Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2016, 04:08 PM

12 posts, read 34,485 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Texas all my life. I am currently fixated on moving to New Mexico . I was wondering if anyone, from their experience thinks this state is better than Texas in terms of weather, respect , job opportunities, race, political affiliation, religiosity, languages, and environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 04:53 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,147 times
Why don't you visit and find out for yourself? If you still have questions, I'm sure folks in this forum would be happy to help.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:46 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
I was born in Texas (El Paso) and have lived for varying lengths of time in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Austin. That was in my working days. I would never have considered New Mexico as long as I needed employment.

But when I retired, I gave no thoughts to living in Texas. I chose to move to the forested mountains of south-central NM for the cooler year-around weather, lower cost of living, and more affordable housing. It had been my second home all of my life so I knew exactly what I was getting into and have had no regrets.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:38 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,341,443 times
I agree with joqua. As long as you don't have to be concerned with employment, NM is a good place to live. Texas has its good points too. Depends on what all you want and are looking for in a place to live.

I wanted to get out of Texas because of the hot weather. Other than that, I love Texas. I now live in a small, touristy, town in NM where the weather is cooler and I seldom use the AC in the summer.

IMO, i think Tx people are friendlier, probably more religious. NM seems to be more democrat whereas Tx more republican. I've never had any trouble with race so I can't answer that. Language wise, I think both states are about the same. Both speak English and Spanish mainly.

What part of NM are you thinking?

Old 04-27-2016, 09:11 PM

12 posts, read 34,485 times
Thank you all. We are thinking Albuquerque

Old 04-30-2016, 05:54 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,594,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarriors View Post
I have lived in Texas all my life. I am currently fixated on moving to New Mexico . I was wondering if anyone, from their experience thinks this state is better than Texas in terms of weather, respect , job opportunities, race, political affiliation, religiosity, languages, and environment.
Everything you mention is going to vary a lot by locale. But I'd pick NM over Texas in all the categories you mentioned except for jobs. And that may change too if the price of oil doesn't come up.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,384 times
We moved to Albuquerque a year and a half ago and are actually leaving soon to go to Texas. The job market is terrible here and all the planned communities are lacking in lot size. If you want no privacy or don't need a decent paying job come on over. We have found the schools and healthcare to be second rate also. The only thing Albuquerque has going for it is weather and scenery. A lot of people that live in the suburb...yeah there is really only 2 suburbs of ABQ...are transplants also. I have found the area to be mostly white with some areas mixed with Native Americans and Hispanics. Everyone is generally friendly and respectful from our experience. Traffic here is a joke. Literally non exsistant. Def come check it out first. It's a small slow city.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:20 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sconsin79 View Post
...and all the planned communities are lacking in lot size. If you want no privacy...
I have found this to be a trend wherever new developments are going in (have gone in) in the USA. New Mexico does have some areas where lot sizes are an acre or more. An example is Talavera to the SE of Las Cruces. I was recently surprised to see a neighborhood in CO Springs where HUGE mansions are crowded one against the other. Can't imagine why anyone with millions to spend would not buy where they have more land around their residence.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:23 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,802,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Wow. At first I thought this list was from The Onion but it seems legit.
No quarrel with the communities listed but the term "suburbs" seems a bit broad.
Mountainair is 65 miles away. Better off driving from Socorro.
San Ysidro is only about 45 miles out. Jarales is 40 miles (but interstate driving).
I guess Rio Rancho must be number 11? followed by Bernalillo, Placitas and Algodonas?
Edgewood...where are you?
And isn't Paradise Hills actually a neighborhood in Albuquerque? (not sure)
There's a longer list at the end of the article, but Placitas and Algondones are not on it at all. This is a very strange comparison that looks as if it was done by someone with no knowledge of the Albuquerque area. The San Ysidro commute time is given as 20 minutes. Where does the writer think someone in San Ysidro commutes to? It's 45 minutes to Abq, probably longer in rush hour. I expect Jarales is about the same. Mountainair commute is 19 minutes? Rio Rancho is #14, just behind Carnuel.

I wouldn't rely on this list for anything.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,051 times
The problem with the definition of suburb is that all metro areas are continually expanding their "city" boundaries, which, in turn, reduces a "suburb" to a residential area/community.

Last edited by sumdad; 08-30-2016 at 10:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico