Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:54 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
I'm considering buying land in NM as well. Thanks for the tips given in this thread.

If it turns to be a wasteland, sit on it...you will profit from inflation, anyway.
Absolute nonsense. There are plenty of places in New Mexico and Colorado where values of "wasteland" have not kept up with inflation, without even considering the carrying cost--most notably property taxes. That shallow statement is like saying all stocks always go up in value--even the crappy ones. The statement about real estate values especially rings false now, when we are likely entering what may be a long-term bear market in real estate. Real estate has enjoyed a long-term bull market, to be sure--long enough to seduce people into thinking that it can only continue to go up and that any real estate investment is a good one. That thinking has, as it usually does, created a huge speculative bubble that now is bursting. Of course, there are some that would say that having some Western land owners fleece a bunch of out-of-state tenderfoots out of their money is just dandy--especially on some sight-unseen little piece of the "Old West." After those suckers find out what they've bought, maybe they'll be game to buy some snake-oil, too--helps get that bitter taste out of their mouths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 09:59 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,987 times
i dont find any raw land wasteland they have alot for sale in southern colorado, cheap. it might not be for everyones taste but it might be for some. although i do have to agree buying land without seeing it isnt a good idea.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:05 PM

107 posts, read 201,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Absolute nonsense. There are plenty of places in New Mexico and Colorado where values of "wasteland" have not kept up with inflation, without even considering the carrying cost--most notably property taxes. That shallow statement is like saying all stocks always go up in value--even the crappy ones. The statement about real estate values especially rings false now, when we are likely entering what may be a long-term bear market in real estate. Real estate has enjoyed a long-term bull market, to be sure--long enough to seduce people into thinking that it can only continue to go up and that any real estate investment is a good one. That thinking has, as it usually does, created a huge speculative bubble that now is bursting. Of course, there are some that would say that having some Western land owners fleece a bunch of out-of-state tenderfoots out of their money is just dandy--especially on some sight-unseen little piece of the "Old West." After those suckers find out what they've bought, maybe they'll be game to buy some snake-oil, too--helps get that bitter taste out of their mouths.
I agree that there are a whole lot of people who bought land when they shouldn't have. Now they're sitting around whining and blaming the whole world for their stupidity. I hope some of them take your post to heart and drop those prices a lot more.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:49 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radicat View Post
I agree that there are a whole lot of people who bought land when they shouldn't have. Now they're sitting around whining and blaming the whole world for their stupidity. I hope some of them take your post to heart and drop those prices a lot more.
A lot of people treat land as if it was a commodity or an investment. By doing this you lose your respect for the land and nature. After that the next step becomes developing everything under the sun so that more people can invest and treat the rest of the land the same way. Unfortunately land is a finite resource.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:29 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
A lot of people treat land as if it was a commodity or an investment. By doing this you lose your respect for the land and nature. After that the next step becomes developing everything under the sun so that more people can invest and treat the rest of the land the same way. Unfortunately land is a finite resource.
Someone hasn't seen the most recent Superman movie...

...the villain decides to create new islands in the ocean, giving him ultimate power!

Old 08-13-2009, 07:49 PM

332 posts, read 1,035,789 times
It costs a few hundred dollars to fly to New Mexico from anywhere - PLEASE do that before buying land unseen. In New Mexico it's illegal to sell land that has no access to it, but other than that you could be in for a bunch of expensive and unwelcome surprises....

Old 09-16-2009, 02:19 PM

5 posts, read 14,890 times
I've got some land that I am putting a cabin on between Mora and Guadalupita. It is a beautiful area and there are a quite a few people who are buying and moving in from out of state.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:04 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I hope not too many people move in. It would destroy the isolated, magical character I remember the area having.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:12 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I hope not too many people move in. It would destroy the isolated, magical character I remember the area having.
Heh, I think it's too late for that. There is some character left, but I'm not sure you can call it magical.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:39 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Well, I have a tendency to wax poetic about NM. Perhaps I should have my poetic license revoked. But I do hope it hasn't changed much since I was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico