Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 09:15 PM

79 posts, read 226,541 times

Advertisements

Those small towns out in the southwest where people can go from other places to drop off the map and start over, populated by people who embrace strangeness. I come from north Jersey so I was always envious of those types of places where people who don't fit in anywhere else were welcome. I'm just not sure if they actually exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 10:59 PM

47 posts, read 130,758 times
Default Real, just not in NM

DE~I've actually been to such a place, but it wasn't in the southwest. It was Eureka Springs, AR. The locals call the place Freaky Eureky, and it is, but in a good way.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:22 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,484,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Entropy View Post
Those small towns out in the southwest where people can go from other places to drop off the map and start over, populated by people who embrace strangeness. I come from north Jersey so I was always envious of those types of places where people who don't fit in anywhere else were welcome. I'm just not sure if they actually exist.
There are plenty of places in the Rocky Mountain West that you--being from New Jersey--would probably find "strange." As to people living in towns in New Mexico that "don't fit anywhere else" in the US--there are probably some all over the Rocky Mountain West who might fit that description, but they fit in just fine here. Here, they are the norm--you might be the one that would stick out like a sore thumb.

As for dropping off the map, there are still some isolated places in the West, but most everyplace has internet access, satellite television, etc. So, "dropping out" isn't as common as it once was. Too many outsiders are also moving in--trying to "live the dream"--whatever that's supposed to be. Not very many "backwater" places left, anymore.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:25 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,613,011 times
I think for the most part "dropping out" anymore is myth unless you want to move to the more remote areas of Alaska. Maybe you just need to accept your life and try to fit in where you live. My favorite saying is "No matter where you go, there you are." To me this does not say all places are the same, but that no matter where a person goes, he or she can either make the best of it and flourish, or find nothing good at all in the place, and want to be somewhere else.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:04 PM

I'm not so much worried about technology. I'm speaking more about just going somewhere out of my comfort zone where I'm completely alone and unfamiliar. Where my only option is to sink or swim. The past four years of my life have been the longest I haven't been on a Greyhound bus bound for points unknown and being stuck somewhere I didn't return to entirely by choice is really starting to take it's toll on me.

I still have a few months before I'll have everything in place to leave so the search continues.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:27 AM

9,378 posts, read 20,814,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Entropy View Post
I'm not so much worried about technology. I'm speaking more about just going somewhere out of my comfort zone where I'm completely alone and unfamiliar. Where my only option is to sink or swim. The past four years of my life have been the longest I haven't been on a Greyhound bus bound for points unknown and being stuck somewhere I didn't return to entirely by choice is really starting to take it's toll on me.

I still have a few months before I'll have everything in place to leave so the search continues.
You are from Bayonne? I'd have to say that there is no place in the U.S. that is more upside down from Bayonne than southern NM, which is where I live now. I say that because I used to live in Northern NJ, and know Bayonne quite well.

One thing I can say for certain: before you leave, go up Boulevard and order a pizza at San Remo, and savor every bite. That is not going to be an option here.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:58 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,181,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
You are from Bayonne? I'd have to say that there is no place in the U.S. that is more upside down from Bayonne than southern NM, which is where I live now. I say that because I used to live in Northern NJ, and know Bayonne quite well.

One thing I can say for certain: before you leave, go up Boulevard and order a pizza at San Remo, and savor every bite. That is not going to be an option here.
I think someone making a good East Coast pie could do very, very well in Las Cruces. Jeez, the pizzas are second rate in LC. So is the Chinese food, while I'm whining.....

Old 06-09-2008, 09:12 AM

9,378 posts, read 20,814,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
I think someone making a good East Coast pie could do very, very well in Las Cruces. Jeez, the pizzas are second rate in LC. So is the Chinese food, while I'm whining.....
Tecpatl, do you think it has something to do with the water content here? That's what I always hear when it comes to not being able to construct properly a Neopolitan-based thin crust pie here. I have no idea, since I've never baked a pizza before. In any event, Dion's is about the best of a very unimpressive lot.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:47 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,609,958 times
You can certainly live off the grid in New Mexico. Watch the documentary, Off the Grid: Life On The Mesa.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post

Unfortunately Bayonne is on a steady decline with no signs of getting better. Anyway, any particular towns down in southern NM that stand out? Right now my only means of investigation is google (and here) so the more information I can get, the better hehe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico