Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 05:28 PM

5,768 posts, read 11,390,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmexican View Post
Oh ya, water is brown alot, but it is drinkable. Go to the Water and ice store to get set up with the bottled water dispensors and stuff. Kathy is a sweetheart.
I went for a roadtrip through Southern NM towns in November. Stayed at a motel in Socorro. After I check in, went to wash up before going out for some dinner. That nasty brown water came out of the faucet. Looked like iced tea! I called up the motel office to find out what the water deal is, and they said "don't worry, it's like that a lot around here".
OK folks, I've been to all 50 states and 40+ other countries including almost every country in the Americas. Never seen any junk like that come out of a faucet. I went running down to the Walmart for some jugs of drinking water. Needless to say that completely turned me off. I was afraid to ask for a glass of iced tea at the restaurant, I had to get a beer instead.
I got home and looked up the tap water report for that town, and not surprising there was quite a bit of junk in the water.
http://www.ewg.org/tapwater/yourwate...wsid=NM3523728
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 07:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,821,925 times
NewMexican - Just the sort of info I was liiking for. I copied and sent ti to Anne.

Thanks

Old 02-24-2007, 06:17 AM

606 posts, read 699,795 times
There's nothing but New mexico Tech

Old 03-18-2007, 07:47 AM

11 posts, read 58,549 times
Default Socorro, NM

I am looking at Socorro NM for retirement. Any input would be appreciated. I plan on a trip in April to look for a home. I believe I read about everything on the net about Socorro but someone that is living there or has lived there should have some input into the negatives and positives. Is there any fishing nearby? That one's important..

Old 03-18-2007, 08:12 AM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,291,930 times
You have Elephant Butte about 70 or so miles south of Socorro. Caballo lake is just a bit further south. You have Quemado lake about 125 miles to the west. It may still be overrun with goldfish. The game and fish dept released tiger muskies in there a few years back to address the goldfish problems. Not sure how that has turned out.
Escondida also has a small lake near the river. I have always seen folks fishing there when I have been in that area so it may be worth cheking into.
I have also seen folks fishing in the river and irrigation ditches.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:58 PM

140 posts, read 475,509 times
Default Hello NMretire

We are moving from some of the best fishing in the country, No Central Arkansas,(you would'nt believe the nice Bass and trout you can catch here), to NM also for Health reasons. Make sure to look up State and EPA sites on lakes and river pollution if you plan to eat the fish you catch. I wouldnt say i am an environmental , just careful. Why have you picked soccoro? just wondering, Good luck with all, AJ

Old 03-22-2007, 12:44 PM

I am also looking at Socorro for semi-retirement. I like the fact that a college is in town because that will let me resume my geology studies.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:49 PM

11 posts, read 58,549 times
Default considering Socorro

Thanks for the responses. I like the fact that Socorro is small yet close to Albuquerque for medical reasons. I am going to check out t or c and Elephant Butte when I fly down in 3 weeks.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:01 AM

Let us know what you think of the area after you get back.

OH - Try Mannie's, not the Owl, in San Antonio (south of Socorro at the Jet of I-25 & Rt 380) for a Green Chili cheesburger.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:23 PM

39 posts, read 269,557 times
Default Socorro

College town with not much to do; golf course to improve your game, lake is not too faw away. Home prices are reasonable and there are beautiful farmlands that are green, green, green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico