Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 01:18 PM

10 posts, read 41,496 times

Advertisements

Considering moving to Farmington from Idaho. Why? To make a nice profit on the sale of our house as the ID real estate market is red hot, and to live in warmer, sunnier climate. I realize Farmington is also cold in the winter, though not as cold as ID and far more winter sun. I'm aware of the high crime statistics in Farmington and I've read the many threads on the area. I'm looking for feedback specific to the suitability of retiring in the area, e.g., the availability of quality health care services, safest areas of town or nearby areas, and experience of others who have retired in the area or locals who have retired? I visited Farmington this past fall and liked the area, particularly the region. My biggest concern is the extremely high crime stats, I've look at those numbers in detail.

My preference is to relocate to Alamogordo: much warmer, safer, smaller but not sure of the ability to buy there yet as the few houses that come on the market there sell fast! I've just made contact w/a realtor there. Farmington is a potential back-up plan. I've researched all other cities in NM (& have visited many) and have no interest in any except the two mentioned here.

I'll appreciate any information anyone can provide re Farmington as a retirement locale, pros/cons, etc.?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 10:04 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,506,894 times
How important is medical care at this point in your life?

Old 01-05-2022, 10:40 AM

45 posts, read 44,405 times
I don't know much about Farmington. I love it here in New Mexico (live near Albuquerque). What I do know is that Farmington has one of the best golf courses that I have ever played. That would be a good motivator for me to retire there.

Old 01-09-2022, 06:38 PM

19 posts, read 14,505 times
OP, you might look at Reddit for some input:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NewMexico/c...in_alamogordo/

https://www.reddit.com/r/NewMexico/c...in_farmington/

Old 01-10-2022, 02:39 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
I don't know much about Farmington either. A FB friend from high school lives east of Bloomfield (Alcatraz) on the waterfront facing the San Juan River and seems to enjoy it. Her dog has a blast playing in the river. Aztec strikes me as a nicer place to live than Farmington but it is just an impression from driving through the towns. The big advantage to me is that you would be close to Navajo State Park and to Durango and southern Colorado (Mesa Verde, Silverton, Pagosa Springs, etc.) in the warmer months for getaways but not have all that snow and high housing costs. Durango gets 70" or more of annual snowfall while Farmington gets about 12". I do not see the attraction of hot Alamogordo. IMO northern NM is just so much more appealing in terms of being close to nice places to visit in NM and in the surrounding states.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 01-10-2022 at 02:54 PM..

Old 01-11-2022, 12:35 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
I spent a few days in Farmington for a conference several years ago. There was nothing there that made me want to go back. I couldn't imagine living there in retirement, I would feel too isolated. It is certainly not a "retirement destination" for anyone I've ever met.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:15 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
It is an oil refinery town, and provides support to the oilfields. I've driven through Farmington several times, but not stayed/lived there. The chamber of commerce and city fathers can post lots of pretty pictures of downtown and cherry-picked houses, but there is nothing pretty about an oil refinery or businesses that sell pipe, drill units, or support those businesses. You should definitely visit there and the area around it. Shiprock, NM is just down the road and may open your eyes to the area too.

Old 01-13-2022, 10:21 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Visit it, multiple times, at different times of the year.

It is not pretty overall, having developed in what looks like anything-goes fashion. Common in this part of the country, not just Farmington or NM!!!!!

You are focused so much on price that you’re vulnerable to not seeing the tradeoffs for lower prices.

Old 01-28-2022, 09:06 AM

10 posts, read 41,496 times
Default Farmington

I appreciate the feedback many provided, thank you. Rich, medical care not a concern at this time, just envisioning the need years down the road.

Old 01-30-2022, 06:26 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
The usual "retirement destinations" in New Mexico are Santa Fe, Rio Rancho, Las Cruces, Ruidoso, Albuquerque, and sometimes T or C (Elephant Butte), Taos, Alamogordo, and Deming. I've never heard anyone ever utter the words "My dream is to retire in Farmington." But I think you should do it, sounds like you march to a different drummer, which is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico