Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 08:37 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,503,165 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the good, thoughtful reply. Wow - nice and complete information. We have only one Starbuck's here - it is inside an Albertson's Supermarket. Doesn't matter to my wife and I because I don't need wifi when I'm out - I just use the data on my cellphone, and, at home here I enjoy a nice full-size HP desktop with a 22" screen with a data plan and wifi from TDS here in Alamogordo. But we don't buy at Starbuck's stores - we buy at Wal*Mart and prepare it in our coffeemaker here at home. Dee-licious!

Yes, at 43 I wasn't going to (and couldn't) retire. So I needed another skill to use to get a job. The Trade Act was enabled because of Boeing's trade war with Airbus Industrie. That competition was necessary for the U.S. Gub-Mint to approve funding to retrain us laidoff Boeing workers who wanted to. They gave me a severance check of $11,000 and we sold our Burlington, WA, home in about 3 weeks. Got a hitch put on our 2001 Kia Sportage 4X4 to tow our newly-purchased 4X8' utility trailer, and filled it with all the stuff we wanted to keep in Missouri. Then we sold or basically gave away whatever stuff we couldn't sell and headed off to the east to Missouri, where I had already began the enrollment process in Rolla, MO, at the small college I learned Respiratory Therapy at. Believe you me, too, tommy, I really needed to keep on all of the bureaucracy involved so that they would do their jobs. I needed Boeing, The Trade Act, the State of Missouri, the State of Washington and Rolla Technical Center/East Union College all to dot their i's and cross their t's. Not all easy or simple as it may sound, but the college tuition and books were fully paid for by The Trade Act, plus I got weekly $454 U.I. checks from the State of Washington, as long as I kept up a 'C' grade point average. I did study very hard and everything worked out for me!

My first RT job was in the small Capitol town of Pierre, SD. Cool little town on the Missouri River in the middle of South Dakota. Several positions later I'm back here in Alamogordo.

Yep, I'm a Seattle Mariner, Seattle Seahawk and University of Washington basketball and football fan. Soon Seattle is getting an NHL hockey franchise and a New World Order Seattle Supersonic's NBA team, though the political process is very slow and irritatingly frustrating in Seattle, so everything's taking longer than it should.

Enjoy your Wednesday over in Pueblo, tommy. PM me on city-data when you come down here and we'll go grab a Starbuck's or a beer or margarita together, all right?! I hope you get your window blocking curtain situation solved, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 07:34 AM

232 posts, read 302,586 times
"...I really needed to keep on all of the bureaucracy involved so that they would do their jobs."?

WOW! Also a "thoughtful reply elko." I've never heard of the "Trade Act." That's great! With all those years at Boeing I'm glad those great benefits came through for you. I fly SWA and love their Boeing 737's...won't fly McDonnell-Douglas. I worked for NWA (Northworst..haha) years ago and when they merged with the "Blue Goose" airline: North Central they polluted their fleet with MD aircraft. Big mistake.

Not sure who you directed the above quote to but assuming the teachers? Teachers are suffering today but at that level they should be pretty good? But it's mostly on the backs of students today to learn.

Pierre SD? Been through there on the Missouri River. I've lived in Rapid City (1yr) and Sioux Falls (their populated "arm-pit" (1yr). Very RED state and mean. Also very cold. It's amazing that SD exists with mostly progressive states surrounding it like my own of MN? SD is actually where I learned about the semi-dry and humid air in this country and WHERE they separate. In Huron where they have their state fair I discovered a "Wayfair marker" on the grounds (looks like a historical marker that you pull off the road and read on travels) entitled: "Here the West begins." Google it. In fact there is a thread on city-data where I've posted: "Where does the West begin?" Great "stuff" as ESPN sez...haha.

Yeah Happy beginning of the "Summer Solstice." 90 here and "abundant sunshine" (no clouds). I found some no-drill hooks online: "3M Command" and I believe I'll order them to hang my "sunblock curtains." All the reviews say they'll work. That sounds good with sharing a coffee brew. I hope to head down around Sept. during fair time and make a circle trip. Lets meet up at your local "barista coffee shop?" You must have one with the size of 'gordo?

Be safe and well, Tommy

Old 07-03-2018, 09:12 AM

Well, life was going well until our 14 year-old Pomeranian fell ill last week and died. He suffered from one of the Pomeranian breed's worst problems, collapsing trachea, and after eating some snacks last Tuesday he started sucking air. A trip to the vet only resulted in me trying to ward off his attempts to try and save the dog with antibiotics and time. But he wanted to stuff big pills down his throat and for us to continue doing this at hime. Cotey didn't have any time, I'm sure the vet knew this. Or did he think he could treat him? He offered to euthanize him, but, he was barely willing to do that. He wanted to treat him with medicine and wait. By that time, with the stress that an end-of-life issue brings on a dog owner, I just wanted to take my dog home and care intensely for him there. My wife and I knew what was going to happen - and around 5:00AM Wednesday the 27th of June, Cotey took his last breath and died. I buried him later that day in our front yard.

What a hyper, loyal, beautiful, loving creature he was - he loved us with all his heart. The vet mentioned that his stomach appeared to have distended - if I'm thinking my inner obstructions correctly that means that his diaphragm wasn't able to fully work properly any more, either. Add that problem to the tracheal collapse and his breathing was labored too much.

My wife called our normal vet who didn't have time to see Cotey on Wednesday, and the vet's assistant we talked to believes dogs don't suffer or feel a lot of pain when they have this condition regarding oxygen, they just go in to shock, and that protects them from a lot of pain or discomfort. He didn't look like he was in a lot of pain, we were just hoping he could catch his breath up and start settling down. I looked up what 14 years is in dog years - I thought it was going to be 90 or something - it's actually 72 years old in dog years.

RIP Cotey You were loved and you're still loved

Old 07-04-2018, 09:56 AM

232 posts, read 302,586 times
Hi elko. I'm sorry about "Cotey." Looks like you did everything to prolong his life. I looked up Pomeranians on google: 12-16yr longevity and origin from Germany, Poland. So it looks like you got "man's best friend" in years out of him? Still doesn't cure the loss right away and 'letting go.' Do you have other dogs? Thought you did. Well maybe the move back to NM took something out of Cotey? I know I'm 2weeks post move and still in 'recovery.' Doing well though...got my curtains up. 3M "Command" hooks are wonderful if you don't want to mess with drills etc. My apt is 100% livable now in fact I haven't even turned on my AC since I got them up! Big savings. Well I'm sure you'll get another "Cotey" but I guess puppies are the way to go. I guess Pomeranians although friendly and playful have an aggressive streak? Being a dog-lover as you are elko...I'm sure your choice will be good.

Fires up here in CO. They arrested a guy from Mexico for lighting the "Springs" fire. We had 1 bad day last Fri. Air quality really bad. Stayed inside...all you can do. Stay cool elko, Tommy

Old 07-04-2018, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the kind thoughts, tommy. Yes, we still have the two Willcox, AZ, rescue cats and our 10 year old Chow Chow, Meggy May. Meggy May is now our only dog and she's actually a lot more mellow dog than Cotey was. So we'll take great care of her and the cats.

Sounds like you got yourself some quality window coverings that really work to help keep your apartment cooler, and don't require a lot of tools and extensive skill to put up. That's great - sounds like you did good on that purchase and self-install. Good deal!

Enjoy!

Old 07-04-2018, 12:48 PM

17,804 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Thanks for the kind thoughts, tommy. Yes, we still have the two Willcox, AZ, rescue cats and our 10 year old Chow Chow, Meggy May. Meggy May is now our only dog and she's actually a lot more mellow dog than Cotey was. So we'll take great care of her and the cats.

Sounds like you got yourself some quality window coverings that really work to help keep your apartment cooler, and don't require a lot of tools and extensive skill to put up. That's great - sounds like you did good on that purchase and self-install. Good deal!

Enjoy!
Sorry about your dog. One of my dogs that was almost 16 had to be put down last week. I was talking to someone about good old Willcox last week and some of the funny stories that happened in the long term care facility when I was there in the 1980s. Glad your Kitties still tie you to Willcox

Old 07-04-2018, 02:21 PM

Sorry about your dog. One of my dogs that was almost 16 had to be put down last week. I was talking to someone about good old Willcox last week and some of the funny stories that happened in the long term care facility when I was there in the 1980s. Glad your Kitties still tie you to Willcox

Hi eddie gein! Sorry to hear of your dog's passing. It's really tough, isn't it? That's cool that you have a connection to Willcox, AZ, too. Sounds like I missed you there in Willcox at the hospital. I got there for a Respiratory Therapy job in August of 2006. We actually liked Willcox a lot. One day out driving around one of our friends called the pound and asked if they had any cats available to adopt. Turns out they did, so we checked it out. I picked out a little orange tabby and named him Casper, because of his little round head that reminded me of Casper the Friendly Ghost. My wife picked out another male kitten, this one was grey and as adorable as the orange one. She named him Matty. They're now 11 and doing pretty well, although Matty went blind last summer in Kansas City. We still have him and are taking great care of him. Casper is doing well - we still have him as well.

But the LTC facility has got to be the same one that's now attached to Northern Cochise Community Hospital, where I went to work at in 2006. It was a good stay - the town is pretty quiet. It used to be the busiest cattle town in the country way back in the 20's and 30's. They'd round 'em up and put them on railroad cars to be taken to Chicago and Kansas City for slaughter. I often think of Willcox and mostly the thoughts are pleasant ones.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:34 PM

3 posts, read 2,147 times
Question Internet in Alamogordo, NM

I apologize for jumping into this post super late, but I have a question--I am looking at moving to Alamogordo and need to know how the internet service is. I work from home and currently have time warner cable (spectrum) internet for work. It is hard wired into my home. I cannot use satellite or DSL for my work. Are there cable internet services available there? Thank you

Old 07-04-2018, 06:53 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Here is an old thread on the subject: Technical question: Internet access Alamogordo

Perhaps some of the locals will chime in...

Old 07-04-2018, 07:49 PM

3 posts, read 2,147 times
Default Thanks

Thank you Poncho_NM I will look at that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico