Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 02:03 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,689,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiaDalma View Post
I think by the end of the week, I could spare some snow and ship it to Ruidoso and Timberon, for Cathy and Song! LOL
Drop it right up there on top of the Mountains
How's that?! LOL
We'll be clear of 6/3's and Cathy can travel To it Song can wear her layers of clothes

And who's doin' the body parts sacrifices!? Hehehe

Tia Dalma- sharing
Yeah i know they would love that snow up in Ski Apache .

Anyway while we in Southern NM have milder winters than up in Northern NM they up in Northern NM has milder summers than us down here in the South part of the state so it all balances out as that's what makes New Mexico a really neat state.

Go to Florida and North Florida is just as hot and humid as South Florida. Go to New York and upstate New York is just as cold as New York City .

So if you like mild summers than come out to Northern NM and if you like mild winters than come on down here too .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 02:13 PM

9,384 posts, read 20,872,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Yeah i know they would love that snow up in Ski Apache .

Anyway while we in Southern NM have milder winters than up in Northern NM they up in Northern NM has milder summers than us down here in the South part of the state so it all balances out as that's what makes New Mexico a really neat state.

Go to Florida and North Florida is just as hot and humid as South Florida. Go to New York and upstate New York is just as cold as New York City .

So if you like mild summers than come out to Northern NM and if you like mild winters than come on down here too .
6-3,

I hate to disagree with you about NY, but as an ex-New Yorker (ok, born there and family there) I have to say that Watertown NY <> Westchester County NY. It's a whole nother ball game up around the Great Lakes.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:21 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,689,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
6-3,

I hate to disagree with you about NY, but as an ex-New Yorker (ok, born there and family there) I have to say that Watertown NY <> Westchester County NY. It's a whole nother ball game up around the Great Lakes.
LOL....Ok. i stand corrected thanks Mike !

Anyway what i was trying to allude to is at least New Mexico is large enough to suit many different tastes and styles including the weather category .

Old 12-16-2008, 04:13 PM

7,399 posts, read 19,376,402 times
Tia, that's funny about bringing us snow. Bring it on.
Hogfarmer, I'm thinking that late March might be a little late for skiing but I can't swear by that.
Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge about skiing will chime in.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:26 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,917,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfarmer View Post
Cathy and Song (and whomever else knows more than me!), how late in the year can you safely figure there will be some skiing at Apache? We're planning to come out in late March to look at drilling the well (hopefully) and were thinking it might be fun to see what real mountain skiing is like (rather than the ice-hills we have here). But how long do they keep things open-will late March be too late?

Also, anyone have any thoughts on putting a cheap trailer on a property before we build a house? We're thinking of spending maybe $40-$50k for a used trailer a guy could use for a few years before one could afford to build a permanent structure (assuming this economy ever gets back to normal, that is). Is there a place to look at for trailers, or is the best source the classified sections?

Thanks all! Warmed up to -5 today, supposed to get above zero tomorrow-yeah! And yes, 6 foot, you started this just to rub it into to folks like EnjoyEP and me!
Well, even though SkiApache sometimes stays open until the first week in April, conditions are usually poor, with spring slush over icy patches, bare ground in places, etc. Other than a weekend here and there, SkiApache was never more than about 20% open all last season. They do have snowmaking, but when it gets too warm during the day, melts, then freezes overnight, it's not very much fun. The terrain is really rough, so it really needs a good depth at midway to make it worthwhile.

But the area usually stays open as long as conditions are good, which is rare. With its mix of terrain (anything from green to good blues to double diamond) it has the potential to be the best ski area in the state. But I don't think it has ever been very well run since it was sold to the tribe...and they don't have a clue how to handle huge crowds.

I'm beginning to remember why we passed it by in the early 1980s, and just drove on to Durango/Purgatory. Durango Mountain Resort is still my favorite area (and I loved Wolf Creek, too)...and that's why I sometimes have some regrets that I didn't go back up to Farmington.

I just don't have it in me these days to drive 400 miles for skiing. I did it for too many years in the 1970s-1980s. I am out of practice, and was hoping to be able to go frequently...so I could break out of my intermediate rut. But...it doesn't look like that is going to happen this season, but stranger things have happened.

You can log onto SkiApache dot com, click conditions...and see the webcam.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiaDalma View Post
I think by the end of the week, I could spare some snow and ship it to Ruidoso and Timberon, for Cathy and Song! LOL
Drop it right up there on top of the Mountains
How's that?! LOL
We'll be clear of 6/3's and Cathy can travel To it Song can wear her layers of clothes

And who's doin' the body parts sacrifices!? Hehehe

Tia Dalma- sharing
All you can send will be greatly appreciated....LOL!!

At least Sierra Blanca at the end of the block is gorgeous!!! I have to be careful not to gawk at it while I'm driving...

Old 12-16-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
This is my first winter here and it has been mild so far. I've had to wear my jacket but not a coat.
I figured by now I'd be bundled up.
I would like more snow.

Catman, my mom lives in San Antonio and I talked to her last night. Sunday night she was at an outside church service with beautiful weather. No coats or jackets. Monday, it was into the freezing temps. That hardly happens in Texas.

I'm hoping that the temps stay mild. Bring on the snow but keep the temps mild.
I took my car in for an oil change and checkup this am....and saw people in heavy jackets with furlined hoods....and others in SHORTS. LOL!! I had on a long-sleeved tshirt, but no coat. It is 61 degrees here now....and I can't see why people need even light jackets right now.

It got up to 82 near Austin, where Sis lives, so I guess I won't complain too much!! At least it's not hot, and that in itself is something to be grateful for, as well as the beautiful country here. It's just too bad that it has to be so far south, because that is really the issue. Even CC isn't particularly cold at 8500+ feet.

It's also probably why Timberon is so temperate for its high elevation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico