Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:47 AM

56 posts, read 148,758 times

Advertisements

OP
Here's some issues you might want to look into, I won't state my opinion, but I know in rural NM they are REAL issues that need addressed:
Water - not only affecting city dwellers but also many agricultural based operations (farmers, chile growers, pinon harvest, etc)
Education - we are one of the most uneducated states in the nation, with one of the highest dropout rates, and also one of the highest teen pregnancy rates.
Minorities - we are one of the only states in which the minority is the majority, how does that affect things like government assistance, scholorships, etc
Poverty/Unemployment - we have a high rate of employment and the poverty threshold is very high
Illegal Citizens/Border Control Issues
Gambling - Pros and Cons - what it gives to the state (taxes, scholarships, much needed income, etc) and what it takes away (addiction, bankruptsies, etc)
Reservations - maybe cover some of the issues the native americans are having ie poverty, education, law enforcement, etc

That might be a start for you... And I think that you have an excellent idea in gathering information for your college project. If I had known about this forum before I would have used it in information gathering!!!!

To those not quite understanding why the op is using city-data: When you need to research on something you know nothing about, it is often best to go to those who have first hand knowledge... ie citizens of NM. By asking the simple question that they did they atleast has a basis to in which to begin thier research. They could simply google everything and not even touch on the subjects that are really important or go directly to the people and ask... hmmmm much as politicians themselves do?!

If I was your professor OP I would be Extremely Proud for going beyond published media, asking citizens for the real issues, and backing that up with researched data!!

Old 10-09-2008, 09:14 AM

946 posts, read 3,269,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post

Basically the issues are what I expected, economy like the rest of the country, immigration (border state) etc.

Thanks to anyone with meaningful input, others may need to start minding their own business.
I was trying to help. You should know that your approach to education is inadequate and would get you in trouble with a serious professor.

Please show me these sources of yours -- particularly the one that shows that immigration is an important issue in this election in New Mexico.

In the meantime you might want to look at
http://www.kdbc.com/Global/story.asp?S=9151674&nav=menu608_2_3 (broken link)
Immigration does not make the list.

Last edited by Devin Bent; 10-09-2008 at 09:25 AM..

Old 10-13-2008, 12:15 PM

67 b-i-l-l-i-o-n dollars was spent on educating illegal immigrants in NM in 2004. Not only k-12, but at the collegiant level... I was denied Financial aid that year eventhough my parents had 5 children and my father was permanently disabled, and yet illegal immigrants recieved financial aid - and - scholarships...
NM allows illegal immigrants to obtain driver's licenses... so with a little cash and a photo id you could say, board a plane.... sounds like 9/11 to me...
Illegal immigration is important enough to be discussed on presidential debates, but not important enough to NM citizens? Have we just accepted the problem as one that will not be corrected and turned a blind eye?

Old 10-13-2008, 03:04 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,656,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gberry View Post
67 b-i-l-l-i-o-n dollars was spent on educating illegal immigrants in NM in 2004. Not only k-12, but at the collegiant level... I was denied Financial aid
$67 Billion??? Where's that number come from? Provide a source for us to verify. The entire FY 2008/2009 New Mexico State Budget is $6 billion in which 58% or $4 billion goes to all education levels whether legal/illegal etc...

Old 10-13-2008, 03:31 PM

I am looking for the exact page again but the stat was provided by the INS to wikipedia.com

Old 10-13-2008, 03:37 PM

Economic impact of illegal immigrants in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

that's the link... Under the heading of education...

Old 10-13-2008, 03:44 PM

mispelling... meant million instead of billion... sorry typo... that's still a lot of money... compared to the budgeted 4-6 billion on all educational spending

Old 10-13-2008, 03:48 PM

946 posts, read 3,269,096 times
gberry,

I am sympathetic -- IMO financial aid should go to US citizens or legal residents based on need. In fact, a great deal of it goes elsewhere and not just to illegal immigrants. In fact, I agree with you strngly and think a terrible injustice is worked.

However, the source cited says $67 million, not billion, unless my poor tired old eyes are failing me.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:58 PM

Mr. Bent... the link you provided only sited the economy and a few other issues as concerns of New Mexicans... are you saying that because the complete list is not posted that New Mexican's aren't concerned about immigrations... hmmmm maybe the 20 years I spent in NM was actually spent somewhere else. My family, my community, and the politicians that i worked with always thought it was a huge issue... but maybe I have selective hearing. : )

Old 10-13-2008, 04:01 PM

One last thing before I log off today... Richardson even thought illegal immigration was important enough to base a large portion of his presidential platform off of... and we all know who he is supposed to be representing, the NM citizens ~ very interesting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico