Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 11:29 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,491,935 times

Advertisements

On Sunday, Sept 17th, an apple harvest festival will be held from 9-3 at the Los Luceros Historic Site in Alcalde. See Los Luceros FREE Harvest Festival part of New Mexico Culture Squared (NMC2) programs :: Department of Cultural Affairs Media Center :: Press Releases. Sounds like an interesting event at a neat location. We've never visited there so will probably attend. And maybe also drive up to Velarde to the road side stands there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 12:42 PM

4 posts, read 4,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
...Also still a place in the Manzano Mountains southeast of Albuquerque, I think...
I just called the Manzano place (Manzano Retreat and Apple Ranch). Hit hard by weather. No cider this year (2017)

Old 09-07-2017, 02:34 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,463,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepzia View Post
I just called the Manzano place (Manzano Retreat and Apple Ranch). Hit hard by weather. No cider this year (2017)
That's true - we had some late freezes and a lot of the apple trees in the mountains never blossomed.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:38 PM

356 posts, read 511,838 times
I just ran up to Cloudcroft this afternoon, and it was almost painful to see the remnants of roadside cider stands and the struggling old apple trees just past Mountain Park. I have to wonder if an enthusiast, in close cooperation with the Extension Service, could find apple varieties that might do reasonably well there, given a surgically installed irrigation system. It seems a tradition worth keeping alive -- and one that might be graciously received if done right. Encountered a heck of a thunder cell downpour on the way back down to Alamo --almost needed to pull over. Felt vulnerable in my little Mitsubishi rental car. Would have felt less so in my F-150, but still humbled.

Last edited by Oregon Bill; 09-08-2017 at 06:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico