Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 08:40 PM

78 posts, read 108,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Dreamer View Post
The water issues are for Silver City Idaho... NOT New Mexico...

I was curious as to why a Boise station was covering this.. :-)
I guess I had mistakenly connected the identical city names with the intense mining in Grant County, though given Grant's size the mines are probably too many miles away to threaten Silver City's water supply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm from sea level (Bay Area & Seattle), and have had no breathing issues at over 7000 feet, in Santa Fe. Nor at 9000+ feet at the SF ski basin.

The current situation is fairly irrelevant. You need to know what conditions will look like in 10, 20 and 30 years. You may find, that the better approach would be to figure out which locations will have water and lower fire risk between now and 2050, and then look at those areas more in detail vis-a-vis your other criteria, rather than visa-versa.

RE: Taos Co.; it's already in water shortage. One community there is surviving on bottled water. Their water supply ran out some weeks ago. This surprised me, because Taos always looked like it had a fairly plentiful water supply, so, go figure. In any case, I had to cross it off my list. Taos' fires are in the wooded areas, btw. There are plenty of properties on open land, and the more affordable ones are south of Taos, in Ranchos de Taos.

More than actual fire risk on any property you might buy, the concern would be more about smoke from fires elsewhere. Though I know someone living in the next county south of Taos, who said he didn't get any smoke from the Taos Co. fire this fall. Still, it's something to keep in mind.

After you research all this stuff, you may come to the conclusion, that there's no place to run, no place to hide from the effects of climate change, so it's more a matter of choosing which effects can live with or figure out work-arounds to, and which you need to avoid to the extent possible.
Glad to hear that you’ve had no health issues with high altitudes.

With all the above references, it’s strange how you got the impression that my evaluation of possible retirement locales was not strongly influenced by a very deep awareness of the extent and rapidity of climate change-and where in virtually all western states (even into Alberta and BC) the impact of which will immensely multiply the frequency and size of wildfires and droughts. And if somehow seemed to dwell on state of current climatic and geophysical conditions it’s only because much of the fire prone west will become even more so-just as the Susquehanna, Mohawk and Hudson rivers in NY will flood more dangerously from ocean level rise. Furthermore, how those growing environmental threats deter both short and even long term investment and may thus continue keeping most parts of NM devoid of the kind of health care, crime prevention, reliable utilities and other vital services many other states enjoy. But next to the COVID exoduses that have largely destroyed my chances of buying or building a desirable house away from flood prone rivers and lakes in upstate NY, the only thing more devastating to my plans than climate change is the last 25 years of bi-partisan mandated over immigration (of ALL ethnicities, ages, economic classes and skill levels), and where Biden’s crew will finish the job of virtually pricing me out of where and what house I would want and could otherwise afford.

Meanwhile, I have neither the time nor money to start looking to buy or build anything for another two years. Ideally, if I couldn’t find a home in the right county and near the part of town designed like those gorgeous adobes I saw for sale in Tucson early last year, I’d to turn a reputable (???) builder either clone one on ~1/3 acre or build a 2500 sq ft one story brick or adobe ranch with just a few big rooms, vaulted ceilings, small kitchen, detached garage and not much else. By long before then waves more immigrants will likely drive home and land prices up even further. So even if I could qualify for a reverse mortgage, I could very likely be finished before long before I can even start.

Speaking of Tucson, anywhere in AZ is another heart break; so many beautiful landscapes totally out of reach. While substantially more affluent than many parts of NM, Tucson suburbs are not much cooler than those around Phx, and as developers (like here on Long Island) can pretty much build as much as they want anywhere, droughts and wildfires will grow more frequent, more intense and last longer and population and human activity increases. One major AZ builder plainly said there will be water but it will cost more. That could be an understatement if water shortages become so bad that Pima and/or Maricopa are ever forced to subsidize schemes like building a massive pipeline across Pima to that small gulf bordering Mexico. And even splitting the cost of building and maintaining the pipeline, not only may they likely have to pay use fees to Mexico but the ocean water would have to be almost continually pumped and desalinated, a very expensive process and which also generates CO2 and heat emissions. As for the rest of AZ, from what I’ve seen north of Maricopa, you don’t get much for your money for homes selling in Yucapai and Coconino counties.

Yes, there are some very beautiful areas throughout NM res lands, and I believe one can gain fee simple title to some of it. But how much res land is hooked up to major power grids, have wifi access. are reasonably close to major supermarkets, have reputable medical/dental groups, accredited medical compounding pharmacies, HVAC and auto repair? How bad is crime on most res lands where even electrified barbed wire fences may not stop drug crazed burglars? How much crime prevention could homeowners like me expect from a res Sheriff’s department?

The Inconvenient Truth, the Last Taboo topic that no politician, business exec, church, teacher, parent wants to hear is that this Earth and every living thing on it cannot sustain >>100 million more humans every year since the early 60s, a declining death rate and modes of consumption and productivity of present magnitudes without devastating and essentially irreversible consequences. Globalized over population is the hottest fuel driving climate change, as more than anything else it increases CO2 output while paving over CO2 consuming green space, obliterating biodiversity and accelerating species extinction. Likewise, soaring human numbers suppress real wages while driving up the cost and down the quantity and quality of every basic human necessity.

Taos is another sad story. A Taos county planner said that Taos city is the only shopping hub. He said you can currently by affordable land 15 miles or so from the city, but it’s all totally off he grid; no power, police, sanitation. And you better not buy land that’s near any river if you plan to drill for water because it’s illegal to cut into that water supply.

Then I considered options like what NM geologists call the Albuquerque Basin, where Los Lunas (like crime infested Belen Socorro) may not be as susceptible to wildfires being at least 30 miles from tree dense mountain ranges, presumably allowing Fire departments and the Feds enough time to quash much of the blazes before they hit populated areas.

Los Lunas is growing fast but most of it are housing starts, while there’s no where near a sustainably diversified local economy to support provide quality medical/dental care, compounding pharmacies and other services. Search “crime Los Lunas” at Youtube or check out a US NEWS report see that the “bad” section of LL is really bad. No right-minded person would buy a ~ $400K home there until the town can afford to hire more cops, since I’d probably never get a permit for electrified fencing if the lot and/or the home’s setback were too small. Rio Rancho, ABQ, LL, and Belen Socorro are all on a fault line, and while most quakes have been small (like the 2009 quake in LL), NM planners are expecting a 7.0 quake to hit ABQ in the not especially distant future, 35 miles from LL and about 15 miles from RR.

As I lamented above, Grant County too suffers a badly uncertain future by relying on essentially one single economic sector. If those mines merely downsize, Silver City could become a ghost town within months. The long time editor of a local newspaper there said everyone lives in fear over this and County officials have never done more than talk about it, while crime and teenage pregnant rates are among NM’s highest. But why should Grant politicians be any different than federal legislators who stood by for decades while trillions in capital flew out of the US into NAFTA friendly overseas tax havens and outsourcing businesses that destroyed entire industries here? And when the mining companies are done with Grant its Commissioners will quietly retire, move to some upscale Las Cruces or Los Alamos neighborhood or away to some low tax but richer state and happily live off their pensions other perks.

The latest place I thought I found that might have offered a good chunk of what I need was suggested by a friend here; Fremont County in south central CO. There’s reasonable economic stability and affordable land there-and which does indeed resemble some of the terrain I was pleased to find in NM. It was only when I bumped into a NY Times report did I find that 13 prisons and a Supermax are Fremont’s main benefactor. Depending on proximity of these prisons, the 50 escapes in the last 45 years, the quality of basic services, wildfire frequency, available flood safe land, I really don’t know. Do you?

I’ve spent at least the last two years scouring even the most remotely desirable of states and hundreds of counties and towns, scrutinizing each against my criteria. A year ago I had reason for hope but that glimmer of optimism vaporized with COVID and the Biden/AOC agenda. Like human driven climate change, I am powerless to escape that combined destructiveness against my future. I’m all but resigned to accept that most of the west is for the young who can rebound after one or two big losses or the wealthy who can have doctors and pharmacists flown in and custom drone delivered food service to fly in fresh produce (I live off large homemade salads for essential B vitamins), et al.

All I can do is to reexamine my options two years from now. But for now I need to involve myself with addressing other concerns and completing long overdue projects.

Old 01-31-2021, 10:14 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
You could take a look at Archuleta County, CO, where Pagosa Springs is located. Just a thought.

This is about all I can bite off and chew, for the moment.
Quote:
Yes, there are some very beautiful areas throughout NM res lands, and I believe one can gain fee simple title to some of it. But how much res land is hooked up to major power grids, have wifi access. are reasonably close to major supermarkets, have reputable medical/dental groups, accredited medical compounding pharmacies, HVAC and auto repair? How bad is crime on most res lands where even electrified barbed wire fences may not stop drug crazed burglars? How much crime prevention could homeowners like me expect from a res Sheriff’s department?
How much Rez land is hooked up to major power grids? Seriously? You don't know much about NM, do you? Quite a few Rez's are just outside Santa Fe and Albuquerque. They have plenty of utility service. And didn't I mention, that some of the Los Alamos scientists and engineers live on Rez land? They wouldn't do that, if there weren't adequate internet, etc. Drug-crazed burglars?! Where are you getting this stuff? Your imagination is running amok. They have their own police forces, you know. And there's always state police, not to mention the BIA police. I knew one of the BIA cops; he took his job very seriously. I've worked on a couple of Rez's. Great places to work. Good people. Grocery stores, pharmacies, a hardware store here and there, they have the basics. Not to worry.

I know you're probably unlikely to consider Rez-based RE, but I just had to respond to your misconceptions.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You could take a look at Archuleta County, CO, where Pagosa Springs is located. Just a thought.

How much Rez land is hooked up to major power grids? Seriously? You don't know much about NM, do you? Quite a few Rez's are just outside Santa Fe and Albuquerque. They have plenty of utility service. And didn't I mention, that some of the Los Alamos scientists and engineers live on Rez land? They wouldn't do that, if there weren't adequate internet, etc. Drug-crazed burglars?! Where are you getting this stuff? Your imagination is running amok. They have their own police forces, you know. And there's always state police, not to mention the BIA police. I knew one of the BIA cops; he took his job very seriously. I've worked on a couple of Rez's. Great places to work. Good people. Grocery stores, pharmacies, a hardware store here and there, they have the basics. Not to worry.

I know you're probably unlikely to consider Rez-based RE, but I just had to respond to your misconceptions.
If I didn’t say here I know that I’ve mentioned in other threads that I’ve only flown twice in my life; once to Denver to live for 13 months in a research hospital for asthmatic kids when I was 14. While there I visited with relatives who just happened to live in CO Springs. I’ve met so many amazing people at online forums it’s sad that I’m too scared of flying to ever visit them. So most of what I learned about places that I may want to retire to is from what I have reason to believe are reliable public and private news sources, and from individuals who I can only presume are good natured and want to help. As I said earlier two years from now I should know if it’s to be upstate NY, somewhere west of TX or remain stashed away in this Long Island co-op. In any case, however much terrified, in two years or sooner I will be making at least one trip to NM, following what would have to be a fairly small and strictly mapped itinerary.

I never claimed to be an expert on NM, but I have sourced vital info stats from many who are experts. Of course nothing is perfect, but federal law enforcement, health and economic data sources consistently point to NM as being among the top states with the highest crime and recidivism rates
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...e-us-by-state/
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/s...y/homicide.htm , the poorest overall heath care and public education quality and student performance levels
https://www.ahrq.gov/data/infographi...pare-text.html
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/new-m...b0fd5c73c7e776

and among the lowest for economic diversity and stability.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...nkings/economy

USNews also compares such data sets between counties.
https://www.usnews.com/news/healthiest-communities/data-explorer#{%22mode%22:%22compare%22,%22year%22:2020 ,%22counties%22:[35017,36059],%22axes%22:{}}

Again, I only flew twice and cross country traveling by road or rail is not an option with my age and work schedule, so I’ve never been anywhere but once upstate, PA and NJ a few times and that one trip to Denver. But if many, perhaps most, res land have reliable electrification and wifi access, well equipped fire departments (!!) and garbage collection then I happily stand corrected.

Res land prices and building costs might allow me to build my house within 15 miles or so of a Santa Fe or ABQ pharmacy. But it needs to be a compounding pharmacy-one with the budget to order less than common ingredients in some quantities AND can store them at the correct temps, or they become useless. Do you think most res pharmacists have pursued accreditation https://www.achc.org/compounding-pharmacy.html and have facilities like this, even on a small scale? https://www.towntotalcompound.com/ While currently in good health, I have a pituitary imbalance and will need to be hospitalized if long without properly prepared meds. There’s likely at least one such pharmacy in Santa Fe and/or ABQ. But how do go to pick up my meds there without a good chance of my car getting stolen? Or how much extra to deliver my meds across that distance in fridge bags which would unlikely stay cold long enough on a NM day, if the pharmacy even offers that service?

I make most of my own food but I will not do well at all without a supermarket like Walmart or Albertsons, selling frozen veggies, Gorton’s fish sticks, wide variety of fresh produce, pom juice, egg whites, snacks, et al. If none of these things were an issue for me res land could be a great option. However, while most BLM and state cops may be well trained and have the right instincts and attitude, their numbers may well be simply be too thin to stop many crimes before they happen. I've little doubt that many res folk are as hospitable and honorable as I could expect of anyone. But given the above crime stats for NM in general, electrified fencing is an absolutely essential precaution, assuming I could get a permit for it.

As for those from Los Alamos living on res land, I could be wrong but they were likely way younger than me and/or not in need of specializing meds. And how likely would any of them be looking to install $$$$$ home theater gear in their res land digs, whether or not they took care to have it heavily insured against theft, fire, floods, et al? Probably none as virtually all of them eventually moved back to Los Alamos. Unlike at least some from there (and many who probably post here) I certainly won’t ever have the income to buy a 2nd home, like my sister and her husband have down in Fort Meyers, FL. In fact, in addition to overimmigration, the COVID exoduses and climate change it’s the explosion of second home sales which are further killing my chances to afford to buy or build. So I have to get it all right the first time especially if (heaven forbid) I need to get even a small reverse mortgage. Then no matter what it could be all but impossible to ever move again without incurring substantial losses that could easily cripple my retirement income for years.

And as for crime off res land, I’m certainly not “imagining” that places like ABQ, Gallup, Framington, Belen, and substantial areas in Rio Rancho, Santa Fe, Silver City and Los Lunas continue to be badly hit by all manner of crime. Go to youtube and search [ crime los lunas, nm] and see for yourself. There have been dips in the crime rates over time, but overall the burglary, drug related and violent crime rates are NOT low in any of these towns, as indicated by the above sources. Those are the numbers, not anyone’s imagination running amok! If only it were otherwise, in which case NM towns would attracting considerably more commercial investment, create more and better jobs and provide for noticeably improved living standards. Get the idea? But like Tucson, while ABQ and Santa Fe are reasonably well capitalized cities they’ve been so plagued by crime that the FBI were recently called in to do a two year sweep. So what does that say about the attitude and/or capacities of the police, judicial and prison systems to reduce crime rates to levels approaching most other states? Again, I’m just citing the numbers; it hardly helps me to be manufacturing imaginary dangers.

To rather state the obvious, those counties which are well capitalized will accordingly afford to have ample police presence, relatively low unemployment and high economic diversity, higher public education standards and spending, lower eviction and foreclosure rates and other hospitable conditions. Unfortunately, for all of its beauty, the Land of Enchantment never had the environmental, geological, sociological and other advantages remotely conducive to investment levels comparable to those enjoyed by many other states, certainly far less so than in much of eastern CO or even where I live in Nassau County, NY.

Use this tool and compare living standards in the best counties you’ve lived in with most counties in NM. I don’t think anyone’s fudging those numbers. https://www.usnews.com/news/healthiest-communities/data-explorer#{%22mode%22:%22compare%22,%22year%22:2020 ,%22counties%22:[35017,36059],%22axes%22:{}}

Ironically, disasters like COVID will likely drive investors from more urbanized regions into select parts of “up and coming” NM towns like Rio Rancho and elsewhere in Sandoval county, Los Lunas and places not too far from the bigger towns. Maybe even Silver City and towns bordering res lands. But much of those changes will likely happen too long from now to do me much good. Again, I will have to check to see how things change in two years.

As for most of northern CO east of the Rockies, despite the wonderfully low property taxes (especially for those over 65) you don’t get much for your money.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...sqft-2000-2500 And there’s no land from 0.25 to 1 acre for sale, implying that “unimproved” land is very expensive. My brother has been living and working in CO since the early 80s; all he has to show for it is a tiny ranch house in Loveland. Pass…. Those few homes above in my price range waste all kinds of space with too many tiny rooms and the usual big ass kitchen; useless for a home theater enthusiast. I need a 25 to 30 ft long living room for my main music system (no TV) and a ~ 13 x 20 master bedroom for my TV and surround sound system. And one or two other rooms about that size for a gym for me and my cat. All must have vaulted ceilings. That’s why I want to build my simple one story ranch house, but prices on land out of harm’s way and within driving distance of quality goods and services and/or building costs will probably make it all impossible in any desirable part of CO.

And then there’s the usual dangers in these parts of the country.
https://krdo.com/news/2020/06/21/cre...-springs-area/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIfey_qQQLU A real shame; those landscapes about as nice as I’ve seen in NM. But even if it wasn’t prone to lightening induced fires, if it wasn’t res land, in a flood or sinkhole zone or way too far from goods and services I could never afford any such land in CO. Thanks for trying to help.

Last edited by Longislandmire; 02-01-2021 at 08:20 PM..

Old 02-01-2021, 08:09 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,475,440 times
Long...,
We all get it that you're a very cautious person. This is fine to a point, but I (and I expect others on this forum) think you are timid to the point of unreasonableness. Some of the folks here continue to try to explain why things aren't as bad as you are viewing them. Others like Ruth above are concerned your lengthy criticisms are spreading disinformation.

You're citing all the stats and so-called experts, but not really listening to the folks that live or have lived in the areas you're looking at. Every time one of them tries to tell you something based on their actual experiences, you try to bury them with arguments that don't match the reality they have experienced.

Why are you continuing? Clearly you've decided NM won't work for you. No need to continue to try to bury us with your opinions.

Old 02-01-2021, 08:16 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longislandmire View Post
If I didn’t say here I know that I’ve mentioned in other threads that I’ve only flown twice in my life; once to Denver to live for 13 months in a research hospital for asthmatic kids when I was 14. While there I visited with relatives who just happened to live in CO Springs. I’ve met so many amazing people at online forums it’s sad that I’m too scared of flying to ever visit them. So most of what I learned about places that I may want to retire to is from what I have reason to believe are reliable public and private news sources, and from individuals who I can only presume are good natured and want to help. As I said earlier two years from now I should know if it’s to be upstate NY, somewhere west of TX or remain stashed away in this Long Island co-op. In any case, however much terrified, in two years or sooner I will be making at least one trip to NM, following what would have to be a fairly small and strictly mapped itinerary.

I never claimed to be an expert on NM, but I have sourced vital info stats from many who experts. Of course nothing is perfect, but federal law enforcement, health and economic data sources consistently point to NM as being among the top states with the highest crime and recidivism rates
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...e-us-by-state/
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/s...y/homicide.htm , the poorest overall heath care and public education quality
https://www.ahrq.gov/data/infographi...pare-text.html
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/new-m...b0fd5c73c7e776

and among the lowest for economic diversity and stability.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...nkings/economy

USNews also compares such data sets between counties.
https://www.usnews.com/news/healthiest-communities/data-explorer#{%22mode%22:%22compare%22,%22year%22:2020 ,%22counties%22:[35017,36059],%22axes%22:{}}

Again, I only flew twice and cross country traveling by road or rail is not an option with my age and work schedule, so I’ve never been anywhere but PA and NJ a few times and that one trip to Denver. But if many, perhaps most, res land have reliable electrification and wifi access, well equipped fire departments (!!) and garbage collection then I happily stand corrected.

Res land prices and building costs might allow me to build my house within 15 miles or so of a Santa Fe
or ABQ pharmacy. But it needs to be a compounding pharmacy-one with the budget to order less than common ingredients in some quantities AND can store them at the correct temps, or they become useless.
Do you think most res pharmacists have pursued accreditation https://www.achc.org/compounding-pharmacy.html and have facilities like this, even on a small scale?
https://www.towntotalcompound.com/ While currently in good health, I have a pituitary imbalance and will
need to be hospitalized if long without properly prepared meds. There’s likely at least one such pharmacy
in Santa Fe and/or ABQ. But how do go to pick up my meds there without a good chance of my car getting stolen? Or how much extra to deliver my meds across that distance in fridge bags which would unlikely stay cold long enough on a NM day, if the pharmacy even offers that service?

I make most of my own food but I will not do well at all without a supermarket like Walmart or Albertsons, selling frozen veggies, Gorton’s fish sticks, wide variety of fresh produce, pom juice, egg whites, snacks, et al. If none of these things were an issue for me res land could be a great option. However, while most BLM and state cops may be well trained and have the right instincts and attitude, their numbers may simple be too thin to stop many crimes before they happen. So given the above crime stats for NM in general, electrified fencing would be an absolutely essential precaution, assuming I could get a permit for it.

As for those from Los Alamos living on res land, I could be wrong but they were likely way younger than me and/or not in need of specializing meds. How likely would any of them be looking to install $$$$$ home theater gear in their res land digs, whether or not they took care to have it heavily insured against theft, floods, et al? Probably none as virtually all of them eventually moved back to Los Alamos. Unlike at least some from there I certainly won’t ever have the income to buy a 2nd home, like my sister and her husband have down in Fort Meyers, FL. In fact, in addition to overimmigration, the COVID exoduses and climate change it’s the explosion in second home sales which are further killing my chances to afford to buy or build. So I have to get it all right the first time especially if (heaven forbid) I need to get even a small reverse mortgage. Then no matter what it could be all but impossible to ever move again without incurring substantial losses that could cripple my retirement income for years.

And as for crime off res land, I’m certainly not “imagining” that places like ABQ, Gallup, Framington, Belen, and substantial areas in Rio Rancho, Santa Fe, Silver City and Los Lunas continue to be badly hit by all manner of crime. Go to youtube and search [ crime los lunas, nm] and see for yourself. There have been dips in the crime rates over time, but overall the burglary, drug related and violent crime rates are NOT low in any of these towns, as indicated by the above sources. Those are the numbers, not anyone’s imagination running amok. If only it were otherwise, in which case it would attract commercial investment, create more and better jobs and provide for better living standards. Get the idea? But like Tucson, while ABQ and Santa Fe are reasonably well capitalized cities they’ve been and were so plagued by crime that the FBI were called in to do a two year sweep. So what does that say about the attitude and/or capacities of the police, judicial and prison systems to reduce crime rates to levels approaching most other states? Again, I’m just citing the numbers; it hardly helps me to be manufacturing imaginary dangers.

To rather state the obvious, those counties which are well capitalized will accordingly afford to have ample police presence, relatively low unemployment and high economic diversity, higher public education standards and spending, lower eviction and foreclosure rates and other hospitable conditions. Unfortunately, for all of its beauty, the Land of Enchantment never had the environmental, geological, sociological and other advantages remotely conducive to investment levels comparable to those enjoyed by many other states, certainly far less so than in much of eastern CO or even where I live in Nassau County, NY.

Use this tool and compare living standards in the best counties you’ve lived in with most counties in NM.
I don’t think anyone’s fudging those numbers.

Ironically, disasters like COVID will likely drive investors from more urbanized regions into select parts of
“up and coming” NM towns like Rio Rancho and elsewhere in Sandoval county, Los Lunas and places not
too far from the bigger towns. Maybe even Silver City and towns bordering res lands. But much of those changes will likely happen too long from now to do me much good. Again, I will have to check to see how things change in two years.

As for most of northern CO east of the Rockies, despite the wonderfully low property taxes (especially for those over 65) you don’t get much for your money.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...sqft-2000-2500 And there’s no land from 0.25 to 1 acre for sale, implying that “unimproved” land is very expensive. My brother has been living and working in CO since the early 80s; all he has to show for it is a tiny ranch house in Loveland. Pass…. Those few homes above in my price range wastes all kinds of space with too many tiny rooms and the usual big ass kitchen; useless for a home theater enthusiast. I need a 25 to 30 ft long living room for my main music system (no TV) and a ~ 13 x 20 master bedroom for my TV and surround sound system. And one or two other rooms about that size for a gym for me and my cat. All must have vaulted ceilings. That’s why I want to build my simple one story ranch house, but prices on land out of harm’s way and within driving distance of quality goods and services and/or building costs will probably make it all impossible.

And then there’s the usual dangers in these parts of the country.
https://krdo.com/news/2020/06/21/cre...-springs-area/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIfey_qQQLU A real shame; those landscapes about as nice as
I’ve seen in NM. But even if it wasn’t prone to lightening induced fires, if it wasn’t res land, in a flood or sinkhole zone or way too far from goods and services I could never afford any such land in CO.
Thanks for trying to help.
I never suggested northern CO. I suggested southern CO. You don't even know which part of CO I was talking about.

OP, you're too high-strung, prejudiced, and fear-prone to live in NM. Forget about the SW. Upstate NY should work for you, if you don't mind occasional winter storms causing power outages to an aging infrastructure.

ABQ has several compounding pharmacies. I haven't checked out the Rez-based one I know of not far from Santa Fe. Santa Fe itself only has 1 compounding Pharmacy left, and it went through a big staff change a few years ago, for the worse. I can't recommend it. But you're not moving to NM anyway, so the question is moot.

And the LA scientists I know living on Rez land are retired, fwiw.

Good luck. You'll need it.

Old 02-01-2021, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
Long...,
We all get it that you're a very cautious person. This is fine to a point, but I (and I expect others on this forum) think you are timid to the point of unreasonableness. Some of the folks here continue to try to explain why things aren't as bad as you are viewing them. Others like Ruth above are concerned your lengthy criticisms are spreading disinformation.

You're citing all the stats and so-called experts, but not really listening to the folks that live or have lived in the areas you're looking at. Every time one of them tries to tell you something based on their actual experiences, you try to bury them with arguments that don't match the reality they have experienced.

Why are you continuing? Clearly you've decided NM won't work for you. No need to continue to try to bury us with your opinions.
First, I was only replying to Ruth’s quoting me, not the other way around. So I was hardly “trolling” or behaving in any abusive, time-wasting or disruptive way. I’m not responsible if some misinterpret what I said or if others mislabel my intentions. And I hate to imagine what Ruth meant saying that I’m prejudiced. That was really hurtful, abusive, shocking and absurd.

Second, as on this thread and anywhere else on this forum, the vast majority of any statements made and questions I’ve put to those here were based on government (NOAA, USGS, FBI, CDC) and other reliable information sources. So if these particular agencies are not known to have spread disinformation, then I can’t see how I could be accused of doing so either. Furthermore, I can’t recall ever proffering as much as a single “opinion” about anything here. Except for my love of western landscapes, sunsets and wildlife, to the best of my knowledge anything I’ve ever said here is based on plain and documented fact; no personal likes, dislikes, fears and so forth.

I do not consider myself to be timid but I’m hardly one to put myself in harm’s way. If I happen to find snakes and scorpions scary, as I think such kinds of poisonous wildlife would especially alarm many old people like me, it’s largely because states like NM and AZ have among the highest snake bite rates. And yes, there’s documented proof of that too-not anyone’s “opinion”. Flying also scares me, in some ways even more so, but I can’t let it get in the way of helping me decide where to live when the time comes, especially if my choices become as limited as they may be. But being fearful is healthy so long as it doesn’t make you powerless or impede your ability to make well informed and livable choices. Of course, no one and nothing perfect; all we can do is our best.

Third, the best I can do to help guide my future retirement housing decisions is to draw what appear to be reasonably accurate conclusions based on more than just a few different sources of data which agreeably correlate, together with as many experiences of those I’ve met here and elsewhere who have lived in these same areas of interest for at least a few years. Honestly, I think I’ve done this quite well. And as I’ve posted here today, based on those findings, there’s at least some hope that a number of conditions may show some real signs of improving when I re-evaluate these communities in two years.

Last edited by Longislandmire; 02-01-2021 at 11:56 PM..

Old 02-03-2021, 12:22 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,451,373 times
Quote:
I do not consider myself to be timid but I’m hardly one to put myself in harm’s way. If I happen to find snakes and scorpions scary, as I think such kinds of poisonous wildlife would especially alarm many old people like me, it’s largely because states like NM and AZ have among the highest snake bite rates.
I have chosen not to engage with this thread and generally share Ruth and rwjoyak's assessment of it, but this comment really seems to get to the heart of the issue with your posts.

Per the CDC, approximately 7 or 8 thousand people are bitten by venomous snakes annually. In a country of 328 million, that puts the probability of this happening to you at roughly two-thousandths of one percent. It's not a reasonable thing to worry a lot about. But yet here we are.

In this as in so many of the other fears voiced in this thread (sinkholes! drug-crazed rez burglars!), your phobias and anxieties lead the way, and you follow up with data solely in hopes of rendering those phobias less far-fetched. It might be a completely different Silver City or a fire on the other side of Colorado, but as long as it happened *somewhere*, to *someone*, you're justified in fretting about it.

I agree with Ruth and rwjoyak...you're not going to move here, or probably any of the other places on your list. You're far too adept at coming up with reasons why you shouldn't, and why it's safer just to stay at home. Perhaps the thought of a new life in New Mexico remains alluring to you at some level, but in my assessment you're much too skilled at talking yourself out of it to ever realistically move forward. Which is all well and good, but given how prolific, long-winded and occasionally misleading the written manifestations of that inner monologue tend to be, perhaps moving them to a venue other than this forum is in order.

Old 02-03-2021, 12:36 PM

138 posts, read 145,434 times
Quote:
If I didn’t say here I know that I’ve mentioned in other threads that I’ve only flown twice in my life; once to Denver to live for 13 months in a research hospital for asthmatic kids when I was 14. While there I visited with relatives who just happened to live in CO Springs. I’ve met so many amazing people at online forums it’s sad that I’m too scared of flying to ever visit them.
Don't feel bad. I'm retired Air Force. I've flown numerous times to and from Asia, Alaska, the middle east, Europe, across the fruited plain. But except for the flight when I was excited to do it for the very first time, I always hated it. I put up with it because I had to and/or it was the only way I'd make it both ways with my time constraints. But I always preferred the road to the sky.

Old 02-06-2021, 05:23 PM

658 posts, read 1,335,167 times
Nothing that long island person researches will be acceptable, what a miserable way to view life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico