Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 05:51 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,214,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I'm also interested in visiting Clovis because Buddy Holly recorded a lot of his music there.
LOL...

That's probably the best reason I've yet heard for visiting Clovis!

Do you also like Mack Davis? If so, you'll want to add Lubbock, TX to your list - not "too" far from Clovis.

Quote:
"Humming an old Buddy Holly tune called Peggy Sue (pretty, pretty Peggy Sue)
With my favorite jeans and a cheap guitar I ran off chasing a distant star
If Buddy Holly could make it that far then I figured I could too
I thought happiness was Lubbock Texas in my rearview mirror"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 07:47 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,361,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CII View Post
And the Toltec and Cumbres train, 64 miles crossing the Colo-NM border 13 times and topping out at over 10,000 feet elevation.
I take the train every October. Love that area wish it wasn't a 13 hour drive.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:02 AM
CII

153 posts, read 227,926 times
About an hour away from the eastern terminus, Antonito, during the summer. Got a season pass this year.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:59 AM
JPD JPD started this thread

12,138 posts, read 18,359,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
LOL...

That's probably the best reason I've yet heard for visiting Clovis!

Do you also like Mack Davis? If so, you'll want to add Lubbock, TX to your list - not "too" far from Clovis.

Yeah, I'm sure Clovis isn't much to see, and aside from the Buddy Holly statue (I think there's one there) you'd never know there was a connection. I'm sure they don't make a big deal out of it like Memphis does.

I'm not familiar with Mack Davis, but I'll look into him. Thanks for the tip! We have friends that moved to Lubbock recently, so maybe I'll make it out there.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:08 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,492,791 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure Clovis isn't much to see, and aside from the Buddy Holly statue (I think there's one there) you'd never know there was a connection. I'm sure they don't make a big deal out of it like Memphis does.

I'm not familiar with Mack Davis, but I'll look into him. Thanks for the tip! We have friends that moved to Lubbock recently, so maybe I'll make it out there.
Not sure exactly what you mean by saying they don't make a big deal out of it, but three of the attractions listed on the Clovis Chamber of Commerce website - the studios themselves (Norman Petty Studios - Clovis/Curry County), a rock and roll museum, and a music festival, are all focused on Norman Petty and Buddy Holly. There may not be all that much to do in Clovis, but I think they are definitely trying to market this part of their history.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:32 AM

18,278 posts, read 26,011,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CII View Post
And the Toltec and Cumbres train, 64 miles crossing the Colo-NM border 13 times and topping out at over 10,000 feet elevation.
Recommended!

Old 04-07-2016, 01:44 PM
JPD JPD started this thread

12,138 posts, read 18,359,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
Not sure exactly what you mean by saying they don't make a big deal out of it, but three of the attractions listed on the Clovis Chamber of Commerce website - the studios themselves (Norman Petty Studios - Clovis/Curry County), a rock and roll museum, and a music festival, are all focused on Norman Petty and Buddy Holly. There may not be all that much to do in Clovis, but I think they are definitely trying to market this part of their history.
What I mean is that you won't find a three story tall neon lighted Fender Stratocaster bolted to the side of a building, or dozens of cheesy gift shops selling shot glasses and Buddy Holly bobbleheads. Clovis celebrates that aspect of their history, as they should, but they don't beat you over the head with it like they do in Memphis.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:57 PM

41,458 posts, read 59,991,204 times
Cumbres and Toltec are on our list. Along with the Enchanted Circle. Return to the Mineshaft Tavern in Madrid. Shiprock and the Cloudcroft Rug Auction.

Like I said: Too many places and too little time/money. See Ya soon anyway.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:21 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,361,815 times
Love the train only been on enchanted circle twice. Maybe I'll take that again.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:47 PM

102,437 posts, read 108,813,048 times
Quote:
I would love to visit again. My wife and I have a goal to visit all 50 states, so our return to NM would most likely be after we've completed that goal. It'll probably take us another five years to do that.
Next trip, be sure to visit Taos, north of Santa Fe. It's a pretty little art town with a lot of scenery, and one of the oldest continuously-inhabited Indian pueblos in the Southwest. It's a National Historic Monument. The Rio Grande gorge is nice to drive along, and walk across the bridge over, north of Taos. There are several museums in the area, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico