Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 06:22 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,165,869 times

Advertisements

I ran across this description of Tularosa by a person who grew up in the town and thought it might be of interest to readers in this forum, even though this particular thread is not presently active. It pretty much echoes my sentiments about the town:

Quote:
I grew up in Tularosa and moved away after high school, but had to return later to help with ailing parent. Tulie was a great place to grow up in, I like raising my kids here, (it is quiet, trustworthy, friendly, and feels safe), but you certainly want your kids to leave town once they are grown, because there is no opportunities here.

Although I have heard many complaints about Tulie schools, the complaints are as rampant as those in Alamogordo. I have had kids who attended both schools, and although Alamo offers more extracarricular activities, you cannot beat the hometown pride of Tularosa sports fans for it's youth programs. Academically, I believe both school systems slight the kids on college bound carriculum, but I also believe that a child who desires to succeed can do so with the background of either school system.

Tulie is quiet, and laid back, and a different lifestyle than that of Alamo. Change is slow, and sometimes aggravatingly so- but when in Rome, do as the Romans. The sunsets and sunrises are glorious, beautiful mountains are just minutes away, cities are a long, but beautiful drive in several directions, and a beautiful desert is all around waiting to be discovered. The sky is big, and filled with a million stars. Neighbors are friendly, the town smells of fireplaces on winter nights, tortillas cooking on the kitchen stoves, and green chili roasting on barbeque grills. Open ditches run with water, flooding yards filled with rosebushes and pecan trees. However- don't drink the water, don't question the local politics, don't expect your neighbors to clean up their yards because YOU want them to, and don't speed through town- or you will HATE this place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 08:05 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
Don't speed through Tularosa - just don't. No, I was never ticketed there, but we noticed lots of people pulled over by the police. Lots of people pulled over! We would go through Tularosa on the way to Ruidoso all the time - it is a neat little town. We'd pull over for a Subway sub or go to the small market on Highway 70 through town.

Driving around the town west of Highway 70 is fun. There is a fantastic tree canopy in town that is lush and green. It reminds me of a desert oasis.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:58 AM

356 posts, read 503,633 times
I need to spend more time in Tularosa. It's got that same feel that La Luz offers, but more of it. Something enchanting about the scale of those streets and buildings, and the old cottonwoods. In his book, "Tularosa, Last of the Frontier West," C.L. Sonnichsen cites a manuscript about Tularosa written by Hollywood actress Jan Clayton, who was born there. I'd sure love to read it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Clayton

Here she is with John Raitt, singing a Rodgers and Hammerstein classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfCy...=RDgfCyUugiWm8

Last edited by Oregon Bill; 10-24-2017 at 07:11 AM..

Old 10-24-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Bill View Post
C.L. Sonnichsen cites a manuscript about Tularosa written by Hollywood actress Jan Clayton, who was born there. I'd sure love to read it.
I can't help with Jan Clayton's manuscript, but one of the most interesting and thorough accounts I've ever run across is this one by one of the true pioneers of the area. It's a treasure trove of old photos taken as far back as the mid-1800s:

THE LA LUZ I REMEMBER by Juan Jose Gutierrez

It's a long document and when scrolling down the pages, it's easy to think you're at the end due to large white blanks spaces. You'll be at the end when you reach the author's hand written signature. I'm not sure when the booklet was published but the dated signature is 1970.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:50 AM

356 posts, read 503,633 times
Joqua, thank you so much for that!
I see that my great-great uncle Jim Wayland was on the coroner's jury that examined the body of Frenchy Rocha at his Dog Canyon ranch, and that he, his brother Millard Wayland and his mother, my great-great grandmother Mary Wayland all had water rights for their lots in La Luz. I also note that Jim and his brother Ed were among the last to see Colonel Fountain and his son alive.

Last edited by Oregon Bill; 10-25-2017 at 06:35 AM..

Old 10-26-2017, 11:51 AM

109 posts, read 136,209 times
Thank You Joqua, that was a fascinating read. Great post!

Old 11-01-2017, 03:52 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
We will probably spend a few days in T or C this spring after our from our NH winter. I just added a long visit to Tularosa to my list of places to investigate for potential snowbird time.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I just added a long visit to Tularosa to my list of places to investigate for potential snowbird time.
I can't think of a single motel actually in Tularosa. Nearest are in Alamogordo, but that's only 13 miles on a 4-lane hiway.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:32 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I can't think of a single motel actually in Tularosa. Nearest are in Alamogordo, but that's only 13 miles on a 4-lane hiway.
I haven't been there in a while, but as I recall there's a place called the "Knotty Pine Motel" on US 70 just east of 54. This is a somewhat seedy pay-by-the-week extended-stay kind of establishment, though, rather than the kind of place that caters to tourists or snowbirds.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
I haven't been there in a while, but as I recall there's a place called the "Knotty Pine Motel" on US 70 just east of 54.
I had forgotten about that old outdated place and am not even sure it's still doing business. I was just through there two days ago and didn't even notice it. Will look again when I drive by next Wednesday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico