Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 12:04 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
Yep, major outbreaks at Zia, San Felipe and Zuni to date, not to mention the extremely sad and scary situation that's still developing on the Navajo Nation. I don't think the failure to start testing early on would surprise anyone who's had much experience with the healthcare systems available to Native folks in this country, unfortunately. I have heard lots of stories about people dying from treatable conditions because they were forced to shuttle between clinics in their communities and clinics in the cities, only to be told they needed to exhaust treatment options in their local clinics first - it's a bad situation.

The Pueblos also have lots of families who live in multigenerational households and lots of people who suffer from the kinds of chronic health concerns - asthma, heart conditions, diabetes, etc. - that apparently increase susceptibility to coronavirus. I think when coupled with the generally tightly-knit nature of Pueblo communities this has aggravated an already bad situation.

Edit: the state just released new data showing that Natives represent more than a third (36.7%) of the coronavirus cases in New Mexico, despite only making up 11% of the state's population. Tragic.
Those look like clusters. The comorbidities listed are known to elevate risks. But what is different about the Pueblo Reservations and Navajo Nation from the Apache Reservations? The latter does not have such clusters (for now). In general, the relatively full-blooded Native Americans have "O" blood which is lower in risk than "A". But most modern Native Americans are part white. In NM, many are part Spanish - even some of the Navajos.

I would presume the limited electricity and utility (clean water), etc. along with dense crowding of multi-generational homes make it more risky. In AZ, the reservations haven't been hit as hard though. The hot spot for AZ is in Phoenix. But relatively speaking, that area isn't as bad as NYC.

I studied epidemiology, and I think the data anylsis from their side has got to be very dynamic with new findings every week about patterns of clusters. This is a major scientific exercise right now with publications that go under peer review journals.

In the meantime, I hope my Pueblo and Navajo friends get through this. I had the best of times with them in HS at Santa Fe. They taught me to enjoy running even though I didn't have their talent for it (usually < 5 min mile at high altitude as teens). Sports Illustrated did an article on Zuni, Acoma and Jemez runners in the past. It's sad that the coronavirus has now hit them with clusters. They are in my prayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 02:20 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,804,405 times
The NM Health Dept has added more coronavirus info to their web site, including cases by zip code.
https://cv.nmhealth.org/

Old 04-18-2020, 04:15 PM
CII

152 posts, read 224,060 times
Don't find cases by zip code jiminnm?

Old 04-18-2020, 05:54 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,804,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CII View Post
Don't find cases by zip code jiminnm?
Click the dashboard (purple box), then check view map by zip code and enter the zip you want to see.

Old 04-18-2020, 07:56 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,452,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Those look like clusters. The comorbidities listed are known to elevate risks. But what is different about the Pueblo Reservations and Navajo Nation from the Apache Reservations? The latter does not have such clusters (for now).
There are very few cases in southern New Mexico in general...Otero County, where the Mescalero Apache Reservation is located, has only three. Both of New Mexico's Apache nations have small populations relative to the Navajo Nation - fewer than 4,000 each - and compared to the Navajos and Pueblos both the Mescalero and Jicarilla reservations tend to be pretty insular and isolated: far fewer people commuting to bigger cities for work, etc. In addition, the Mescalero health authorities started telling people to stay home and avoid leaving the reservation very early in the course of the outbreak.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:24 AM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times
https://www.lcsun-news.com/story/new...ow/5145567002/

LAS CRUCES - Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham announced Wednesday that she had accepted an invitation from the White House to participate in a pilot program with the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention focusing on contact tracing and research into the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus.
New Mexico rates highly among U.S. states for the extent of testing among residents, with a current capacity allowing for 3,500 tests to be completed per day. That capacity is expected to increase as more partners, such as Sandia National Laboratories, provide additional testing capacity to the general public.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:56 PM

70 posts, read 86,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Those look like clusters. The comorbidities listed are known to elevate risks. But what is different about the Pueblo Reservations and Navajo Nation from the Apache Reservations? The latter does not have such clusters (for now). In general, the relatively full-blooded Native Americans have "O" blood which is lower in risk than "A". But most modern Native Americans are part white. In NM, many are part Spanish - even some of the Navajos.

I would presume the limited electricity and utility (clean water), etc. along with dense crowding of multi-generational homes make it more risky. In AZ, the reservations haven't been hit as hard though. The hot spot for AZ is in Phoenix. But relatively speaking, that area isn't as bad as NYC.

I studied epidemiology, and I think the data anylsis from their side has got to be very dynamic with new findings every week about patterns of clusters. This is a major scientific exercise right now with publications that go under peer review journals.

In the meantime, I hope my Pueblo and Navajo friends get through this. I had the best of times with them in HS at Santa Fe. They taught me to enjoy running even though I didn't have their talent for it (usually < 5 min mile at high altitude as teens). Sports Illustrated did an article on Zuni, Acoma and Jemez runners in the past. It's sad that the coronavirus has now hit them with clusters. They are in my prayers.
While I agree with most of what you said, I have to question what is highlighted in red. Coconino County, with a population of 143,000, has recorded 32 deaths which is very high. To put this in perspective, Bernalillo County NM, with a population of roughly 680,000, has reported 31 deaths from Covid-19. There have been 115 deaths in Maricopa County but the population there is 4.31 million, or about 30 times that of Coconino County.

Old 04-25-2020, 01:49 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
https://youtu.be/xfLVxx_lBLU

Watch this video if you have time - these two California doctors give some really good, sound ideas to get the country opened up and why they think it needs to happen sooner than later.

Last edited by elkotronics; 04-25-2020 at 02:10 PM..

Old 04-25-2020, 02:15 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
https://youtu.be/xfLVxx_lBLU

Watch this video if you have time - these two California doctors give some really good, sound ideas to get the country opened up and why they think it needs to happen sooner than later.
In New Mexico, people are foregoing non-essential, non-emergency treatment for conditions other than Covid, because the state government has prohibited people from going to their doctor (and surgeon, etc.) for those conditions, NOT because they fear getting Covid at the doctor's office. ALL health care practitioners in private practice in NM have received orders to cease and desist seeing patients, except for those needing urgent care or care for a chronic condition.

Who are those guys in the video? They never explain who they are. They don't understand, that it's not only about preventing deaths. Counting how many Covid cases died in the hospital doesn't tell us much that's valuable. ICU admissions need to be counted as well; ICU admissions and discharges. How many emergency cases is the pandemic generating, and at what frequency in which locations.

If there are hospitals with empty ICU wards, and with insufficient clientele to keep the hospital going, then state authorities need to relax the rules about refusing non-Covid patients, and non-emergency patients. Hospitals in counties with 0 cases or very few cases can continue operating as normal.

Old 04-25-2020, 02:23 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
How many people here have received your so-called "stimulus checks"? How many have, or know of people who have, been able to access other forms of assistance, besides unemployment? The small business no-interest loans that were discussed, and other support for small businesses, for example. I know people with private health care practices, who haven't been able to get anything; they haven't received even their "stimulus" checks, and they have rent to pay on their office, home mortgage payments to make, and a family to support.

I haven't received a stimulus check, and yes, I filed a tax return last year. What about y'all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico