Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:08 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times

Advertisements

Hi Davya. Western Colorado guy checking in here. There is good info on all these guys on this thread; I occasionally post on N.M. topics myself. Thereis good info on the New Mexico Dept. Game and Fish website. They just updated it today, infact. It also has the general info you need regardding specific lake regulations, boating restrictions, species limits, etc. Non-resident license for the year is $56. You have the latest report right there-statewide. On the site it was noted this past week that someone pulled out a 19 lb. striper, out of Elephant Butte Reservoir. Also noted that high levels of DDT have been discovered at Brantley Reservoir,and the game and fish people are limiting it to catch and release until further notice. I'll give you my POSITIVE take on relocating to N.M. in a bit-my neighbor is relocating me to her driveway to help change a tire!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 08:39 PM

In '82 I worked on a Colo./New Mexico pipeline where we set up our work yard in Walsenburg, Colo., then Raton, then Tucumcari. Some of the soon to be retired welders, laborers, and a couple company hands came back years later, bought property, and retired in New Mexico. Raton's climate is comparable to Colorado Springs; elevation 6300 ft. or so, has four seasons, can snow pretty good. Tucumcari's climate is close to Grand Junction (where I live), as is the elevation (4200 ft. or so.)-doesn't snow very often but does get a few storms in the winter. Nothing like Colorado's front range, though. Both towns had friendly townspeople, IMHO. In regards to affordability of housing, you have that in both towns. Clayton also. Clayton is maybe a third of the size of Raton about 90 miles east of Raton. BTW, the fishing report mentioned that Clayton Lake has just reopened for the season March 1st.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:12 AM

The best way to really scope out the situation is spend a week, maybe two weeks, in the state. Raton has a dozen or so mom and pop motels on both ends of the business loop. Tucumcari has a LOT of motels. It is a classic old Route 66 town and the rooms are very affordable. Recommend Del's Diner for eats. Ute Reservoir is maybe 25 miles NE, and Conchas Reservoir 30 miles NW. Tucumcari's paper is the Quay County Sun.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:10 PM

33 posts, read 158,637 times
Do not move here to fish I'm warning you now....
I moved here from Northern California and was expecting at lease some activity. yes you can go to silver falls, or even Santa Fe area, but you'll be disappointed. You say you are rigged for bass fishing then the best place to go is Sam Rayburn Lake, or Toledo bend Reservoir. Sam Rayburn is one of the top 5 places for bass fishing they hold Bass Tournaments all the time, and the housing market here is very cheap you can buy a home on the lake for 225k easy. the only issue in South East Texas is the humidity.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:58 PM

450 posts, read 2,056,408 times
Smile Yep, its T-Bend or Big Sam for bass!

Either Rayburn or Toledo Bend. Be aware that on Rayburn you may not be allowed to have a dock in front of your place. And Toledo Bend is really geared more to fishing because it has so many stumps and submerged timber. That keeps the recreational boaters and jet skiers, et. al. away from the fishing holes. You could spend a lifetime fishing the big T-Bend. It is famous for bass. The real estate is also rather inexpensive the further north you go on the lake--and that is some of the best fishing. Rayburn is developing some of its western shore, but much of the land is reserved for national forest. Either lake offers fantastic and world class bass fishing. It is more country than resorty. I think you would like it. God Bless. Kurt.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:03 AM

266 posts, read 1,333,735 times
If you really want a good resource for bass fisheries, check out this forum:

BassBoat Central

No shortage of good discussion on there about where great bass fishing is to be found (and pretty much every other related topic you'd ever want to know about). Admittedly, NM is not the top destination for most bass guys (and gals). I wouldn't want to live on or near a tourney lake though.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:56 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bqtchef View Post
You say you are rigged for bass fishing then the best place to go is Sam Rayburn Lake, or Toledo bend Reservoir. Sam Rayburn is one of the top 5 places for bass fishing they hold Bass Tournaments all the time, and the housing market here is very cheap you can buy a home on the lake for 225k easy. the only issue in South East Texas is the humidity.
Why is someone posting about Southeast texas lakes on here? The OP never asked about Southeast texas. They said they are in Colorado and asked about their neighboring state here in the Rockies and not about the Swamps of East texas.They can go over to the Southeast texas forums and get answers about it if they choose to do so as that's there decision of course.

If that's the criteria for then why doesn't the OP move to Michigan as they the Great Lakes or maybe they should move to Kansas because of Milford Lake etc.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:49 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,081,122 times
6 FOOT 3 correctly asked:

> Why is someone posting about Southeast texas lakes on here?

I also might add (again) that the original post was asking for what ._town_. to pick.

They also stated that they "enjoyed fishing some of the lakes in New Mexico," so telling them how much better this or that (maybe three or more hour drive from any part of New Mexico) lake is to fish might not be useful information.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:06 PM

27 posts, read 57,135 times
If you really want to fish come to me to Siberia!

Old 03-15-2008, 12:25 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
I think Eagle Nest Lake is extraordinarily beautiful, but the Eagle Nest area has real winters. If one is used to Colorado, it might not be too bad. I really don't know how good the fishing is, but there is a marina and trout fishing there. It's so scenic I probably wouldn't care if I caught much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico