Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 12:40 AM

55 posts, read 173,566 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Relocating to Alamogordo from another state.

I'll need internet access, but I'm not interested in:
  • Television (i.e. cable or satellite), or
  • Land line telephone

Besides, even if I did, I'm allergic to bundling.

I know some people have smart phones with data plans and they pay extra to tether their laptops to same for internet access, but I don't have a smart phone and don't plan to get one in the forseeable future.

Is it possible to get high-speed internet without having a land line?

And for anyone in Alamogordo, what's the going rate for internet plans?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 07:01 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,191,399 times
Your best bet if phone or cable lines are out of the question is probably something like a Verizon JetPack, which uses a speedy 4G network where available. Monthly costs vary by usage.

There's also DirecWay (satellite internet). Not all that high speed by modern standards, but faster than dialup.

Cheaper yet is finding a neighbor who doesn't mind sharing their wifi with you. Signal boosters can help you get that signal as if it was in your own house if the will is there but the existing signal is too weak.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:28 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,065,093 times
Yes, you can get cable internet or DSL without having tv or a phone number.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:36 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,173,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Yes, you can get cable internet or DSL without having tv or a phone number.
Add to that satellite "Dish."

Old 09-08-2012, 09:06 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,806,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerenssa View Post
Is it possible to get high-speed internet without having a land line?
Yes it is possible, but the big factor is your exact location. I have Cable internet with not other features (phone, tv). As someone mentioned Satellite is possible, it is the most expensive option but sometimes it is the only option depending on where you live.

Until someone in Alamagordo actually replies you can start searching on the internet: Alamogordo Internet service providers isp | Internet service providers isp in Alamogordo, NM - YP.com

Old 09-10-2012, 08:32 AM

Thanks for the responses, all.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:47 PM

259 posts, read 851,587 times
If you haven't already found out there aren't many options here. Centurylink and Baja is all we have internet wise in Alamogordo. I have Baja which is the cable provider here.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:04 AM

Thanks. I went with Baja. I think it's expensive, but ...

Old 11-20-2012, 12:53 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,511,797 times
Hey, kerenssa, if you don't mind can you post back in here how that experience with Baja goes? I used that in Elko, NV, and found it better than average and certainly better than nothing, but definitely a service one could beat if better service was available somewhere. Also, how much per month is it going to cost? Thanks in advance!

Old 11-21-2012, 08:42 AM

My experience has been satisfactory. I went with the highest speed, which is 14. Regular rate, which includes modem rental @$3 per month, is $55ish. I have a three-month special @ $44/month.

In about six weeks of service thus far, there was about half a day when the connection was down; this seemed to be citywide.

A few days ago, I noticed problems with watching some videos online. When I did a speedtest, it was at 10.4, which still should have been sufficient to watch the videos, but evidently not. (I just now checked the speed and it clocked at 11.3) So a call to tech support will be in my future.

I already had a router, so I'm using that and thus saving myself a monthly rental fee. If I had my own modem, I could save that $3 also, but for now, it seems to make most sense to continue to rent same.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico