Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:34 AM

11 posts, read 36,832 times

Advertisements

Has anyone made a move from Maine or any New England State to Silver City within the past few years? My husband and I are considering such a move. I can't take the long winters anymore and then the cool springs and then the BUGS! But I am afraid I will miss the green of grass and trees. I will be teaching online so I can relocate anywhere. Would love to hear from transplanted Mainers. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 10:59 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
Hi Karen!

Welcome to the City-Data NM forum!

Good questions ... I'm sure you will get them answered by members here. You can also do a search on Silver City and find some existing threads here which are full of information and opinions.

I am not in Silver City, I am in Santa Fe, but I AM a recent transplant ... and my first question to people considering a move ALWAYS is:

Have you visited the Silver City area? In my opinion, a visit is ESSENTIAL before you make such a huge decision for your life.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:59 AM

215 posts, read 839,725 times
I almost moved to northern ME many years ago, then moved to AK instead. Very similar climates. Then I moved to the mountains of NM four years ago. Plenty of green here, especially during the summer monsoon season. Check out this thread from last week.

Silver City is a nice happy medium. You'd be high enough in elevation to get out of the endless brown and into the green, yet you would not get as much snow and cold as the higher elevations. IMO, places in the 6,000-7,000-foot range (Silver City, Santa Fe, Ruidoso) are good for folks like you wanting to escape severe winters yet still avoid roasting summers. There are many smaller towns in this elevation range. Start studying the map.

Also do a search on Silver City. There's already lots of info here to plow through.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:01 AM

I have a cousin in Mimbres, NM - not a bad drive into Silver City, but VERY isolated. Beautiful country though.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:25 AM

Yes, we visited Silver City a few years ago in April and did some wonderful hikes in the Gila Wilderness. I really liked the size and feel of the town and thought it was quite beautiful. My husband unfortunately really likes the winter and would stay in Maine forever if I would. So we need to go somewhere in/near mountains and maybe where there is some snow in winter. After reading some other threads I am now thinking we might be better off in Northern NM, but I think it might be too expensive for us.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:00 PM

Well, I love winter and I am very partial to northern New Mexico myself.

Maybe you can research both areas and narrow down the search to some affordable places. I don't think every part of northern NM is out of the question as far as affordability.

I am really not too familiar with Silver City, but I think they DO get winter there. Not as much as Maine, certainly, but maybe enough to keep your husband happy.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:40 AM

775 posts, read 2,587,352 times
Default Maine To Silver

My Suggestion to most everyone except people who cant stand cold weather is the East Mountain area explore the whole state until you find the right area but the East Mountain area is my favorite area for Cold weather and Snow and Cool Summers.The Center of New Mexico is the Right place for me because i love exploring New Mexico and we have the Most Wonderful people in the State. The East mountain has Great Schools and Friendly people and lots of Activities in the summer for kids and Adults and its a half hour to Santa Fe or Albuquerque and little Traffic and Smog and crime. pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 06-21-2008, 01:09 PM

Post Pintada Kid

Thanks for the suggestion. Can you tell me what specific towns you mean by the East Mountain area?

Old 06-21-2008, 08:19 PM

775 posts, read 2,587,352 times
Default The East Mountain Area Means..

Anything East of the Mountains near Albuquerque is the East Mountain Area to me. A nice Affordable place is Moriarty, too close to the Mountains its more expensive and more fire danger and wild animal Danger and Scarce water. Feel free to email me if you need more info. If you like Cool Weather Snow friendly people and a Country way of life the East Mountain area can be the Ideal place and if it isnt your located in the center of N.M. where you can explore and find your place to live. pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 06-21-2008, 08:26 PM

My favorite place in the East Mountains is Cedar Crest, but I am guessing it is very expensive there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico