Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 05:11 PM

946 posts, read 3,266,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gberry View Post
One last thing before I log off today... Richardson even thought illegal immigration was important enough to base a large portion of his presidential platform off of... and we all know who he is supposed to be representing, the NM citizens ~ very interesting
When Richardson ran for President, he would have to be concerned about big states like California and Texas -- where immigration is more of an issue -- so I doubt that he was representing us.

Notice that immigration seems to have dropped out as an issue in the Presidential election with neither candidate or party bringing it up. There are probably a variety of reasons for this, most especially the state of the economy

The cited poll of New Mexicans was open ended -- people could say whatever they wanted. Their answers total up to 99%. That means that every other possible issue including immigration all totaled together was named by 1% or less.

Sorry -- immigration is just not that big a deal for most New Mexicans. You can argue that it should be -- but that was not the question. Maybe for the next election the economy will be fine, and immigration will be more of an issue -- but again that was not the question.

Last edited by Devin Bent; 10-13-2008 at 06:40 PM..

Old 10-13-2008, 06:03 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
I wish i'd remember where i read this (Newspaper or City Data?) but it stated that with the turndown in the country has many illegals going back down south. Many were employed in the housing industry and also the resteraunt industry as these have laid off alot of them.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:30 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
6/3!! Whazzup?? Talked to a friend of mine who is a state patrolman in Arizona, assigned in the west Phoenix area. Arizona's economy is not good at all. He knows some green card guys who are good workers who are trying to get on at the Swift meatpacking plant in Greeley, 55 miles north of Denver. A good friend of mine who owns a music shop in Omaha says the beef and other ag plants are still hiring and a lot of them are taking those positions. I'm afraid the construction industry is in for a big slowdown until the economy straightens up. And I read a similar story in USA Today regarding the slowdown with a lot of immigrants going back home. At least for now.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:21 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,344,251 times
My answer to the op would be the water situation.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:07 PM

946 posts, read 3,266,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
6/3!! Whazzup?? Talked to a friend of mine who is a state patrolman in Arizona, assigned in the west Phoenix area. Arizona's economy is not good at all. He knows some green card guys who are good workers who are trying to get on at the Swift meatpacking plant in Greeley, 55 miles north of Denver. A good friend of mine who owns a music shop in Omaha says the beef and other ag plants are still hiring and a lot of them are taking those positions.
Jen Leno the other night reported a story that people eat more in bad economic times. So that may be why the ag plants are doing so well.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:26 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gberry View Post
One last thing before I log off today... Richardson even thought illegal immigration was important enough to base a large portion of his presidential platform off of... and we all know who he is supposed to be representing, the NM citizens ~ very interesting
The cheap labor proponents believe there should be no limits at all, the feel they should be allowed to bring in any amount of the cheapest labor possible. They can find many people in certain third world nations who will gladly work for less than minimum wage no health insurance and who won't expect overtime pay and other benefits. Then there are those who believe the USA has a duty to take in all the impoverished people in the world and give them a nice life here. They don't believe in people limiting family size or delaying the start of a family -- it's not fair to expect responsibility from the so-called poor. They don't consider the effects of a population doubling every few decades. It just seems nice to let everyone who wants come here.

Others -- if they believe that immigration should be orderly, balanced, and legal, that it shouldn't be a free-for-all, that bringing in impoverished people who will need all kinds of social services isn't smart are considered anti-illegal immigration.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:41 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
6/3!! Whazzup?? Talked to a friend of mine who is a state patrolman in Arizona, assigned in the west Phoenix area. Arizona's economy is not good at all. He knows some green card guys who are good workers who are trying to get on at the Swift meatpacking plant in Greeley, 55 miles north of Denver. A good friend of mine who owns a music shop in Omaha says the beef and other ag plants are still hiring and a lot of them are taking those positions. I'm afraid the construction industry is in for a big slowdown until the economy straightens up. And I read a similar story in USA Today regarding the slowdown with a lot of immigrants going back home. At least for now.
Yeap that doesn't surprise me about them at meat packing plants. They are also working at some dairies and farms south of Las Cruces down to Anthony and i also read they are working the oil fields out by hobbs.

Still for me it's our military bases that matter to me the most.

Dude i see you have 944 posts to my 824 in the Music Forums.....Waz up with that ...lol....

Later HH !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico