Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,600 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm thinking of moving to Capitan. I'm specifically looking for a rural area and acreage since i have several dogs and my daughter lives full time in her toyhauler and she too has several dogs.

I read one negative report from a senior who apparently likes to complain. Why would you move to the country and complain about cattle in your neighborhood?

But I do notice that homes stay on the market for months, one of her complaints is you cannot sell your house.

My question, if you live in Capitan, what are your thoughts? Is it safe, would you choose to live there again? Is the water safe to drink, toxic landfills in the area, etc?

Thanks for your help!!

Geri. Boxerluver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 09:53 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geri.boxerluver View Post
Hi, I'm thinking of moving to Capitan. I'm specifically looking for a rural area and acreage since i have several dogs and my daughter lives full time in her toyhauler and she too has several dogs.

I read one negative report from a senior who apparently likes to complain. Why would you move to the country and complain about cattle in your neighborhood?

But I do notice that homes stay on the market for months, one of her complaints is you cannot sell your house.

My question, if you live in Capitan, what are your thoughts? Is it safe, would you choose to live there again? Is the water safe to drink, toxic landfills in the area, etc?

Thanks for your help!!
I have been through Capitan several times over the past 15+ years. I have never lived there. We currently live about 190 miles from Capitan. There are about 18 homes for sale in Capitan. I can imagine homes sales may be slow. I would ignore the "a senior who apparently likes to complain". You really need to visit the area and also look at various other locations in the area.

You might check the Village of Capitan website: Village of Capitan New Mexico

There are four other threads with Capitan in the title:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...g-capitan.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...they-like.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...coln-area.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...they-like.html
Good luck.

We were fortunate that we had been in New Mexico several times over the years to see various parts of New Mexico.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:31 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
Capitan, NM, is the home of Smokey Bear Historical Park. It's very small, we've stopped for pop and snacks several times. It's located in yet another one of New Mexico's beautiful spots. Small and quiet place to live. We've noticed that there's a lot of trailers in it per capita.

Best thing ta do is come out and visit. Prices ought ta be fairly affordable, but resale is probably slow. Depends on what someone else is looking for.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:48 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
I used to live in Capitan but am now living in Branson to be closer to family.

I have a house for sale still. House sales are slow for some reason. It's a rural area and it's a good area to have horses, goats and chickens. There is a donkey about a block over and a couple of roosters that used to wake me up every morning on the nights I slept with the windows open. I miss that now.

I also miss the cooler summers. I used the a/c maybe about 4 times a year. The weather is the most perfect weather I've ever lived in. I enjoy living in Branson but the weather here is hot. Sitting on my front porch in Capitan, listening to music while having a couple of drinks was very relaxing.

It's about 15 miles to Ruidoso and if you're interested in any ski activities, that's between Capitan and Ruidoso.

The water is good from the tap. You don't need bottled water. I don't know of any toxic landfills in the area. As far as cattle are concerned, you can't have cattle for some reason in certain parts of Capitan but in other parts, you can.

It's a very safe place to live. I never locked my doors. My neighborhood, even though in a subdivision was pretty quiet. Very very few sirens. A lot of the people on my block are part timers. If you have small kids, there is a 4 H club. Smokey Bear market is a pretty decent little shopping market and for bigger shopping, go to Walmart in Ruidoso Downs about 20 minutes. Roswell and ALamogordo are about 1 1/2 hours away. We used to travel to one or the other sometimes just for a change.

I met a lot of nice people in Capitan and we remain friends.

I have a house/doublewide for sale if you want information. Send me a private message as I don't think we can give out realtors names or info on here.

You couldn't pick a better rural town. I miss it and my husband misses it but I needed to be closer to my mom.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:26 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:

Capitan is certainly rural, even if you live within the town limits. Outside the town limits, all of the caveats regarding rural living apply. Like utilities that are not supplied by a municipality. The same applies whenever one needs services for something they are not capable of dealing with themselves.

As has been stated, there are a LOT of mobile homes and manufactured homes. Selling any home in the region can be difficult due to the huge number of "second homes" that are being marketed at any given time.

And it's certainly not the kind of place a person should be moving to without thoroughly familiarizing themselves with the area first. Unless one is not bothered by potential misadventures - and is generally mechanically inclined and self sufficient.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:36 PM

356 posts, read 502,436 times
Well for what it is worth the green chile cheeseburger produced by the Oso Grill in Capitan just won first place at the New Mexico State Fair!

Old 09-13-2018, 02:31 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
That is a good place to eat. It's always pretty packed too.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:29 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Bill View Post
Well for what it is worth the green chile cheeseburger produced by the Oso Grill in Capitan just won first place at the New Mexico State Fair!
People's Choice award too! For the 2nd year in a row!!

Quote:
Published 10:19 a.m. MT Sept. 12, 2017 The green chile cheeseburger is a customer favorite at the Oso Grill in Capitan, but when Brian and Pam Cleckler decided to enter the sandwich in the competition at the New Mexico State Fair, they amped up the heat.
The effort paid off and the Clecklers walked away with the People's Choice Award.
The couple opened the restaurant in Capitan in August 2015, but this was the first time they entered any of their sandwiches or other dishes in a competition, Brian Cleckler said Tuesday.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:56 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
My question, if you live in Capitan, what are your thoughts?
I don't live there but pass through a lot. IMO it's a fine town, has plenty of services, and low COL. I definitely wouldn't mind living there. You can find quite a few lots >2 acre that are served by city water.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:25 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
One thing you'll need to keep in mind about living in Capitan is the fact that it's very small and you don't have much for shopping there. Ruidoso is close by, though, and they have a Wal*Mart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico