Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 11:51 AM

979 posts, read 537,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
There is another thread that got me reflecting on this one, and it's about the culture of New Mexico. The people of NM tend to be humble, we do not like to flaunt ourselves as some other states do. And this is possibly also at the core of why we rank so low on different scales of "success" compared to other states.

In local parlance, to be "creído" or to say of someone "se cree" points out a sin, to believe oneself to be superior to others. Those who do will quickly be put in their place. This is the antithesis of the competitive nature of the rest of the country where it's "everyone for themselves", striving to be better than others, to get an "edge" over the competitors. The "Protestant work ethic" was never part of New Mexico culture until Protestants came, and started punishing Native Americans and Hispanos, forcing them to speak English, cutting off their hair, and beating them into submission. Needless to say that didn't go over well.

So we seem like underachievers compared to the rest of the country, but that's the measuring stick the rest of the country uses. Maybe we are better at cooperation and caring than competition, which doesn't get the attention it deserves.
That is the New Mexico I grew up in. But now, living in Albuquerque I have encountered immigrants (from the midwest and east, not another "country") who want to tell me how to pronounce the place names and street names, they have no roots here and usually complain constantly. I am complaining now (and I realize I have complained about this before). I think areas of Texas are also experiencing this, the trampling of our culture and the attempt to make us wrong when they know nothing about us. I understand it happening in certain areas in Texas, the land of golden paved streets and plethora of well paying jobs. I don't understand why anyone who hates the culture and desert moves here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2023, 07:33 AM

11,004 posts, read 6,865,758 times
We had the same thing when I was growing up in Southern California in the 50s and 60s. I cringe now when I think of how we mispronounced those Spanish words, especially a particular one in my hometown and a town nearby. When I try to pronounce both words correctly it sounds really strange and I do believe no one from my hometown would know what I'm talking about!

It's true that no matter where we live we must accept the place, warts and all. I will never forget my time in New Mexico. It is a really special and yes tragic place, but it's also an amazing place as well. That's life: both Triumph and Tragedy. New Mexico certainly is an extreme example of both.

Old 06-07-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayna2 View Post
California is far big from New Mexico and has more tourists attractions as compare to it. Although New Mexico is a cheaper destination then California. But New Mexico has a significant problems with roads and infrastructures. It is very hot had extreme summer conditions though with zero managements, poor schools as well and the major issue may the growing crime rate of New Mexico.
As for big, California has a much larger population, more cities, etc. and I agree it is more expensive to visit California, but New Mexico crime rate is not growing any faster than any other state and it is less than places like Delaware and California and Chicago. The myth that New Mexica has a high crime rate, even per capita is wrong. Look it up. Yes, if you leave a purse or suitcase in your car you will loose it and have a broken window and yes murders have trippled in the last few years, (but that is 120 instead of 20, no other city has had a static murder rate in the last few years).

If you live in New Mexico and think the crime rate is high then you need to move to a different neighborhood.

Look up Wilmington,DE they have more murders than NY city and the population is less than 75,000. But it is a nice place to visit as long as you stay out of one certain neighborhood.

Old 06-08-2023, 10:43 PM

511 posts, read 625,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
That is the New Mexico I grew up in. But now, living in Albuquerque I have encountered immigrants (from the midwest and east, not another "country") who want to tell me how to pronounce the place names and street names, they have no roots here and usually complain constantly. I am complaining now (and I realize I have complained about this before). I think areas of Texas are also experiencing this, the trampling of our culture and the attempt to make us wrong when they know nothing about us. I understand it happening in certain areas in Texas, the land of golden paved streets and plethora of well paying jobs. I don't understand why anyone who hates the culture and desert moves here.
I've been here a year now. I live just above Juan Tabo. When talking to our neighbors soon after arrival, I asked for confirmations on directions, starting out, 'So I go down Menaul, take a left on Juan Tabo..." I didn't get any further because both immediately corrected me, saying, "It's Wontebow" one flowing word that sounded like one long syllable.

Huh?

So I started asking workers in stores who seemed open if they were native Spanish speakers, those who looked like they might be. Many were and were happy to help.

Every one I asked was so nice when I wrote out "Juan Tabo" and asked them to please read that out loud to me. It didn't sound like Wontebow. Not even slightly. But then when I told them, "I THOUGHT that's how you say it in Spanish!" and explained why, they told me they also pronounced the street name "wontebow," too.

I am likely always going to sound like a transplant because I don't know if I'm ever going to be able to mangle saying Juan Tabo to that degree. I keep trying, but I'm not having a great deal of success yet.

Old 06-13-2023, 08:02 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,407,431 times
It's a mystery who Juan Tabo was, and how he pronounced his name, although I would wager it's not an accident that the street name is pronounced the way it is. Was the surname of Spanish or Indian origin? There doesn't seem to be anybody in New Mexico with that surname. Even in Wikipedia, there is only one person with the surname, a Uruguayan soccer player, Christian Tabó. The canyon in the Sandias named after the mystery man may have originally been Juan Taboso, which later was shortened to Tabo. The stress is always on the second syllable of Tabo in local parlance. Is that where your beef lies?

You may have fallen for hypercorrection-- where an attempt to be correct leads to an incorrect result.

My pharmacy is on Juan Tabo Blvd., and when the automated voice calls me, it puts the stress on the first syllable because it doesn't know better.

Old 06-13-2023, 08:09 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,407,431 times
According to city-data, New Mexico has only four cities with over 50,000 population.

Compare to Colorado, which has 22, Arizona with 23, and Texas with 76 cities over 50,000.

Another reason we don't get the attention our neighbors get.

Old 06-14-2023, 10:29 AM

16,077 posts, read 10,735,467 times
Quote:
According to city-data, New Mexico has only four cities with over 50,000 population.

Compare to Colorado, which has 22, Arizona with 23, and Texas with 76 cities over 50,000.

Another reason we don't get the attention our neighbors get.
That's true. But what wonderful cities those are. Roswell is number five (at 48k) and it has quite a reputation of its own. The Farmington Metro area cluster has 120k.

Colorado has almost three times the population of NM. I think less is more.
Never mind Texas and Arizona.

Old 06-14-2023, 05:35 PM

Quote:
It's a mystery who Juan Tabo was, and how he pronounced his name, although I would wager it's not an accident that the street name is pronounced the way it is. Was the surname of Spanish or Indian origin? There doesn't seem to be anybody in New Mexico with that surname. Even in Wikipedia, there is only one person with the surname, a Uruguayan soccer player, Christian Tabó. The canyon in the Sandias named after the mystery man may have originally been Juan Taboso, which later was shortened to Tabo. The stress is always on the second syllable of Tabo in local parlance. Is that where your beef lies?

You may have fallen for hypercorrection-- where an attempt to be correct leads to an incorrect result.

My pharmacy is on Juan Tabo Blvd., and when the automated voice calls me, it puts the stress on the first syllable because it doesn't know better.
I don't think Juan Tabo is anyone's name. Juan is a name but ta bo in spanish translates to this will be. Not sure that is it either as it does not make sense so there is probably another reason for the name, and since Juan is spanish then tabo is pronounced as if it spanish. May even be a mispelling of something. The history would be who named that street, an east coast developer, a city council made up of gringos, or someone else? Your suggestion does make more senses. Juan Taboso shortened.

Old 06-14-2023, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
I've been here a year now. I live just above Juan Tabo. When talking to our neighbors soon after arrival, I asked for confirmations on directions, starting out, 'So I go down Menaul, take a left on Juan Tabo..." I didn't get any further because both immediately corrected me, saying, "It's Wontebow" one flowing word that sounded like one long syllable.

Huh?

So I started asking workers in stores who seemed open if they were native Spanish speakers, those who looked like they might be. Many were and were happy to help.

Every one I asked was so nice when I wrote out "Juan Tabo" and asked them to please read that out loud to me. It didn't sound like Wontebow. Not even slightly. But then when I told them, "I THOUGHT that's how you say it in Spanish!" and explained why, they told me they also pronounced the street name "wontebow," too.

I am likely always going to sound like a transplant because I don't know if I'm ever going to be able to mangle saying Juan Tabo to that degree. I keep trying, but I'm not having a great deal of success yet.
To the english speaking ear the pronunciation of Juan Tabo does sound like wontabow, Juan (J is H sound in spanish) and Tabo, it sounds like one word but it isn't really if you listen carefully. I won't complain if you say Juan Tabo, and most people will know what you mean. It is appreciated when someone moves here and asks how to pronounce a street or place name they are unfamiliar with.

Old 06-14-2023, 05:49 PM

I grew up in and around Albuquerque, my younger years in Placitas where only the young people spoke english. The spanish that was spoken was old conquistador spanish, so they used english words for things like truck, car, telephone, etc. In high school I took spanish (4 years) and when I was in the army I was stationed at Fort Gordon, GA. The nearest town is Augusta and they have a lot of spanish names for streets and even a town named Martinez becuase the spaniards were there first, but they are long gone. I needed to go to a shop on Buena Vista street but I had trouble finding it so I stopped to ask directions. Several people I asked had no idea what I was talking about. Finally I showed someone the address written down, and she said, "OH! you mean Buuuna Vistah street", and gave me directions. (I pronounced it Bwena Veesta) I was still confused for a few minutes then realized I was stupid and had not been able to understand what they were talking about. Also, when someone mentioned Martin-ez town I had to look it up and luahged because I pronounced it differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico