Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2007, 05:19 AM

8 posts, read 40,112 times

Advertisements

I am doing some research (or trying to anyways) on 2 properties that are currently listed for sale in Placitas. My wife and I lived in NM for 3 1/2 years between 1996 and 2000 and are interested in moving back. At the time we were there we lived in enchanted hills in rio rancho but we both always would look east towards placitas saying if we could go back....that's where we would love to live. Anyways.....there are 2 listings right now in Placitas for homes between 1800 and 2200 square feet that are listing at $299,999. This seems like a great deal for an adobe style home on 1+ acres of land. Thing that makes be suspicious is that both these listings look like they are across the street from one another and I am wondering if there may be something (landfill, other) that may be close by bringing the prices down. The addresses are:

4 Camino De La Vina Vieja
95 Camino De Las Huertas

If anyone is living in Placitas and knows this area...can you tell me if there is something located in this general area that would be cause for concern. I am currently living in Massachusetts and will not be able to get back to NM for a visit for a few months so I was hoping someone in the are may be able to provide some insight on this....who knows...maybe the real estate market is simply coming down in NM like it is here in the Northeast.

Thanks for your help,
Bob

Old 11-29-2010, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,296 times
Default Someone in Placitas

Bob,
My wife and I lived in New England our entire lives and moved to NM in 1999. Placitas was our choice then and would be again today. I travel often for work, and always look forward to coming home to NM. It is different in NM, but pleasantly so for the most part. We miss N E but would probalbly never move back.
As for your question about those (2) properties, you could ask my wife who is a Real Estate QB in NM. I think I know where they are and think it is because they are near a pipeline reduction plant. NM is cris-crossed with those!
There are not a lot of homes for sale in Placitas, but enough to keep it competitive. Now is a good time to buy in NM, like everywhere else. Prices are low, but showing some signs of moving upward. Not the number of homes "under water" like in FL or CA, so it has to be your destination of choice.
Good Luck.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:23 PM

5,065 posts, read 7,473,580 times
Those houses are either on top of or in close proximity to the Cortez gas pipeline. If you look in Google maps you can clearly see (in satellite view) where the pipeline runs, it goes right under (or alongside) the stretch of Camino de Las Huertas where these houses are located. Look for a grey band without vegetation running from northwest to southeast. There have been safety issues with the pipeline in Placitas. (Now that I look at the map again, it looks like the main pipeline is north of there, a larger band of gray... something to look into. Maybe the pipeline was moved, or this is an offshoot.)

Most housing in Placitas is a safe distance from the pipeline but I for one wouldn't want to live in a house right on top of it. Better to spend a little more and be safe.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:50 PM

182 posts, read 709,241 times
I agree with aries63: I wouldn't buy a house ON or too close to a gas pipeline, either!

A few years back in El Paso, TX, 2-3 houses were on or too close to a gas pipeline and ended up being razed (don't recall if they exploded, burned down or gas leaks contaminated their yards) and IIRC, the company responsible for the disaster paid the people for their homes/lots. To this day that area is still vacant.

Insurance rates may also be higher living on/close to a gas pipeline...but even if it's affordable, I'd still not take the chance. Only your next-of-kin might benefit -- instead of you!

Old 11-30-2010, 09:10 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,900,777 times
Looks like Bob, the original poster started this thread with one question over three years ago... He hasn't logged on here at City-Data for over two years...

So, his original situation might have changed...

Rich

Old 12-01-2010, 01:21 AM

182 posts, read 709,241 times
You know, no one looks at dates of original posts anymore...including me! We're just like Lemmings following -- in this case -- the more recent responses.

Well then, it's here for someone ELSE asking the very same question...so all is not lost (as if anyone researches older posts first BEFORE posting anyway). I hope that's a decent spin on why we answered...CYA ;-)

Now the next question is why I am up at 2:19 a.m. (Central Time) adding responses to a 3+ year-old OP. I don't have an answer for that...but I AM going to bed now!

Old 12-01-2010, 11:25 AM

5,065 posts, read 7,473,580 times
I have noticed that sometimes old posts like that end up at the top of the list. When I first saw it there was no reply to the original post so I thought I was responding to something new. Then after I posted I saw the other response by Displayadman that wasn't there when I first read the OP. Some kind of glitch with the system I guess.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:47 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,900,777 times
The "Sticky" posts go to the top of the list.

When a post is replied to it goes to the top of the list, they are by default sorted by replied date, not by the date they are started...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-27-2016 at 04:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico