Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2008, 03:13 PM

854 posts, read 1,719,975 times

Advertisements

The atlas I have doesn't show many lakes in New Mexico. What towns would you recommend we retire to if we wanted the following:

Nice small town(not too far from larger town for grocery store, etc).
Low crime
Higher elevation (so summers are cooler, and not much snow).
Fishing(the closer, the better)
Affordable housing
Nice view of mountains

I originally thought about TorC, but the more I read, the less I liked it.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 03:44 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,302,140 times
Try Aztec. Not to far from Navajo lake and the quality waters of the San Juan river.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:18 PM

215 posts, read 653,571 times
Sugarite State Park has 3 lakes, they are stocked and the fishing is great. They can freeze in the winter so that might not be what you are looking for. Raton is a nice little town, really trying to become better, hopefully when the Racino opens up, it will help. Trinidad isn't far - 20 minutes away, Pueblo and Las Vegas are the same distance - 114 miles.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:16 PM

775 posts, read 2,593,677 times
Default Santa Rosa New Mexico

Santa Rosa New Mexico is called the City of Natural Lakes for all its fishing places rivers and Lakes right in town and boating lakes to the north and south and east if you like fishing and living in one of the most beautiful little towns in New Mexico that is growing and lots of jobs this is the place. Rudolfo Anaya lived in this area and talks lots about the Area in Bless Me Ultima and other Great Books he wrote.They just built a Monument for him in Santa Rosa its by the Family Dollar. P.S. The Good Mexican food Restaurants are everywhere. Kid Tip ... There was a Lady called Ladyhawke selling property along the Pecos River. el pintada kid

Old 12-06-2008, 07:09 AM
TKO

4,150 posts, read 4,296,950 times
Silver City is pretty close to Bill Evans, Bear Canyon and Lake Roberts. Check out the map here

NMDGF

Old 12-06-2008, 12:51 PM

261 posts, read 938,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
The atlas I have doesn't show many lakes in New Mexico.

New Mexico has some fishing, but it's not a place you move to in order to enjoy the water. We're pretty much desert. Over 60% of the surface water that flows through New Mexico is in the San Juan and Animas rivers, and those two rivers only flow through the very northwest corner of the state for a distance of maybe 50 miles. The bodies of water here that are fishable are totally dependant on snowpack, and will vary widely from decent fishing to mudholes depending on the previous winters snowfall. The past few years drought has not been kind to us. And because there just isn't that much water here, you'll always have plenty of company when you fish.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:05 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,452,119 times
Might look into Clayton too. Great fishing at the State Park. Alot of retiree's come here because of the affordable housing. Alot cheaper to buy here than Raton. Pace is relaxed. Little over an hour to Dumas TX and Raton too. I like it.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:40 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,359,081 times
It seems the raibow trout were jumping right into my husband fishing tub while fishing Chama River this past October. Boy was he proud of himself!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico