Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2007, 06:35 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,422,967 times

Advertisements

I've been living in New Mexico for just over 4 years now and have created a repetoire of how to survive.

Among my list of things to do in order to make life more pleasant, are the following:
* Apply sun screen regardless of the season
* Keep some water, a blanket and some candy bars in the car trunk

Does anyone out there have any other suggestions? I can use 'em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 08:39 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,113,560 times
- join and use the public library; it is a great educator and gathering place

- drink your coffee each day in a cafe; sit looking towards the door

- learn to speak spanish

Old 02-04-2007, 08:08 PM

253 posts, read 1,130,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
I've been living in New Mexico for just over 4 years now and have created a repetoire of how to survive.

Among my list of things to do in order to make life more pleasant, are the following:
* Apply sun screen regardless of the season
* Keep some water, a blanket and some candy bars in the car trunk

Does anyone out there have any other suggestions? I can use 'em.
Good ideas! On the way moving to this State, there was an accident involving an overturned vehicle and a semi-tractor trailer in the center divider of the 10 Fwy outside of Lordsburg. Traffic was backed up and people were meandering up & down the freeway. It was 112 degrees outside (July).

So, I would add carrying an umbrella (shade) and a large bottle of cold water with you in the summertime. Also some hard candies and lip balm. Would help keep you hydrated should the road get backed up.

Also: Shopping online. Get DSL.

~Cali-girl (who lives in California & New Mexico)

Old 02-08-2007, 01:31 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
It seems to me that candy bars in the car trunk would turn to mush in the warmer parts of the state! Maybe it would be better to have something there that wouldn't liquefy. Water, a blanket and sunscreen are definitely good to have at hand.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:09 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,025,226 times
Probably hard candy would be a better idea.

And if you are a diabetic like me, you probably already know to have a sugar source with you at all times.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 5,043 times
I would add:

If you're going out for the day, take clothes for both cold and hot temperatures. (Layers are good.) In fact, be prepared for all types of weather.

If you have cats and/or dogs, don't leave them unattended outside (even in urban areas); coyotes will kill them.

Hire an exterminator BEFORE the centipedes show up in your house.

And (to repeat), carry lots of water with you, always.

Barbara

Old 02-09-2007, 09:59 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
--) Learn to speak Spanish.

--) Don't leave ANYTHING on the dashboard of your car. Unless you are purposefully trying to melt it.

--) Jalapenos. Learn them. Love them. Live them.

--) Always zip your sleeping bag.

--) Never call a small man in a uniform "Shorty."

--) "How y'all doin'?" is correctly pronounced as one syllable.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:09 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
Also a good cell phone would be required if you travel this state as there are lots of miles in between cities with little or no population around in case you break down and need assistance. I used to have Qwest wireless but when i exited the interstate at San Antonio to go to Carrizozo and then down to Alamogordo i had no cell service so i got Verizon wireless and now i have a signal all the way from ABQ to Alamogordo. (a very secure feeling)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico