Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 02:32 PM

41 posts, read 68,998 times

Advertisements

Excluding Albuquerque (and Rio Rancho, Los Lunas and others nearby), Santa Fe (and nearby Los Alamos, Taos, Espanola) and Las Cruces (and Mesilla), what other cities would you pick to live in if you had a young family with elementary school-aged kids? I'm trying to work out other places to apply to for work as an RN and trying to narrow down other choices besides the three areas above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 02:51 PM

26,527 posts, read 52,075,245 times
For whatever it is worth, From: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Top Ten Best School Systems in NM
Name
1 Los Alamos
2 Melrose
3 Rio Rancho
4 Cloudcroft
5 Clayton
6 Stanley
7 Angel Fire
8 Logan
9 Fort Sumner
10 Edgewood

Last edited by Yac; 07-29-2014 at 07:24 AM..

Old 07-27-2014, 08:41 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,659,722 times
Ruidoso. Alamogordo. Silver City.

As an RN I guess you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a job, so what are your other wishes?

Old 07-27-2014, 10:26 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,601,034 times
Ruidoso. Alamogordo. Silver City.

I agree with you, rruff. I work for Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center in Alamogordo and love working there. This is the first job in Cardiopulmonary that I can say I love. A lot of it has ta do with the fact that I am a Sleep Technician and I've been trying ta get a Sleep Tech. job as long as I've been a Respiratory Therapist. Which is 9 years now.

I do believe that Gerald Champion needs RN's right now, they usually have several openings running at the same time on the online job board. Alamo is a good place ta live.

One band we love is playing the Socorro Entertainment Center in Socorro, TX (just east of El Paso), Tonic. Tonic plays the SEC on August 24th, 2014. Clint Black plays the SEC on August 30, 2014. Both shows are only $10.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:02 PM

138 posts, read 271,658 times
Out of curiosity, sinbad, why are you excluding ABQ, SF, and Cruces? It might help narrow down what you are looking for if we know what you don't like about the areas you mentioned (and all their surrounding areas).

Old 07-29-2014, 12:11 PM

I'm not eliminating them by any means. I'm a new graduate RN and it's not easy to get jobs in the larger city hospitals. I've applied to hospitals those cities and am hoping to hear back. However, in the meantime I want to put some applications in at smaller cities as well.

We're trying to find someplace that's reasonably safe, with decent schools, and activities to do with kids. A medium-sized city would be preferable if I don't land something in a larger one, but we've lived in rural areas as well so that's not out of the question. I'm still picking my way through these forums but areas like Gallup, Clovis, etc. seem to get dumped on a lot so I was looking for what other places people actually do recommend for families.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:01 PM

26,527 posts, read 52,075,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbadx81 View Post
We're trying to find someplace that's reasonably safe, with decent schools, and activities to do with kids.
Rio Rancho... Of course I'm biased, lived there since 1998, have had family members go from Kindergarten to College there. Two of my granddaughters where in the band, one was a cheerleader. One granddaughter and grandson now want to move back here. Second lowest crime rate, first lowest was Los Alamos (I have not researched that lately)

The sheer number of jobs in the ABQ area seems to make things easier. But that was just an observation, my wife and I came out with good jobs. She worked in ABQ, I commuted to Wash D.C. until I retired...

Presbyterian Rust Medical Center in Rio Rancho has over 20 "RN" job openings. I could be reading their page incorrectly. https://rust-medical-center.phs.org/Pages/default.aspx

Presbyterian Healthcare Services in Rio Rancho (Their older hospital, about 10 years old) may have RN positions, I did not wander through their site: https://www.phs.org/Pages/default.aspx

UNM Sandoval Regional Medical Center in Rio Rancho lists over 10 "RN" jobs. Careers | UNM Sandoval Regional Medical Center

There are other facilities in ABQ.

You really need to visit. Some people like New Mexico, some hate it after a while...

Old 07-29-2014, 04:01 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,087,903 times
You shouldn't have any problem finding a nursing job in Albuquerque. I know 3 recent nurse grads (last 2 years) that were able to land nursing jobs in the city fairly easily.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:38 PM

Thank you, Poncho. I've heard good things about Rio Rancho.

Thanks to you also, NMHacker. That's very encouraging news.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:35 AM

65 posts, read 154,474 times
Edgewood/Moriarty, and Santa Rosa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico