Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 06:40 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,608,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub1120 View Post
How does a guy avoid it?
??? Texan's *made* Ruidoso... and still do by spending their $ here. This has always been a mountain resort for Texans... without them, there wouldn't be a town. People who complain about Texans here are just wanting to complain or make jokes about the "outsiders". Heck I even do it myself sometimes... like when I have to smell all the frying brakes from people coming down the ski road who don't how to drive in the mountains.

But I don't mean any ill will, and I doubt anyone else does either.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 06:44 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,215,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I live in TX and have spent quite a bit of time in Ruidoso. I haven't noticed much resentment toward Texans in Ruidoso. After all, Ruidoso makes a lot of money off them! For the record, I think some Texans are jerks and deserve being disliked.
Very true on both counts, but I'm sure that's the case with people from any state.

They sure don't seem to mind taking your money in Ruidoso.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:10 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,177,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
They sure don't seem to mind taking your money in Ruidoso.
Ruidoso dynamics are very complex in comparison with places where most of the property owners are full-time residents. In the Ruidoso area, most of the property owners are part-time residents, but that means a healthy tax base for the village and county entities. There is also a very stiff "lodger's tax" imposed on nightly rentals (motels, cabins). While non-resident owners must pay taxes, the same as permanent residents, they can't legally vote - even in local elections.

Utilities are billed monthly too, for those who don't disconnect when absent their properties here. And they had no voice when the waste treatment plant began assessing very high monthly fees to pay for needed upgrades. Of course they have the right to come and voice their opinion to various village and county boards, but without the right to vote, they really have no final say.

And most of the part-time home owners are Texans! I was once, until I chose to live in the area full time in retirement. I have had (and still have) members of my family who own properties here and live here both full and part time. In recent times - since the advent of NAFTA primarily - there are many properties owned by Mexican citizens and many others from Mexico who come as tourists. After Texans, they seem to constitute the next largest number of out-of-state license plates seen here.

PS I now sport NM license plates, but I also proudly display a burnt orange "longhorn" emblem on my rear window! While my front license plate with Zia symbol reads: "Native Sun"

Last edited by joqua; 12-18-2011 at 08:37 AM..

Old 12-31-2011, 08:01 AM

81 posts, read 192,506 times
Default TX bad reputation in NM or CO.

As a Texan I am sorry to hear that Texans have a "bad" reputation in New Mexico or Colorado. I have to admit that there are Texans who have done a lot to earn that reputation. Some Texans are really full of themselves and anything they don't know couldn't be knowledge in their view. But like everywhere, there are good people as well. I like both New Mexico and Colorado and have considered spending part of my retirement in one or both. I have visited both quite a bit, but I realize that the difference between visiting a place and living there can be huge. "Far away fields always seem greener than those close to you" as the saying goes. My overall view is that New Mexico is likely generally cheaper to live in, but seems less "refined" than Colorado in my view. I don't mean that in a bad way. Less "refined" can be good. Back to NM.

Remember that Ruidoso, NM is a tourist town that gets a large part of its business from Texas. It is not a good place to start with predetermined bad attitude toward Texans. I worked in education and more than a few educators have voiced the dream of retiring to a cute mountain town like Ruidoso. Some have done so. Some have returned to TX. Again, think of those far away fields.

I wish the best for you where ever you end up.

Best Wishes

Old 12-31-2011, 02:45 PM

139 posts, read 170,269 times
I think when people dislike texans its because they are jealous. Texans are for the most part Smart White and Rich ....... you should take some trips to different areas and satay for a few days and get a feel for the area's and see which you like best and then make your move.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:35 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,210,725 times
I live in Texas, but I take exception to the previous post. We don't all have oil wells and big ranches.

I'm certainly not rich, but I'm smart and white.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:28 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,093,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XmadisonX
... you should take some trips to different areas and satay for a few days ...
I have never satay'd ever in my whole life.

Should I ever get the urge to satay, there is no way
I could possibly satay for a few days without resting.

No one could possibly do it for that long anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico