Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 10:15 AM

35 posts, read 75,869 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Not definitely moving but seriously considering the Southwest.

My wife and I would be looking for the following ...

1) Sun, hot weather all year around.
2) Be able to do things outdoors (walks, bike rides, etc).
3) Family oriented, safety, less crime area is strongly preferred.
4) Bars, night life NOT required, not needed.
5) Would like to be close to shopping, restaurants if possible.
6) Would need jobs (IT Software and RN) so would like to be close to a hospital, newer the better.
7) Would rather be in more of a suburb type/ more space/ less crowded.
8) Have relatives in Ruidoso, so the closer to there the better.

Are there any towns/cities in NM that meet these requirements? Considering the job requirements, would it be advisable to look at/research NM?

Thanks for any responses, appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 10:22 AM

153 posts, read 761,578 times
Warm year round--- you are going to need to stick to the Southern end of the state. Las Cruces or Alamogordo would probably be your best options. They aren't HOT year round but they don't have winters like Abq./Santa Fe. You'd be close to Ruidoso too. Search this site for threads on Las Cruces.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:08 AM

775 posts, read 2,594,906 times
Default Center of N.M.

The East Mountain area and the center of N.M. would be my Preference for renting or renting to own until you find what you are looking for. The East Mountain Telegraph and the Independent can give you an idea about this area. Remember from the Center of N.M. to the Northern part the temps and snowfall can be the same at times. Winters can get to below zero but summers rarely get over 100 and the East Mountain area is close to Santa Fe and Albuquerque. Lots of nice people and a country way of life and small towns and hiking trails in the mountains everywhere. Moriarty is my favorite little town with some good groceries stores and nice schools and crime is not really a problem. pintada kid at webtv dot net

Old 04-18-2008, 11:11 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,193,766 times
LC/Mesilla Valley is not hot all year round....sunny, yes...but some Dec. and Jan. weather can be cold. Think below freezing nights and some days in the 40s for later Dec and most of Jan. Hints of spring show up in mid Feb. I think it's perfect. LC area meets the rest of your needs, though I can't speculate on IT Software jobs here. An RN will find lots of work.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:36 AM

946 posts, read 3,275,530 times
Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
LC/Mesilla Valley is not hot all year round....sunny, yes...but some Dec. and Jan. weather can be cold. Think below freezing nights and some days in the 40s for later Dec and most of Jan. Hints of spring show up in mid Feb. I think it's perfect. LC area meets the rest of your needs, though I can't speculate on IT Software jobs here. An RN will find lots of work.
I have to agree. And I also can't tell you about IT software jobs in LC. If LC doesn't have the job market that you need, then maybe you should consider Arizona or relaxing one or more of your criteria.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:16 PM

35 posts, read 75,869 times
thanks for the replies, very helpful.

even though it's very early in the process, from what I've read so far, it seems Alamogordo would be our fit. (Just me getting an IT job would be the only problem).

Are there any areas in Alamogordo to avoid as far as crime goes?

Thanks !!!

Old 04-19-2008, 07:57 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,731,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowyer07fan View Post
I'd say a trailer park or two......

You might want to contact ''Pre Check'' as they just moved into Alamogordo and i believe they only hire college grads for their type of work.

PreCheck - Investigate Further - Servicing your Credentialing and Background Verification Needs

PreCheck Inc. will bring over 200 new jobs to Alamogordo :: Press Releases :: New Mexico Economic Development Department (http://www.nmpartnership.com/press-releases/article.php?id=1135&title=PreCheck+Inc.+will+bring +over+200+new+jobs+to+Alamogordo - broken link)

Old 04-19-2008, 09:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,928,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowyer07fan View Post
thanks for the replies, very helpful.

even though it's very early in the process, from what I've read so far, it seems Alamogordo would be our fit. (Just me getting an IT job would be the only problem).

Thanks !!!

With IT you could telecommute.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:30 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,432,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
I have to agree. And I also can't tell you about IT software jobs in LC. If LC doesn't have the job market that you need, then maybe you should consider Arizona or relaxing one or more of your criteria.
El Paso is only a 45min drive from Las Cruces, so the software job market should be a bit better if you consider the entire region
Otherwise, LC should fit you perfectly

Old 04-20-2008, 06:03 AM

775 posts, read 2,594,906 times
Default Alamogordo

As for the Crime in Alamogordo i rarely go there anymore but the few times ive gone there the People are very Friendly and i dont think crime is a problem there. The Heat is the Problem but drive 15 miles into Cloudcroft in the Middle of the summer and the temps will be 20 degrees cooler. Rent or Rent to Own before you buy because N.M.has lots of nice little towns with great prices on real estate and the Bargains will soon get better in these real estate and mortgage problems. My preference in Weather its where it rarely gets to 100 degrees in the summer but nights are cool type of area. el pintada kid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico