Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 09:41 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,910,879 times

Advertisements

They have head and shoulders above the ability to educate their own, having a very erudite tack to their view on life.

Well, that very much begs the question...why don't they?

Teaching in the regular school systems was quite bad enough...I would imagine that teaching on the reservation would be a nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,431 times
That would be me

My family & I moved to Zuni in July 06 and moved back home to MO in June 07.

Danielle: There are several things to consider and ask yourself before going in to such an area.

First of all, imho, working on an Indian Reservation such as at Zuni, would be a job best suited for a single male - but, that's just my 2cents

There were so many challenges that we faced while we were out there, but we also met some great people and saw some amazingly beautiful places.

Prob the greatest hardship was the stress on our children. There were only a couple of other white children in the entire district, besides ours. The Zunis were very reluctant to accept any 'outsiders'. The girls were teased and tormented on a daily basis. They had all sorts of profanity directed at them - things my young daughters had never heard and still don't know exactly what all of it meant. They were told to 'go back where they came from' and were let known in no uncertain terms that they weren't welcome. Don't get me wrong, there were a few amazing kids (and teachers/staff) that were wonderful to our kids and I was extremely thankful for them. But the things they had to endure was very hard on them. Not only were they called names, but they were hit, kicked, had things stolen from them, etc.

The reservation is very poor. Almost every one is unemployed with their money coming from the government and any extra coming from jewelry, fetishes and other items that they've sold. We had 'sellers' that came to our house on a daily basis. Some of them were extremely nice, others came when they were drunk or high and would become angry if we would not buy from them. We had things stolen from us, we had someone break into our yard - neighbors had windows busted out and things stolen, houses broken into...that sort of thing - it's a rough area.

Alot of the kids come from homes were drug and alcohol abuse is very prevalent. Alot of the kids are abused - sexually, physically and/or mentally.

There are just so many issues to deal with.

Another really hard thing for us to deal with was some of the things done to children during 'religious' ceremonies.

I could go on and on and am willing to give you any info that you like.

As I said previously, it's not ALL bad - it's a very beautiful place and we did have good experiences while there. I would consider giving it another go if it were just my husband and I - but not w/ the kids.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:18 PM

3 posts, read 19,526 times
I get my teaching degree in May, and actually wanted to do my student teaching on the Mescalero Rez, but a family friend who is Apache disuaded me. Mescalero (Mescalero Apache, Chiricaua Apache, Membres Apache Rez.) is only 20 miles from here. My great-grandmother was born there (her father worked with the Indian Service for many years and retired there) and many of my classmates in school were Apache. Our friend basically said that it was a very hard job, the youth are not interested, I would be an outsider, etc. I am still interested in teaching there, however I have decided that experience first would be better. So my plan is to teach several years and then reevaluate.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:29 PM

7 posts, read 26,117 times
Danielle, You should consider following your dream and move to new Mexico/work with the low income children and the rewards will be well worth it. My husband and i live in New Mexico the land of enchantment. A beautiful place and beautiful people,,, best of luck,
I think you've made a wise decesion,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltraneandcoffee View Post
Hi everyone A native new yorker here....I am a college senior graduating this december with a BA in history. I have wanted to move to either AZ or NM for a very long time, hopefully to teach 4th or 5th grade in a low-income area.

I read about a program online yesterday called the New Mexico Transition to Teach (NMT2T)- it's an alternative path to certification and it seemed amazing. However I dont know anyone in NM, I still live in NY and Im not sure if my dream of teaching near the Dine' or Zuni reservations is an idealistic mistake. Can anyone give me some advice regarding either the program, teaching elementary grades in low-income areas, or just packing up and heading out west in general? I visited Phoenix and...well.... I hope NM works out!
Danielle

Old 09-05-2007, 11:36 PM

7 posts, read 26,117 times
I say do what your heart says live learn and live well,
life's an adventure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GO FOR IT,,,,,
IT'S ALL EXPERIENCE .............

Old 09-07-2007, 09:19 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,773,123 times
Smile Good to get others opinion...it helps...

...to get a focus on a subject that may be new to some, me included being here a mere 9 months.

It seems like a dysfunctional family2 (squared). What looks good upfront has a lot of ugly underneath. Surprised that Jerry Springer hasn't tapped the Pueblo market. If they were to scalp him for his exploitation though, there is hope there.

The same situation exists in inner city Midwest. They were actually importing teachers from out of our country ($paycheck$) to educate those that are troubled. This is in Cleveland, Ohio! That is a slam/humility to our nation of base PUBLIC SCHOOL educators. Vouchers anyone?

The well intentioned teachers keep chipping away. Social anthropology is more than a pick and shovel.

New Mexico has been an eye opening education to me. I do love this state, people elsewhere ask me about it. This has always been your state too, I tell them, you do pay Federal taxes don't you?

Old 09-08-2007, 11:55 AM

36 posts, read 164,556 times
"The well intentioned teachers keep chipping away. Social anthropology is more than a pick and shovel." Amen to that one.

You all have helped me incredibly...I appreciate all of the replies! I do have a tendency to over-romanticize many things, and my boyfriend consistantly reminds me that if i go into things with a picture in my head, it is usually not really like that...however... I am not looking at NM as a place to be 'enchanted', however alluring the state motto may seem to a new yorker

The poverty does not deter me, nor does the possibility of being an outsider both culturally and physically (which I most surely will be..my mom has some Chitimachas blood in her, but I am dark from being mostly Italian and hispanic).

Soft_Tail Honey, I have heard that many times already...about going as a single young woman (I am almost 22) and I am trying to keep that in perspective.

Iloveallmy8pets: Thank you so much for your encouragement about that! That's how I see it too: it really is all an experience, and I most certainly do NOT want to stay where I am comfortable because I do not know what to expect from an experience. Plus, it would be a 3 year teaching committment maximum.

And I will be incredibly unhappy if I dont atleast try to go this direction. Now, I need to take the NMTA (teacher cert tests) in January when I visit and look for a plce to live. In the context of....oh I dont know... SAFETY.... which would be one of the BEST vs WORST areas for a 22 year old woman to be renting an apartment in...?

Old 09-08-2007, 11:59 AM

36 posts, read 164,556 times
Smile Response to mesa vista

" Teaching Navajo children is very different than any other ethnic group. Their non competitive culture means they will not answer you out loud in class (so they do not show up a tribe member), they are hard to engage- noisy classrooms are not usually a problem! You have to work hard to draw them out and gain thier trust."

This is incredible advice-- thank you very much! I am used much more to hispanic/black children's dynamics in an inner city.. much much much much much....different.

"Well I'm rambling I'm sure! Hope this helps- come visit and see if you are romanticizing or if it still appeals when you see it in person."

Not rambling at all! Everything you are saying is exactly what I need to consider... I would love to hear anything else you could share with me!

Danielle

Old 09-08-2007, 02:30 PM

298 posts, read 1,150,822 times
Newmex, Your info is very interesting! I've been an inner city teacher in the midwest, too (Dayton). I've finally had enough. I called it quits before this school year, and we plan on moving to New Mexico (most likely Albuquerque). I loved teaching, and loved teaching in the inner city--if I could have had some support from the administration! As you probably know, Dayton schools are a mess. I'm not sure if I'm going to look for a teaching job, or if I'm going to change careers. Right now I'm burned out.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:57 AM

29 posts, read 93,684 times
I thought I'd check in and see how it's going here and I must say I'm surprised by the number of really negative responses! I do not think you will find any more problems than you find in any group of low income folks as regards stealing, language, drugs etc. That is everywhere and in high income people too. You don't have kids I believe so that is not a factor for you and it is a good time in your life to try something like this. I would not want my kids to be the only non Navajo in the classroom. My son was a toddler when I worked on the res and he had a Navajo sitter and he learned to speak Navajo along with English, sadly he cannot remember it now. If you live WAY out on at a reservaton school like I did, you will not need an apartment, it will be supplied. You will have to learn how to shop once or twice a month and get along without the video or cable TV. That is good for anyone to try in my opinion!

I do not see it as wrong to learn to accommodate the native culture. When you teach you have to accommodate all kinds of culture. I have had anglo Jehovah Witness children that I had to not do holidays for. I have had vegan students who had to have alternate lunches. I have had students who were from conservative Christian homes and those who were from radical liberal homes...all of which required honoring and accommodating. It is the respect we give each other in the US that allows us to maintain our own faiths and cultures that makes us so interesting and I have never minded accommodating it as a teacher. Even those practices I personally highly disagree with I will honor because I want others to honor my faith adn treat my children the way I request. Most Navajo people I know really enjoy the progress of the 21st century too and have cell phones, computers and ipods. But they want to preserve their culture.

There are places where they still live in dirt floor hogans with no running water or electricity but these are fewer and fewer .

We live and work in the Central Consolidated school district...It covers Kirtland, Shiprock, Newcomb and Naschitti Schools. For kirtland and shiprock you can live in Farmington, the other 2 you live in teacher housing. They pay very well to first year teachers-$40,000 I belive. I have a friend who just did her first year last year, no teaching certificate. She taught all week at Newcomb and on Saturdays attended San Juan College in Farmington in the alternative program to get her certification. Now she has it and is fully licensed. They may have even paid for it. It was a busy year, but well worth it to her.

Good luck, I do think you shuold try to visit out here before you decide.
Mesavista
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico