think you'll find that the regulars pretty much ignore it,
but frequently have to answer the question from new posters.

Since the mix in NM is so unusual, some people need assurance
about it.
I agree with Mortimer on this one.

I'd add that the race questions are typically asked by people who are not from NM and are asking them to try and relieve any sort of "fear of the unknown" - for the slight anxiety they may have about moving, or visiting a place that seems foreign to them.

They may think that ABQ and New Mexico will be more different to them, because of the composition of people who live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico